SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How often do people compliment your car?

Search this Thread

Old 01-13-17, 01:56 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Originally Posted by silkiechic

Car is 24 years old and the usual comments of awe happen when people find out it's as old as it is. As for strangers making comments, it's usually men in the 30-50 age range that make comments. Often at gas stations, almost always when I'm fueling, by myself.. . I am 30 however and people younger than me rarely talk to me. I've had this car since I was 17!!!
Is your car original paint on the body? If it is, then that is amazingly clean for its age.
Old 01-13-17, 09:56 PM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Is your car original paint on the body? If it is, then that is amazingly clean for its age.
Thanks! As far as I know, with the exception of the 97+ bumper, 97+ side skirts, spoiler, and the rear drivers quarter panel that some low-life crushed in a hit and run, yes, the rest of the car has it's original paint, which is thicker than any paint I've been able to find on newer cars. It has 201k miles on it and although I've used it like a truck hauling baby livestock and feed, I've spent many hours keeping it clean inside and out. She's old and I've yet to come across another in real life that is in as good exterior/interior cosmetic condition, as they are far and few in between. The engine/suspension however, needs work.

The leather is getting hard despite conditioning/cleaning over the years and the driver left hand side seat bolstering has worn through the upper layer, but for the most part, the insides are not bad for it's age. It just makes me sad to think she's not going to last forever, and that so many of these cars are trashed being "drifted" and "raced". But kids were doing that with these cars when I was a kid, so it's not unexpected.
The following users liked this post:
Ezroni (01-16-17)
Old 01-14-17, 05:17 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Car is 24 years old and the usual comments of awe happen when people find out it's as old as it is. As for strangers making comments, it's usually men in the 30-50 age range that make comments. Often at gas stations, almost always when I'm fueling, by myself.. . I am 30 however and people younger than me rarely talk to me. I've had this car since I was 17!!!
That is beautiful. One of the best and most rare colors on the SC.

I agree the paint on newer cars is not of the same quality. Even German cars are becoming worse which is sad to see because they usually have good paint. Now it's thinner and and scratches and swirls from any small mistake.
Old 01-14-17, 06:31 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
I agree the paint on newer cars is not of the same quality. Even German cars are becoming worse which is sad to see because they usually have good paint. Now it's thinner and and scratches and swirls from any small mistake.
Car prices haven't kept up with inflation, so they have to cut costs wherever possible to maintain profit margins. (I've been told much of the cost cutting is in the form of more and cheaper plastics.) A quick search brought up this example, with adjusted costs being fairly steady since the mid '80s and actually decreasing since '99:

http://wgntv.com/2016/04/25/the-aver...you-were-born/
Old 01-15-17, 07:35 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 550 Likes on 369 Posts

Thanks! As far as I know, with the exception of the 97+ bumper, 97+ side skirts, spoiler, and the rear drivers quarter panel that some low-life crushed in a hit and run, yes, the rest of the car has it's original paint, which is thicker than any paint I've been able to find on newer cars. It has 201k miles on it and although I've used it like a truck hauling baby livestock and feed, I've spent many hours keeping it clean inside and out. She's old and I've yet to come across another in real life that is in as good exterior/interior cosmetic condition, as they are far and few in between. The engine/suspension however, needs work.
Did they only paint your car on the quarter panel when they fixed it? When my quarter panel was hit, they made me paint both sides of the car and the roof because there was no separation in the body. I wonder if that was because the color of my car made it impossible to blend.

The leather is getting hard despite conditioning/cleaning over the years and the driver left hand side seat bolstering has worn through the upper layer, but for the most part, the insides are not bad for it's age. It just makes me sad to think she's not going to last forever, and that so many of these cars are trashed being "drifted" and "raced". But kids were doing that with these cars when I was a kid, so it's not unexpected.
The upper portion of the seat will tear eventually. I think mine finally tore all the way through at 180-185k miles. I started seeing the creases around 130k miles. I got lucky and found mint condition seats from a 97 to replace my old seat with 1 tear.
Ezroni (01-17-17)
Old 01-15-17, 09:29 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Did they only paint your car on the quarter panel when they fixed it? When my quarter panel was hit, they made me paint both sides of the car and the roof because there was no separation in the body. I wonder if that was because the color of my car made it impossible to blend.
I think it depends on the artistic ability of the painter. My neighbor's metallic sparkle green truck got hit in that area, and he found a travelling guy that was able to not only repair the deep dent but blend the paint in. Neither seemed possible without panel replacement and full re-paint to the next body line, but I couldn't find any indications of the work. And he did it outdoors alongside the highway!
Ezroni (01-17-17)
Old 01-16-17, 05:29 AM
wickedtaco
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts
Default sc

Hello All, my '93 sc 5spd, is twenty three yrs old and is better built then my 06 gs430. Oh, more enjoyable than my 06 gs430.
I get a compliments and stares all the time. I'll never sell.
​​​​​​​
Ezroni (01-17-17)
Old 01-16-17, 08:27 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That is beautiful. One of the best and most rare colors on the SC.
Thanks! I always thought the blue color was the most rare. But then again, I've only seen a few other red ones, lots more black/white/gold in this area.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Car prices haven't kept up with inflation, so they have to cut costs wherever possible to maintain profit margins. (I've been told much of the cost cutting is in the form of more and cheaper plastics.) A quick search brought up this example, with adjusted costs being fairly steady since the mid '80s and actually decreasing since '99:

http://wgntv.com/2016/04/25/the-aver...you-were-born/
That's interesting data. I also think additional environmental concerns have changed the types of materials used in cars. More eco friendly paint/plastics, and more stringent regulations across the board. So not only are the car prices not rising with inflation, the additional cost from regulations have eaten more out of the bottom line per vehicle.

