SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1999 SC300 missing keys

Search this Thread

Old 10-26-16, 08:31 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

I had the idea overnight that the trunk lock would be a much easier one to access for checking the key code, so I pulled back the panel this morning on the '98, which I know the code for. The trunk lock cylinder has the code in the same spot, mostly covered by the lock sensor. Unfortunately, it doesn't match the known code for the doors and ignition. The non-valet cylinders must be coded differently.

Luxor, any idea if the trunk key code is a subset of the door lock code, and if knowing one can be used to look up the other?
Old 10-26-16, 09:29 AM
lem321
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Reprogramming key

When I got my SC 400, it came with three keys: an original Master (everything worked), another Master (wouldn't start ignition but would open doors and rear hatch) and a valet. I had to reprogram the second Master and everything worked as it should. There is a series of steps to do this. If you do a google search, you'll find it.

Here's is one set of instructions (I had a different one also. Not sure this is the correct one). Good Luck!

Reprogramming Lexus key

Programing Instructions for Lexus Keyless Remote:

1. Start with key out of switch, driver’s door open, all other doors and trunk closed, doors unlocked.

2. Insert key in ignition, DO NOT TURN ON, and remove key.

3. Using drivers side power door lock button, lock and unlock doors 5 times within 40 seconds, ending with doors unlocked.

4. Close driver’s door and open it. Again lock and unlock doors 5 times within 40 seconds, ending with doors unlocked.

5. Insert key into ignition and turn from LOCK to ON to LOCK one time. Remove key from ignition.

6. Door locks will cycle one time.

7. Press lock button on transmitter for at least one second. Door locks will cycle.

10. Within 20 seconds, close drivers door and open it and press button on transmtter again for at least one second.

11. Door locks will cycle. Wait 20 seconds and registration will be completed.

**if it does not work, start over from beginning, it may take several attempts. If it does not work, contact your local dealer.

Keymam.com

TYPE B

Lexus Key and Remote Programming

Key Programming 1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your

key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key.

If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.

Remote Programming 1. Close and lock all doors. Unlock and open drivers door.
2. Put key into ignition and remove. Do not turn it on.
3. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
4. Close and open drivers door.
5. Using the electric lock switch. Lock and unlock 5 times. (Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock,Lock, Unlock, Lock, Unlock)
6. Put key into ignition. Turn to "ON", turn off and remove.
7. You will see the door locks cycle by themselves.

If the door locks do not cycle (lock and unlock) by themselves then the car isn’t in programming mode and you must start over.

8. On the remote, press and hold the LOCK and the UNLOCK button at the same time for no more than 2 seconds.
9. On the remote, press the LOCK button for no more than 1 second.

AT THIS POINT, the locks should cycle by themselves ONE time. This means the procedure was accepted.

IF the locks cycle twice it has failed.

The most common reason for programming failure is because the car didn’t receive a good signal from the remote. To fix this problem try these tips. 1) Stand outside of the car while you are performing steps 8 and 9. 2) Don’t hold the remote buttons down as long.

As long as the car is still in programming mode you can keep trying steps 8 and 9 until you complete the programming. If you wait too long and the car exits the programming mode then you must start over.

After you get the remote to program then continue on with step 10.

10. Close and open door to end programming procedure.
Old 10-26-16, 08:47 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by survyor2
The dealer told me the only way they cut keys is from the VIN. They cannot create a key from an existing key. They gave me my money back so I was not charged. They did try to "trace the key". I guess a computer can read the key. It came up with nothing on the valet key which he told me was odd.

Maybe I should go to another dealer?
My dealer cuts replacement keys by tracing the original key. VIN cuts are only made when customers have completely lost their keys and have solid proof of ownership of their Lexus. When we trace the keys, it gives us a code and the code should match the code on the lock cylinders. The key machine will not give any code if the key is worn down pretty badly.

You should try going to another dealer since every dealer is a little different.
Old 10-26-16, 08:54 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2

Luxor, any idea if the trunk key code is a subset of the door lock code, and if knowing one can be used to look up the other?
I looked up key code related stuff in the Lexus library and I didn't see anything regarding key codes at all. So I doubt there are any subset door lock codes .
Old 10-26-16, 09:22 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luxor
I looked up key code related stuff in the Lexus library and I didn't see anything regarding key codes at all. So I doubt there are any subset door lock codes .
Oh well, worth a shot. Thanks for checking.
Old 10-27-16, 09:35 AM
Golden95SC
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If I remember correctly there was a shop online that offered this service. By sending them your vin and they had the ability to recut new factory keys from it for about 75$?

