92 sc400 overheating; Has coolant, fans running normal

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-16, 08:56 AM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 92 sc400 overheating; Has coolant, fans running normal

Hi

I was hoping I could get some help here. My car is overheating when I drive it. This happened a few months ago. Dealer said it needed coolant and refilled it for me free of charge, said I may have a leak.

Now my car is overheating again. I checked the reservoir and it is full of coolant. The fan seems to run low and then switch to high speed after a while. Does this rule out the thermostat and mean I may have a bigger problem like the water pump?

I see coolant spilled over on top of the tray as if things were leaking but again, reservoir looks full.

Help would be appreciated. Thanks!
Old 11-13-16, 10:04 AM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

Jimmy .. I had a slow leak till one hot summer day the small fissure cracked up. I could only tell once I took the radiator out as the leak was in-between the frame and radiator. for 95 SC the top of the radiator is molded plastic.

The other problem was that the hydraulic fan was not kicking up to high speed. There is a test point that turns on the high speed, but I could not tell if the speed was high or low. Once i fixed the bad connector, now I can tell what high speed is ,... it kicks up a storm.

Have you system pressure tested ... [I was unable to do that with a loan a tool program... you may have better luck].

Needless to remind you ,,, driving with engine temp high can kill the engine. Pull over and shut off.

Salim
Old 11-13-16, 10:05 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

How hot does the car get? Does it shoot all the way to hot or does it sit somewete between the half and hot?

How long does it take for it to start getting hot?

How much coolant leaks in how much period of time?

Thermostat is a possibility.
Old 11-13-16, 10:12 AM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

Hi

Thanks for the replies. I haven't had the system pressure tested, I've got it sitting in my driveway and was hoping I could find a way to fix before spending the money for tow+fix. I may need to try to get a loan system for testing

When I turn the car on while it's on cold, and let it idle, it will stay low. I hit the pedal a few times and get it to the "in-between" spot where it usually sits when things are normal. I ten put the car on reverse and drive it down he driveway. I see it creeping up. I put it on driveand drive back to the original spot and the stick is creeping up until it gets to about 3/4 and I turn it off. It doesn't move up much while on idle, it stays a little higher than normal but doesn't move up fast, it's a very very slow creep upwards (when on idle).

Thanks so much!
Old 11-13-16, 06:16 PM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

I had one more thing to add in hopes of this helping someone help me. I noticed that when I remove the reservoir cap and turn the car on to idle, it sucks in the bit of coolant that's sitting on top. I then add about the equivalent of two bottle caps and it's full again. Then, after a few seconds that bit is sucked in too and a big air bubble pops. I'm then able to add about two bottle caps worth of coolant and the same thing happens (few seconds pass and it sucks in the coolant, then big air bubble pops and I'm able to fill just a bit more).

Thanks for any suggestions
Old 11-13-16, 09:21 PM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Does the car blow white smoke? and the car doesn't leak coolant correct? From the radiator or hoses?
Old 11-14-16, 09:55 AM
Sc400Jimmy
Rookie

No skoke is coming out. I noticed the reservoir is actually empty but then right under the radiator cap there is coolant. When I turn the car on , after a while a big bubble comes out and then the coolant gets sucked in. Then I'm able to add more coolant and the same thing happens. No stream of bubbles or anything but after about 20 seconds a big bubble pops and the coolant gets sucked in again. Thanks
Old 11-15-16, 12:34 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Hmm strange. Try bleeding the system. Let it idle for 10-15 minutes. Ans just open up the radiator cap.

After that it should have settled and you can top off the radiator.
Old 11-15-16, 05:55 PM
LoudonMan
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Angry

Originally Posted by Golden95SC
Hmm strange. Try bleeding the system. Let it idle for 10-15 minutes. Ans just open up the radiator cap.

After that it should have settled and you can top off the radiator.
And if that doesn't work, you may have a blown head gasket from running it too hot. Sorry to be the bearer of bad news.