SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How often do people compliment your car?

Search this Thread

Old 11-26-16, 01:01 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

When my car was still on IS350 rims at stock height I would get stopped a lot at groceries stores, costco, and gas stations. It was mostly 50+ year old men that would compliment on how well kept my car was. A few of them told me they bought the SC back when it was brand new, but they sold it. I've also gotten the occasional offer to buy my car too, but I usually decline.

Now that the car is lowered with aftermarket wheels it usually attracts a younger crowd that just tells me my car is clean and how they've always wanted a SC. Whenever the older age group (30-50) approaches me they usually ask about my wheels as a conversation starter.

I remember there was one time I was leaving a work event and the valet that brought me my car was a SC owner too, and he was so excited to drive my car. lol

Last edited by Blkexcoupe; 11-26-16 at 01:05 PM.
Old 11-26-16, 06:24 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Mine barely had paint on the top due to it being an AZ car...got a couple compliments. Then again, it wasn't mint and all it had was a drop and rims...

Whenever I see an SC driving by on the road I chase them down and wave at them like family.
Old 11-28-16, 06:04 AM
Lexcalibre
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Receive compliments in a variety of situations from many different ages. Some are curious as they recognize the Lexus badge, but have never seen one like it. For those who ask what year it is, I always respond it is a Lexus classic as a full size coupe!

Once had a much older man approach at night in a parking lot under neon lighting (pearl white finish kind of glowing) telling me he had been admiring the car for several minutes. He said it was the most beautiful car he had ever seen. I had a great time with him that evening talking gearhead stuff about his classic cars of the 50s and 60s.

Makes life interesting to engage the people who do compliment your car. Many have backgrounds that relate to appreciating beauty or automobiles. We are blessed to have such a classic car instilling pride of ownership -- a unique quality!

Old 11-28-16, 08:34 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Clean SC's get noticed....but majority of the ones I see on the road are DD's and they are always beat to hell.

The UPS guy that always delivers car parts to my house always comments on how he always wanted and SC and asks me what I am doing to the car next....lol.."You spend a lot of money on that car" is usually what his response is...hahah

Get lots of comments on the engine swap. and usually draws some of crowd when they hear it spooling up!!!

Last edited by CatManD3W; 11-28-16 at 08:43 AM.
Old 11-28-16, 09:07 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
When my car was still on IS350 rims at stock height I would get stopped a lot at groceries stores, costco, and gas stations. It was mostly 50+ year old men that would compliment on how well kept my car was. A few of them told me they bought the SC back when it was brand new, but they sold it. I've also gotten the occasional offer to buy my car too, but I usually decline.

Now that the car is lowered with aftermarket wheels it usually attracts a younger crowd that just tells me my car is clean and how they've always wanted a SC. Whenever the older age group (30-50) approaches me they usually ask about my wheels as a conversation starter.

I remember there was one time I was leaving a work event and the valet that brought me my car was a SC owner too, and he was so excited to drive my car. lol
pretty sweet you met people who've owned the car brand new. don't ever sell it!

Originally Posted by SC400slide
Mine barely had paint on the top due to it being an AZ car...got a couple compliments. Then again, it wasn't mint and all it had was a drop and rims...

Whenever I see an SC driving by on the road I chase them down and wave at them like family.
lol i always stick the thumb out when i see another one

Originally Posted by Lexcalibre
i'm sure you felt real good speaking to that gentleman!!! your car looks great. glad to know this car ages very, very well

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Clean SC's get noticed....but majority of the ones I see on the road are DD's and they are always beat to hell.

The UPS guy that always delivers car parts to my house always comments on how he always wanted and SC and asks me what I am doing to the car next....lol.."You spend a lot of money on that car" is usually what his response is...hahah

Get lots of comments on the engine swap. and usually draws some of crowd when they hear it spooling up!!!
yeah tell me about it man.. there's an SC near my house with disgustingly yellow heads/fogs, paint peeling everywhere and rust spreading all over... pains me to look at it every time i pass by it. people either take great care of these cars or not at all lol.

lol i'm sure he hopes you'd sell it one day.

turbo'd SC's are very rare, very unexpected. i still haven't seen one yet, would love to
Old 11-28-16, 09:14 PM
SC510
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Ezroni
yeah man i'm in SF. hoping to go to some local meets in the future
You're from the bay? We should try to link up with some other SC guys in the future. I'm out here in the East Bay
Old 11-28-16, 09:19 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SC510
You're from the bay? We should try to link up with some other SC guys in the future. I'm out here in the East Bay
yeah bro, San Fran. i go to oakland/hayward every now and then. would be sweet to meet up with other Bay Area SC's
Old 11-28-16, 09:24 PM
SC510
Pole Position

yeah bro, San Fran. i go to oakland/hayward every now and then. would be sweet to meet up with other Bay Area SC's
I make out it too Frisco every so often. Usually on Mission. If i see another SC then i know who it is haha
Old 11-29-16, 09:14 AM
Sc375
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

to bad my triple plate clutch makes my car sound broken at light or stop lol like marbles in a tin coffee can
Old 11-29-16, 10:44 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

turbo'd SC's are very rare, very unexpected. i still haven't seen one yet, would love to
I can't imagine there would be a lot of turbo'd SC driving around San Fran. My friend told me he doesn't even bother driving his SC in SF because its too loud and smells of pollution. He said the people in the cars around him would fan away the exhaust fumes and would give him the death stare. Eventually he bought an electric car and just leaves the SC at home.
Old 11-29-16, 02:05 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

^ Conforming to the non-conformists.
Old 11-29-16, 04:34 PM
ar3
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm 'hella' down for that
Old 11-29-16, 06:07 PM
gtsfire
Lead Lap

I get compliments all the time. Three in just the past couple of days.
Attached Thumbnails How often do people compliment your car?-image-1226431038.png  
Old 11-29-16, 07:42 PM
ar3
Pit Crew

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by gtsfire
Where are people getting TT wheels, I've been looking for some.
Old 11-29-16, 09:30 PM
Ezroni
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by SC510
I make out it too Frisco every so often. Usually on Mission. If i see another SC then i know who it is haha
lol i'm in the outer sunset but sometimes i go to the mission or hunters point, maybe we'll bump into each other

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I can't imagine there would be a lot of turbo'd SC driving around San Fran. My friend told me he doesn't even bother driving his SC in SF because its too loud and smells of pollution. He said the people in the cars around him would fan away the exhaust fumes and would give him the death stare. Eventually he bought an electric car and just leaves the SC at home.
haha well sometimes i go to sac and hayward, much quieter roads there, not nearly as many hills lol. at least he didn't sell the SC!

Originally Posted by ar3
I'm 'hella' down for that
lol you know it

Originally Posted by gtsfire
looking that clean i don't doubt it

Quick Reply: How often do people compliment your car?