Performance & Maintenance Engine, forced induction, intakes, exhausts, torque converters, transmissions, etc.

Clunk in rear after hks coil over install

Old 08-25-16, 07:49 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Clunk in rear after hks coil over install

I installed my hks coil overs and immediately after I let her down off the lift and drove it I noticed it that was 3 months ago I've been trying to locate the noise since then to no avl I've even completely removed the sway bar and checked all bushings and arms with a big pry bar everything appears OK.
I have switched the coil overs from side to side as it's louder on the right but nothing there either
If you go over a speed bump it makes a clunk clunk as if something hits on the way up and the way down it almost sounds like a strut when they blow out or go bad and yes these are new coil overs so I'm running low on things to try here

Any ideas are appreciated
Attached Thumbnails Clunk in rear after hks coil over install-20160825_190531.jpg  
Old 08-26-16, 09:05 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

When you say the coilovers are new, do you mean they're new to you or you've just had them in storage for a long time? Those look like HKS hipermax II which are old now (I think they're currently on the 4th generation).

Was there any noise before you installed the suspension? Would it be possible for you to install a different suspension setup to see if the noise goes away?

The only things I can really think of are the shock mount bushings on the LCA or the UCA bushings being bad. Have you checked the condition of all the ball joints where they meet the knuckle?
Old 08-26-16, 10:16 AM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Sorry new as I had feal rebuild and re valve them they ride great and I've checked the bushings even pryed them with a prybar to make sure they are OK same with the ball joints it only started the moment I lowered the car so I'm guessing I upset the geometry some and something is worn out but I just can't seem to figure this one out sadly
Old 08-26-16, 10:34 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 225 Likes on 205 Posts

Didn't OldManTan deal with something like that? I think it turned out to be hub related?
Old 08-26-16, 11:14 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by xspsi6
Sorry new as I had feal rebuild and re valve them they ride great and I've checked the bushings even pryed them with a prybar to make sure they are OK same with the ball joints it only started the moment I lowered the car so I'm guessing I upset the geometry some and something is worn out but I just can't seem to figure this one out sadly
If the geometry was upset, then a good alignment should have reset everything.This car also has a lot of adjust-ability from the factory. My car is on air suspension, so the geometry gets thrown off all the time.

After you installed the coils and put the wheels on the ground did you go around to tighten up the center nut? I think on the hipermax II its a 19mm nut and a 9mm to hold the shaft.
Old 08-27-16, 12:22 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Check the top hat ball joint? I had some hks before and one of the top hat ball joint had slight play. Up and down movement.
Old 08-27-16, 07:59 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by k7q
Check the top hat ball joint? I had some hks before and one of the top hat ball joint had slight play. Up and down movement.
The pillow ball mount?
Old 08-28-16, 03:38 PM
k7q
Instructor

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Originally Posted by xspsi6
The pillow ball mount?
Ya. I Forgot the term.
Old 08-28-16, 05:38 PM
xspsi6
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by k7q
Ya. I Forgot the term.
Those were OK the noise is specific to the right rear I even swapped the coils to be sure.
Old 08-28-16, 05:58 PM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just throwing this out there since I had an issue like this before. It ended up being the dampening nut came loose..
Old 01-02-17, 07:00 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Did you ever figure out what the noise was? I'm chasing the same exact thing on my car right now. I have the same coilovers and noise in the same passenger rear corner.
Old 01-03-17, 10:57 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
Did you ever figure out what the noise was? I'm chasing the same exact thing on my car right now. I have the same coilovers and noise in the same passenger rear corner.

I actually had this exact problem on my coilovers after adjusting the spring load. It turned out to be the pillow ball nut.

I diagnosed this easily with some extra help. I had my friend open the door and stand inside and shift their weight up and down. I was able to hear the knocking which was coming from the trunk area. After opening the trunk I saw immediately that the pillow ball nut at the top of the coil over wasn't tightened. So what I did was use a jack and pump it under the LCA bushing so that the coilover had some compression and tightented the pillow ball nut by hand. Apperantly it wasn't threaded all the way down. After tightening it, the noise went away.

Hope this helps, but realistically, this problem could be a number of things, best to have some help diagnosing it like i mentioned and looking around.
Old 01-03-17, 11:13 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Deegee
I actually had this exact problem on my coilovers after adjusting the spring load. It turned out to be the pillow ball nut.

I diagnosed this easily with some extra help. I had my friend open the door and stand inside and shift their weight up and down. I was able to hear the knocking which was coming from the trunk area. After opening the trunk I saw immediately that the pillow ball nut at the top of the coil over wasn't tightened. So what I did was use a jack and pump it under the LCA bushing so that the coilover had some compression and tightented the pillow ball nut by hand. Apperantly it wasn't threaded all the way down. After tightening it, the noise went away.

Hope this helps, but realistically, this problem could be a number of things, best to have some help diagnosing it like i mentioned and looking around.
That's the most common reason for a clunking sound and it was the first thing I checked. I had all the coilovers rebuilt and the shafts replaced, but I still have the clunking sound. I double checked to make sure the coilover was assembled properly.

Something to note about the pillow ball mount being loose is that the sound is unique. It's caused by the threads grazing metal around it.

My car only makes noise under load and on uneven roads, so I can't replicate it when the car is on jack stands. The only thing I can think of now is to buy a bunch of go pros, install them under my car positioned at every ball joint, and drive the car.