SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

CAD File Sharing

Search this Thread

Old 02-15-17, 06:56 PM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh ****!!! Halon I owe ya a few beers!!!!
Old 02-15-17, 07:00 PM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Received 40 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by ems
Oh ****!!! Halon I owe ya a few beers!!!!
Im running low on coors light as a matter of fact!
Old 02-16-17, 08:24 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Halon
2JZGE (SC300) DISTRIBUTOR COVER

Next file I have is for a basic 2JZGE (SC300) Non-VVTI distributor cover. For anyone going COP but is retaining the stock cam/crank sensors, this is a great way to somewhat cleanly cover up the sensors/toothed wheel. Since the size of this is so small, it should be as simple as getting one 3D printed and your ready to rock. However you could also get one CNC'd out of aluminum or whatever. I made it as simple as possible without any real fancy design features or logos on the front, that way anyone can add their own if they want, but this at least gets you the base part.

File Naming:
SC3_DC_RevB:
This is the file for the 2JZGE (SC300) Distributor Cover.

As always, I've included both the Solidworks 3D model as well as a STEP 3D file that should work with any number of free viewers. Anyone with SW 2016 can open the 3D model and make any sort of edits they want (add a logo, etc). The STEP file is the file you should be able to give anyone with a 3D printer or CNC machine to just load onto their machine.

Take Note!!!: I have not actually 3D printed one of these yet. So use this file at your own risk. It should work, but if anyone actually gets one made, please post it up! If something doesn't fit right, we can edit it. I'll try and get one 3D printed in the next month or so, but until then fitment of this file hasn't been 100% verified, so I want to make sure that is clear and understood. I'm 99% sure this will fit, but please whomever uses it, please post up your real world results!

Photos:

Awesome contribution here Halon. I really like this thread and have a thing or two to share when I get the chance to fire up my modeling PC. Just a heads up to anyone that does try and print this. If using PLA material, it will soften real quick with under the hood temps and especially being right above the exhaust manifold. Make sure you use ABS!!
Old 02-16-17, 08:27 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I fully plan to have a prototype made out of ABS by the end of the month!
Old 02-18-17, 05:17 AM
MLeopard
Rookie

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I've added another configuration of the gauge panel that has the gauges angled towards the driver. SC_2guage_angle_panel. The files have been added to the Google Drive.
https://drive.google.com/open?id=0B1...UI4NVI3WXhEekk

The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (02-18-17)
Old 02-19-17, 12:50 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

That is sweet, some really good work going on in here
Old 02-20-17, 10:34 AM
LoveSCs
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

OK guys, just fired up my PC and grabbed my power steering reservoir bracket files to mount the reservoir to the tab on the shock tower like the supras. Mounts to the existing tab on the shock tower. Hose clamp required to fix the reservoir to the bracket.

Files attached to this message

Pics:

Bracket design:

Attached Files
File Type: zip
bracket design files.zip (104.1 KB, 37 views)
Old 02-20-17, 06:49 PM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

When printing out the single din gauge pod, were structural supports needed?
Old 02-21-17, 04:41 AM
MLeopard
Rookie

Originally Posted by 2JZ4lyfe
When printing out the single din gauge pod, were structural supports needed?
Support material was needed to print the gauge holes and the wings on the back since they angle up.
Old 03-27-17, 10:06 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

Local guy just got his prototype printed. Should hopefully know if it fits very soon!
Attached Thumbnails CAD File Sharing-dist-cap-1.jpg   CAD File Sharing-dist-cap-2.jpg  
Old 04-03-17, 09:14 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I'm clueless as to how difficult this might be but what is the most common way in which to 3D scan a vehicle part for further cleanup in a CAD program? Among other ideas thrown around I think one part that might be worth doing this for is the SC manual shifter bezel (sans leather boot) since it has just been discontinued.

Add to that, how is a smooth surface finish added to a 3D printed interior plastic part similar to the original?
Old 04-04-17, 05:16 AM
MLeopard
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
I'm clueless as to how difficult this might be but what is the most common way in which to 3D scan a vehicle part for further cleanup in a CAD program? Among other ideas thrown around I think one part that might be worth doing this for is the SC manual shifter bezel (sans leather boot) since it has just been discontinued.

Add to that, how is a smooth surface finish added to a 3D printed interior plastic part similar to the original?
I don't know any cost effective solutions to your first question. I've been trying to work on a foglight housing lately but the shape is complex.

How you achieve a smooth surface finish is affected by your material choice. Some, i.e. SLA, tend to print smooth to begin with. ABS and PLA from your typical 3D printer will have ridges. My guage holder was printed in PLA. PLA is fairly chemical resistant so I had to sand it smooth before painting. ABS dissolves with acetone. I have heard of people misting their part with acetone to achieve a smooth surface. I've never tried that.
The following users liked this post:
KahnBB6 (04-08-17)
Old 04-08-17, 04:57 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Thank you MLeopard! I was afraid you might say that the scanning and prepping of an existing part to reproduce or modify the design might actually be very, very involved. The info on surfaces and different printing types are very helpful. I'm going to run those by a friend very soon who has his own 3D printer.
Old 04-08-17, 07:01 AM
Halon
Lexus Test Driver

I finally got my pieces printed. So the distributor cover fit perfect with the exception of the outermost lip. The ID was 1mm too small so it didn't fit over the base. I saw sanded it down and then it fit perfectly. So I will update the drawing next week and then anyone should be good to go to print their own.

Also got the DIN mount printed. Still installing it but so far so good!
Attached Thumbnails CAD File Sharing-20170407_170348.jpg   CAD File Sharing-20170407_170414.jpg   CAD File Sharing-20170407_170550.jpg   CAD File Sharing-20170407_133235.jpg   CAD File Sharing-20170407_135140.jpg  

Old 04-10-17, 01:16 AM
zazzn
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
OK guys, just fired up my PC and grabbed my power steering reservoir bracket files to mount the reservoir to the tab on the shock tower like the supras. Mounts to the existing tab on the shock tower. Hose clamp required to fix the reservoir to the bracket.

Files attached to this message

Pics:

Bracket design:

How about a bracket that sits completely under the PS res and the hoses that come out keep it in place so you don't need that sort of clamp.

Also Is it strong enough to hold one thing about 3d printed stuff always seemed weak when i used it.

Quick Reply: CAD File Sharing