SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

What is a good daily driver?

Search this Thread

Old 12-26-16, 09:02 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts
Default What is a good daily driver?

having recently bought my first and only car, a rare 1997 5-spd manual SC300, i've been loving every minute and every mile with it so far, but being in SF with a lowered car, it's not an ideal daily driver, especially since it's a rare 5spd... all the hills and bumps make me worry and clench my teeth every time i get off a decline at high speeds or approach a speed bump. with that being said, what's a good and relatively cheap daily driver (preferably manual)? i'd really like another 5spd SC300, possibly a 1992 since they're the most common of the bunch, but i'd love to hear any suggestions. and no i will not raise the car!!! #lowlife
Old 12-26-16, 09:18 PM
metaleckz
Racer

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Civic
corolla
miata
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-26-16, 09:34 PM
Bdub215
Lead Lap

Received 12 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezroni
having recently bought my first and only car, a rare 1997 5-spd manual SC300, i've been loving every minute and every mile with it so far, but being in SF with a lowered car, it's not an ideal daily driver, especially since it's a rare 5spd... all the hills and bumps make me worry and clench my teeth every time i get off a decline at high speeds or approach a speed bump. with that being said, what's a good and relatively cheap daily driver (preferably manual)? i'd really like another 5spd SC300, possibly a 1992 since they're the most common of the bunch, but i'd love to hear any suggestions. and no i will not raise the car!!! #lowlife
Drive your car. I daily drive my Turbo 92 SC300 5 speed. Rain, snow, shine. Doesn't matter. My car is lowered too
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-26-16, 09:42 PM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

its about being lowered but not scraping... its not a hard concept to grasp because when you slam the suspension you get rid of the millions of dollars of work Lexus put into designing it. If you lower it 2 maybe 3 inches install some good coil overs and adjust the suspension where its needed. You end up not scraping and having a car that handles better/stiffer than the comfortable yet capable ride Lexus designed originally.

I daily my 93 turbo manual sc300 with Tien fully adjustable coil overs.

I'm in Colorado where the roads are pretty bad

Last edited by scsexy; 12-26-16 at 09:47 PM.
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 12:14 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

A manual in San Fran? Crikey.
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 03:57 AM
leaderpvp
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Lexus IS 2nd Gen. is a great daily driver.
Doing it personally
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 04:08 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

A good daily driver? Many cars both old and new. Older generally gets my vote when it is a Toyota, Honda or maybe a piston-powered Mazda and some (some) Fords and some (some) GM's. Newer or new... plenty.

I also daily drive my 93 SC300 5-speed. I don't have it lowered but generally it will go anywhere except off-road. Hills that are extremely steep on both sides do bother me only because of not being able to see over the long nose. Speed bumps I just slow down for since I do have linear rate springs even at a stock-ish ride height.

I hated SF and L.A. hills in my old 5-speed torque-less Prelude. In the SC I really don't have the same problem unless I'm at 5,000 ft+ elevation.

I can understand wishing to be extra careful or keep the miles down on a 1997 original 5-speed but since it's the same exact thing as all other SC 5-speeds in practical terms I actually do think these are good daily drivers. The only downsides are fuel economy and a lack of traction control for truly bad inclement weather. In the rain (and since mine has a Torsen) I just drive carefully and with gentle steering, braking, shifting and accelerator inputs.

Beyond those things, assuming maintenance is up to date and any gremlins are addressed I think these are great daily drivers.

However, aside from the SC being just fine I'll be biased for a moment since suggestions are being asked for.

From personal experience you could do far worse for a practical daily than a 97-01 Prelude Base 5-speed that is in GOOD condition. Not abused but good condition. Leave the car stock including the engine and just follow the maintenance schedule. The most one should ever do is to throw on Koni Yellow shocks and H&R springs, Suspension Techniques sway bars and good stock size summer tires on the stock alloy rims. You would be surprised at how practical and reliable they can be while also being fun and decent on gas. Any modification beyond what I've suggested misses the point of those cars as engaging everyday practical coupes.

I owned an SH (5-speed manual only) version which had an active diff up front (dubbed "ATTS") that acts like an LSD but more in the torque vectoring sense and that really does make a huge difference in how the chassis handles. However... an SH model with a broken or abused ATTS transmission you do not want which is why I think the base open diff version is the most practical unless you find a good low miles SH that has been cared for. Gear type mechanical LSDs do exist for the Base 5-speed versions. I fully expected mine to go for 300k+ miles and you'll see some stock examples that easily do. Like S2000 engines (but the S2000's F20C >>> the H22A Prelude engine) they consume some oil by design depending on how much you push into the secondary cam lobes past 5200 rpm so checking the oil and topping occasionally between changes depending on the driving style is recommended. Other than that... they're great when used in 95% stock form.