The upper portion of the seat will tear eventually. I think mine finally tore all the way through at 180-185k miles. I started seeing the creases around 130k miles. I got lucky and found mint condition seats from a 97 to replace my old seat with 1 tear.
They charged me like 2k for the rear quarter panel fix and were able to blend the paint to match. They only blended up to the door seam and just over the crease line in the side. It took them 2 tries to get it right. You could tell they didn't repaint any higher the first time, because the color/pearl didn't match! They blended it beautifully, but it had a chameleon effect with the new area being lighter. I went back, they were like, we'll fix it, and the 2nd time it was spot on. I could tell they didn't go all the way around the car because the new areas had no swirls in the clear coat and the rest of the car still had all it's blemishes. lol. They said it would be several thousand more, to repaint the rest of the car (due to the pearl) and to fix the paint chip in my hood so I didn't do it. It was hard to justify the value of the car in paint, when only the rear quarter panel was to be covered by insurance. This was almost 10 years ago.

As for my seat, so far it's holding on. I leather condition it annually and I do live in the PNW. The sun is not harsh and I'm parked under cover most of the time.*crossing fingers* it does not tear.
Ezroni (01-17-17)
Old 01-16-17, 08:43 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by wickedtaco
Hello All, my '93 sc 5spd, is twenty three yrs old and is better built then my 06 gs430. Oh, more enjoyable than my 06 gs430.
I did a ton of car shopping because the SC is so long in the tooth. I felt that the only the LS was equivalent in quality of craftsmanship, and that for the IS or CT's, I might as well have been sitting in a Toyota Camry XLE trim car for a significantly lower price. The GS's felt really close, but in the end I deemed another Lexus to be just too expensive for me to justify for what I would be getting.

In the end, I looked at the sedans/crossovers/trucks offered by Toyota, Mazda, Subaru, Honda, and even considered Fords. I would say that Ford/Lincoln has improved it's craftmanship over the last 25 years, but that both Toyota/Lexus and Honda have slipped. I have no reference for Mazda and Subaru. In the end I picked up a 2017 Honda Ridgeline for my new daily driver/lifestyle car. It fits my needs but is not nearly as fun to drive as the SC. I've told myself I would never sell the SC, but those thoughts of selling her come and go. Have to justify the cost of ownership of an older car that needs work (headgasket/suspension) and will need work (all the other original parts). Plus it is the 3rd vehicle for 2 drivers.

Last edited by silkiechic; 01-16-17 at 08:47 AM.
Old 01-16-17, 09:44 AM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Absolutely love Garnet Pearl!
Old 01-16-17, 09:58 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
Glad to read that there are still SC owners who has a deep love for the SC.

That simply tells me you will do only what is best for the car !
always.. been my dream car since i was old enough to remember

love it man, you really take great care of it. good on you for not ever selling it
Old 01-17-17, 07:26 AM
silkiechic
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Ezroni
always.. been my dream car since i was old enough to remember

love it man, you really take great care of it. good on you for not ever selling it
Thanks! But that whole selling thing has brushed my mind since it's now our 3rd car for 2 drivers... I'm holding out! Taking her in for her last emissions test today. *crossing fingers*
Ezroni (01-17-17)
Old 01-17-17, 09:03 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

a few shops i've quoted to paint a scrape on the left rear quarter panel required me to have the whole roof and other side's QP painted (code 202 black onyx) since the whole roof is connected

Originally Posted by wickedtaco
awesome, any pics? love hearing that you'll never sell. SC holds her beauty so well
Old 03-06-17, 10:09 AM
MaxFlii
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I hear people talking as I drive past through the neighborhood. Men in early twenties or late teens usually shout nice car or that its clean.
I've gotten some comments in small grocery stores.
when I take it to get alignment or to my hobby shop for the lift I usually get the most comments... people cant believe how clean it is, but i'm actually frustrated at how beat up its gotten.
I have a 93 5 speed sc300 Garnett pearl that JUST hit over 100k miles and I ALWAYS try to keep clean.... I live in an apartment complex with tiny road/ parking spots on both sides of the road running through the complex... I have been hit on 3 of four corners just light enough to leave some paint.... so frustrating. still looks very clean, lowered on work vs-sd. I can post some pictures once I clean and try to get some of this damn paint off....
The only chance I would ever sell my car is if I had a shot at a clean working Manual swap sc400 with right color combo. It'd have to be a perfect situation... otherwise I'm a Lifer with my current SC.

Last edited by MaxFlii; 03-06-17 at 10:41 AM. Reason: Making it relevant to the thread lol
Ezroni (03-06-17)
Old 03-06-17, 10:22 AM
ScaddenMan
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have owned my car for less than a week, and I've already gotten tons of compliments! Huge change driving this car around versus my 1995 honda accord. I found an owner that babied the car, glad I was able to find an SC in this good condition! Any tips on restoring front headlights? I would prefer to keep the car stock, since everything is currently besides the rims!

Last edited by ScaddenMan; 03-06-17 at 10:28 AM.

Quick Reply: How often do people compliment your car?