I needed a spare key so I went out and found the site at that time. And I think they even offered theirr service on eBay.
Old 10-27-16, 02:47 PM
ThomasGS4
Lexus Test Driver

Received 373 Likes on 218 Posts

Golden95SC, take a look at the previous replies.
Old 10-29-16, 06:41 PM
survyor2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some of these to work out the issue.

I had another issue that I don't think is related. The transmitter unlocks and locks the passenger door as it should but does not unlock or lock the drivers door. I do hear clicking at the driver's door latch. I removed the door panel and the mechanism is hard to access. The hard key unlocks and locks the door as it should. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dennis
Old 10-29-16, 07:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I had another issue that I don't think is related. The transmitter unlocks and locks the passenger door as it should but does not unlock or lock the drivers door. I do hear clicking at the driver's door latch. I removed the door panel and the mechanism is hard to access. The hard key unlocks and locks the door as it should.
Weird, I'm dealing with the exact same thing on the SC300, but with the power lock/unlock (from either control switch or the passenger lock, which locks/unlocks both) not the transmitter. I swapped in a used lock actuator because the rod was broken from rolling down the window, and I'm not sure whether the replacement mechanism was fully functional.

What I've noticed is the driver's side actuator appears to be trying to move the lock button, but isn't quite strong enough to do so. You can see a little wiggle to the button when the noise is triggered. So, I'm thinking it's an issue with a tired lock actuator. I had to replace the window actuator at the same time, which made the lock assembly significantly easier to get to. I'm not looking forward to doing that again with the window rail still in place.
Old 10-30-16, 01:10 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I found a possible solution:

I had this problem when I first got the car (got a 92 like 3 years ago) it was a problem with the tension in the wire, fixed it by adjusting the plastic piece near the end of the wire. If I remember correctly turning one way tightens it and other loosens it.

edit: (I should explain, it's the tension between the plastic piece and the 3 inches away where it connects to interior door lock. If it's too loose it doesn't move anything I think)
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post2492391

I'll give that a try as soon as I hook the power back up. I looked at the old lock actuator and it's definitely a threaded end cap that the white clip on the lock cable goes over, so there could well be something to that.

Edit: Tried it out and no luck, even though the barrels on the good and bad doors were previously adjusted a couple threads differently.

Last edited by t2d2; 10-31-16 at 12:19 PM.
Old 10-30-16, 10:07 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

Thanks for the suggestions. I'll try some of these to work out the issue.

I had another issue that I don't think is related. The transmitter unlocks and locks the passenger door as it should but does not unlock or lock the drivers door. I do hear clicking at the driver's door latch. I removed the door panel and the mechanism is hard to access. The hard key unlocks and locks the door as it should. Any ideas?

Thanks
Dennis
Can you hear the motor spinning when you click the transmitter? I know on the 2GS and other lexus/toyota models the door lock actuator motors burn out with time. I don't think it is a common issue on the SC, but it is worth looking into.
Old 11-04-16, 04:42 AM
survyor2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by lem321
TYPE B

Lexus Key and Remote Programming

Key Programming 1. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition. Do not turn.
2. Press and release the gas pedal 5 times.
3. Press and release the brake pedal 6 times.
4. Remove the key from the ignition.
5. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
6. Press and release the gas pedal one time.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your

key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.
NOTE: Look for your security light. This light will guide you during the programming procedure. The security light will go off at Step 1. It will remain off until Step 6. The security light will come on and start to blink after Step 6 until the key is programmed. If the security light comes on after Step 4 STOP the procedure and start over again.

If you perform this procedure too slowly your car will not go into programming mode. If you can not get your car to go into programming mode make sure you are using a master key and not a valet key.

If you have a master key then you will probably need to perform this procedure more quickly.
I got around to trying this and this worked. I was able to program the chip on the new master key using the valet key. So the line about using a master key and not a valet key is not correct.

So now I have a master key that works in the ignition and doors, starts the car and all three buttons on the remote work. It still does not work in the trunk, glove box, and trunk lever release. The sides of the key do have a raised edge unlike the valet key that has a flat edge.

At least I'm getting closer.

Thanks,
Dennis
Old 11-04-16, 04:43 AM
survyor2
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Can you hear the motor spinning when you click the transmitter? I know on the 2GS and other lexus/toyota models the door lock actuator motors burn out with time. I don't think it is a common issue on the SC, but it is worth looking into.
I won't describe it as a motor spinning but I do hear a click near the lock mechanism when I hit the transmitter.