Second to that (and still the SC 5-speed you already own), early Mini Cooper S's are pretty good too if in good shape.

For less colorful DD cars... if you want cheap, try a 1992-1996 Camry 2.2L 5S-FE. Hard to find in manual and I would not call them sporty but they are light, simple and practical cars that are easy to maintain. Or a Corolla.

Also 1994-1996 (at least 1995) Mercedes E300D sedans with the OM606 diesel non-turbo engines. They are bulletproof. Leave all stock and change nothing. They even come with a "sort-of LSD" called an "ASD" that partially locks on acceleration up to 19mph.

GS300's and LS400's also?

Still, I drive my SC every day. No issues as long as I have no maintenance or fixes to do.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-27-16 at 04:54 AM.
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 10:09 AM
atoledo
Rookie

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

What is your budget?

Do you want something that drives a bit more "sporty" or is more functional w/ cargo space?

My Vote 87-92 Volvo 240 Wagon. Incredibly reliable, easy to work on, safe, and surprisingly comfortable ride. You are on the West Coast so tons of volvo part yards. Most of them that are on the road have had all of the "quirks" worked out. I drove one with 250xxx from Boston to Seattle AND took the longest route possible. Over 5,000 miles, full of gear, not a single issue. There is definitely over 300xxx miles now on that engine. Most of the odometers quit before anything major mechanically. The Turbo version is much more fun to drive, but they are starting to get expensive and have the earlier body styling(which can be a plus or minus).

Also Scion XB, Civic, Miata. Lots of possibilities.
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 10:09 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

IS300's are getting cheap
Old 12-27-16, 01:31 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

1st Gen Scion xB (up to 2007)
Auto and Manual trans gas mileage doesn't appear to differ.
Lots of rear storage room in case you need to transport stuff.
Front feels extremely roomy because of the dash layout being pushed forward and the mild sloped windshield.
Reliable chain driven motor.
But most of all inexpensive and has that Toyota reliability.
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 03:14 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by metaleckz
Civic
corolla
miata
haha my friends say the same thing except for corolla

Originally Posted by Bdub215
Drive your car. I daily drive my Turbo 92 SC300 5 speed. Rain, snow, shine. Doesn't matter. My car is lowered too
i'd love to but i'm just afraid something bad will happen

Originally Posted by scsexy
when you slam the suspension you get rid of the millions of dollars of work Lexus put into designing it.

I daily my 93 turbo manual sc300 with Tien fully adjustable coil overs.

I'm in Colorado where the roads are pretty bad
SC seems like the choice to daily, it's super comf and reliable, thanks for the reply

Originally Posted by t2d2
A manual in San Fran? Crikey.
haha yeah it's actually enjoyable

Originally Posted by leaderpvp
Lexus IS 2nd Gen. is a great daily driver.
Doing it personally
don't know a whole lot about the IS but i was thinking of getting a 1st gen IS300 to keep the 2JZ in the family haha.. plus i love the taillights

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
A good daily driver? Many cars both old and new. Older generally gets my vote when it is a Toyota, Honda or maybe a piston-powered Mazda and some (some) Fords and some (some) GM's. Newer or new... plenty.

I also daily drive my 93 SC300 5-speed. I don't have it lowered

From personal experience you could do far worse for a practical daily than a 97-01 Prelude Base 5-speed that is in GOOD condition.

Second to that (and still the SC 5-speed you already own), early Mini Cooper S's are pretty good too if in good shape.

For less colorful DD cars... if you want cheap, try a 1992-1996 Camry 2.2L 5S-FE. Hard to find in manual and I would not call them sporty but they are light, simple and practical cars that are easy to maintain. Or a Corolla.

Also 1994-1996 (at least 1995) Mercedes E300D sedans with the OM606 diesel non-turbo engines. They are bulletproof. Leave all stock and change nothing. They even come with a "sort-of LSD" called an "ASD" that partially locks on acceleration up to 19mph.

GS300's and LS400's also?

Still, I drive my SC every day.
thanks a lot for the detailed response, seems like you've tried a lot of cars. i was also thinking of a prelude (4th gen because of looks ) but i have a friend that owned a 5th gen and swears by it, too. good to know of its reliability. i was also thinking of a 1UZ 2nd gen GS300.. gonna have to do more research on the LS

Originally Posted by atoledo
What is your budget?

Do you want something that drives a bit more "sporty" or is more functional w/ cargo space?

My Vote 87-92 Volvo 240 Wagon. Incredibly reliable, easy to work on, safe, and surprisingly comfortable ride.

