SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

AC repairability

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-16, 08:30 PM
rgao007
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default AC repairability

Looking at a '98 SC400 on Craigslist for only $1000, but it has quite a few issues. The most major is that the AC doesn't work; is this an easy fix? I don't have any more details on why it isn't.
Old 09-03-16, 10:46 PM
oSUPRAo
Rookie

I'm not a mechanic but I would say it largely depends. If it blows but not cold I wouldn't be too worried. If the compressor is seized then i would assume a lot of money to fix unless you can do all the work yourself. If the AC in my SC went out I would just remove it. I live in Florida, and even here I don't run the A/C 90% of the time. Fifty pounds of weight reduction plus less parasitic loss. For a thousand bucks I would be amazed if it even moves and stops.
Old 09-03-16, 11:21 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I dont see the point in getting a car like this for 1000 if it needs a lot of work, its probably worth to just find something for 5k or more. you will pull your hair out if the interior is shot because its hard to find
Old 09-04-16, 12:08 AM
oSUPRAo
Rookie

Originally Posted by mikef
I dont see the point in getting a car like this for 1000 if it needs a lot of work, its probably worth to just find something for 5k or more. you will pull your hair out if the interior is shot because its hard to find
My thoughts exactly. Initially I was looking at beaters to mess with but then I realized that I don't want to put time and money into a POS. If budget is the reason why you're looking at cheap ones, that's understandable, but if you're willingly buying the cheapest one possible I would advise against that unless you're a mechanic. By the time you're done you'll save money by buying a nicer one from the get go.
Old 09-04-16, 07:11 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

these cars prices are all over the map, I've seen from free to 35k
Old 09-04-16, 10:46 AM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

I am glad there are people all over like on here who won't consider a $1,000 SC, means I can make some sweet deals. I have bought 3 of them around that same money (one was $600) and have 2 good cars and one that was drivable but I turned in to a parts donor car.

To answer the OP question, it depends on what is wrong that would determine the issue/cost but mostly these cars have the typical issues of any car a/c in the compressor is a weak link. If it has the original drier than there is the possibility after many years it could have turned loose all of it's desiccant and contaminated the system. If that is the case, the system would need to be flushed and easiest thing is replace the expansion valve and make sure the EPR valve is clear. If it hasn't turned loose, replace the drier, change the compressor if its bad, add some oil (PAG46), recharge with R134 (no matter what year do this, but in your case it's already set up for 134), and drive/enjoy.

If you do the work yourself, not that expensive. I am installing a brand new Denso compressor today and it was $240 on rockauto.com. Bearing locked up on the pulley on the old one and spun so bad on the compressor housing it couldn't be fixed. I was going to rob from the parts car, but sure it's worn out too so decided to do this job once.
Old 09-08-16, 12:46 AM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

What are the issues with this 1000$ puppy? gotta love that 1UZF-E motor