Also Scion XB, Civic, Miata. Lots of possibilities.
budget at the moment, under $7K.. a coupe was at first ideal but the more i think about it (especially reading you guys' responses) a sedan would be sweet. i wouldn't need it specifically for the extra room but being able to drive more people around would be nice. my mom owns an ES330 and it was pretty nice to drive something with that much room

Originally Posted by jadu
IS300's are getting cheap
yup! thinking about it..

Originally Posted by Zerodrag
1st Gen Scion xB (up to 2007)
Auto and Manual trans gas mileage doesn't appear to differ.
Lots of rear storage room in case you need to transport stuff.
Front feels extremely roomy because of the dash layout being pushed forward and the mild sloped windshield.
Reliable chain driven motor.
But most of all inexpensive and has that Toyota reliability.
ugh haha no offence but i always hated the look of that
Old 12-27-16, 04:49 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

don't know a whole lot about the IS but i was thinking of getting a 1st gen IS300 to keep the 2JZ in the family haha.. plus i love the taillights
Also a great choice. I've looked into them myself for the future and they're great to drive. They are USDM versions of the 1998-2005 Toyota Altezza and its European Lexus IS cousins. We only got the 2JZ-GE VVT-i version here with an A650E Auto or an optional W55 5-speed manual. A Torsen LSD was also a factory option on M/T and A/T models. The overseas versions also used a 1G-FE 2.0L I6 and famously the 3S-GE 2.0L I4 BEAMS engine with an Aisin AY6 6-speed manual. Designed by the same chief engineer who originally oversaw the original Corolla AE86 that everyone loves. Very good pedigree and of course infamous worldwide for xJZ-GTE swaps and NA-T builds.

thanks a lot for the detailed response, seems like you've tried a lot of cars. i was also thinking of a prelude (4th gen because of looks ) but i have a friend that owned a 5th gen and swears by it, too. good to know of its reliability.
Never pass up a chance to test drive an unfamiliar car even once

The 92-96 4th Gen Prelude is good looking, slightly lighter weight and has the same quality of construction as the 97-01 models. They both have fully independent double wishbone suspensions front and rear. 4th gen Prelude S had the 2.2L F22A1 (135hp). 4th gen Prelude Si had the 2.3L H23A1 (160hp). 4th gen Prelude VTEC had the H22A1 (190hp). LSD's not available in the USA from the factory but they're available used and on the aftermarket. They're considered just as reliable as the 5th gens, which only ever came with the 2.2L H22A4 (200hp). The 5th gen Prelude Type SH has slightly different front suspension control arms (compared to the 5th gen Base) due to the ATTS active diff which are supposed to work with the diff to minimize torque steer. I can tell you it probably does do something because I loved the almost neutral handling for the ten years I owned one. However a Base or 4th gen is still considered a great handler once you update the suspension and install an LSD.

Other than the inherent limitations of FWD and the H22A's open deck FRM cylinder liners not being compatible with forged pistons (boost applications require iron cylinder sleeves... but this should be a moot issue to you anyway), the brakes are my only gripe... the stock ones were good but I wanted better ones even when running Hawk HPS pads. The budget-ish or bolt-in ish upgrade for both 4th and 5th gens is to install either early Acura NSX two-piston front calipers or certain year and model Acura Legend GS front calipers. Sounds a bit like our LS400 and MKIV-TT caliper swaps, eh? That is NOT to say Preludes have bad brakes-- they have good braking systems from the factory.

I just have been convinced that four piston front calipers that evenly squeeze both sides of the rotors are what I would want on any car I own.

Our brake upgrade options are another reason why I love the SC. Like the stock braking capabilities on 1995-2000 LS400's my SC's brakes are always rock solid in all conditions.

Also, I only recommend 5-speed manual Preludes. Their automatic transmissions are not considered reliable. The manual gearboxes are solid.

On 5g Preludes the stock 16x6.5 alloy rims on 205's or 215's are preferred but so are factory 16x8 1993-1995 RX7 rims running 225 width or 235 width tires at most. As before, once you deviate much too far beyond the stock setup specs from the factory there comes a rapid point of diminishing returns.

The last two generations of the Prelude are great cars. I only fully understood and truly appreciated them when I stopped focusing on modifying the drivetrain. Ultimately their platform, drive layout and engine block design (from the factory) limits them compared to the potential found with an SC300, MKIV, 240SX, FRS/BRZ, RX7, Z32 300ZX, G35/G37, IS300, etc. (or a Mustang or LS Camaro) and even a CRX, Miata and Mini Cooper are more much more competitive than a Prelude at autocross but if you buy one and only change the suspension, run better brake pads, better tires and maybe install an LSD (unless you have an SH model) and leave the rest stock Honda it really does shine as a unique budget DD coupe that you can always count on and which doesn't get 15mpg or less in the city. Canyon carving in a Prelude with a good suspension setup and anything but an open diff is highly rewarding.

An SC300/Soarer is an incomparably better car (but also completely different and aimed at a different market in both the USA and Japan) and the FRS/BRZ is also better but Preludes are very good everyday reliable fun and nimble cars that have style and driver-centric simplicity. Revving them out to 7200rpm is certainly fun.

But I do emphasize finding one that has been taken care of and not abused. Mine was in perfect shape like a 40k mile car at 140k when it was rear-ended. I nearly bought a second used Type SH in 2010 with barely 125k on the odometer that simply was not taken care of: failing ATTS differential, poorly cared for interior and a valvetrain that did not feel like it had ever been adjusted (valve lash adjustment is required every 60k with the plugs/cap/rotor and timing belt and water pump). I also doubted the oil level had been checked periodically or changed every 3,500k miles. The seller had a turd on her hands which was worth $2300 or less and had lied to me about its condition. I recall she was asking about $8k at the time. I walked away. Fast.

Take care of a car in accordance with what the TSRM dictates and maybe what some fellow owners suggest and they may run for ages. Don't... and they will not. Unless of course you have a 2JZ-GE or 1UZ-FE Toyota/Lexus vehicle which are apparently indestructible for a long time even with poor maintenance.

Also, Preludes did not share their platform with any other Honda/Acura. Some parts yes but not the platform. That is one of the big reasons they were quickly discontinued once sales dropped off. Honda did things very differently with their 1980's and 1990's models.

i was also thinking of a 1UZ 2nd gen GS300.. gonna have to do more research on the LS
I think the 2JZ-GE GS300 or 1UZ-FE VVT-i GS400 are both good choices. The 1989-1994 LS400 is a good car as is the more modern 1995-2000 LS400 with 290hp/300ft-lbs from the VVT-i V8. I prefer the latter LS400 but I am biased since one is in the family. Completely stock it is very reliable, very good looking outside and in and it feels great. The A650E 5-speed automatic (also found in the GS400 and 98-00 SC400) doesn't have the best shift logic programming for my tastes but it's probably the wrong kind of car to expect more from. While there is plenty of body roll it is completely an upscale luxury car from an era just before dashboards were taken over by telematics and big screens.

I also liked the suggestion of an early 90's Volvo wagon.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-27-16 at 05:34 PM.
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 05:05 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Depends on your needs for a daily driver. I have a real long commute and up until this year went through a '96 Honda Civic sedan (5 speed and got 328K) to a '07 Honda Civic coupe (5 speed and got 240K) before switching to the wife's "hand me down"
'01 LS430.

I drive the automatic SC once a week and for my lengthy drive I started to appreciate not having to shift in stop and go rush hour traffic (now almost a daily, evening occurrence West bound through downtown Sac) which convinced me to sell the '07 Civic instead of the older LS430. The LS430 is great car to drive every day and if not great gas mileage the ride comfort is fantastic. The large cabin, 4 doors, and a really large trunk is a luxury.

Your $7K budget may not quite get you to an LS430 in the SF area as used ones tend to be well kept and in high demand but if you come across one that floats your boat you would not regret the choice and then you'd have 2 fine L cars in your stable....
Ezroni (12-27-16)
Old 12-27-16, 06:35 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Also, Preludes did not share their platform with any other Honda/Acura. Some parts yes but not the platform. That is one of the big reasons they were quickly discontinued once sales dropped off.
Really? I always thought the Prelude and Integra were closely related.
Old 12-27-16, 09:27 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

@KahnBB6
thanks man. i love reading from people who know their stuff

Originally Posted by Duck05
Depends on your needs for a daily driver.

The LS430 is great car to drive every day and if not great gas mileage the ride comfort is fantastic. The large cabin, 4 doors, and a really large trunk is a luxury.

Your $7K budget may not quite get you to an LS430 in the SF area as used ones tend to be well kept and in high demand but if you come across one that floats your boat you would not regret the choice and then you'd have 2 fine L cars in your stable....
tbh i don't drive much on the weekdays to work (~14 miles per day M-F) but the areas i drive in have some pretty nasty potholes and uneven pavement that i grit my teeth every time i pass/drive over. yes it's my fault for driving a lowered car/stretched tires but hey, i enjoy it on the weekends and that's all that matters

as for the LS430.. look super comfy.. Lexus does it right

Quick Reply: What is a good daily driver?