SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Can anyone explain why my SC400 drove itself into another car?

Search this Thread

Old 08-16-16, 05:08 AM
jamesdem11
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Can anyone explain why my SC400 drove itself into another car?

So driving down the road, cautiously. I stop, and the car powers itself into the back of a truck? WTF?! Skip to about a minute in the video, my singing is terrible.
Old 08-16-16, 05:56 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

lol, your SC didn't drive itself into another car ... you did. You were not paying attention ...

kidding aside , looks like it was raining and was slippery . Either you didn't press the brakes at the right moment to consider your distance from the SUV in front of you or your brakes failed on you or your tires didn't have enough thread to grip into the pavement to get it to stop.
Old 08-16-16, 06:19 AM
scsexy
Advanced

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
lol, your SC didn't drive itself into another car ... you did. You were not paying attention ...

kidding aside , looks like it was raining and was slippery . Either you didn't press the brakes at the right moment to consider your distance from the SUV in front of you or your brakes failed on you or your tires didn't have enough thread to grip into the pavement to get it to stop.

Na dude, he stopped and then accelerated almost like he let off the brake for a second and pressed the gas pedal by accident.. I've done it before.. never into a car but accidentally hit the gas a bit going for the brakes.. or your foot slips off the brake momentary. very plausible with wet shoes
Old 08-16-16, 06:27 AM
MtxSho
6th Gear

That is odd. Slipping foot sounds plausible. Watching the vid makes me glad to have a manual. Hows the damage?
Old 08-16-16, 06:40 AM
jamesdem11
Driver School Candidate

It was not me "not paying attention". It did something like this earlier in the drive and so I was cautious. You can clearly see the vehicle com to a stop and then lift the front end in accelleration. And my foot did not slide off the fat, wide pedal, and go further back to hit the skinny pedal.
Old 08-16-16, 06:49 AM
MtxSho
6th Gear

Idle air control valve getting stuck? Had a friend who used to have to shift into neutral at stop lights just in case. We cleaned it with some maf cleaner and it would work for a day or so then right back to the high idle. And by high idle I'm talking 4500-5000 rpms.
Old 08-16-16, 07:17 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would put my money on a sticky accelerator if your foot didn't slide onto the gas pedal. An idle valve wouldn't let that much air by to power into the truck like that. Gotta not skip leg day and press those brakes harder next time something like this happens! Either way, you are at fault here buddy, sorry.
Old 08-16-16, 07:45 AM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Cause could be pushing both gas and brakes at the same time, or your floor mat was not anchored and somehow got bound up and interfered.

There are no reported 'unintended acceleration' on these models I've ever read about... unfortunately I expect you've got either driver error or some sort of pedal interference. Could even be new shoes, I had a problem on my wife's old Porsche like that where I pushed both gas and brake at the same time - ended up having to drive it barefooted to keep from rear ending (luckily was a stick with a clutch and popped it in when the issue happened).

Have you had other problems or worked on the car recently?
Old 08-16-16, 08:38 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

http://www-odi.nhtsa.dot.gov/owners/....prod_ids=9489
Old 08-16-16, 08:44 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by DaveGS4
Cause could be pushing both gas and brakes at the same time, or your floor mat was not anchored and somehow got bound up and interfered.
I was thinking the same with the floor mat issue. As reported several years ago on other Lexus models. Or he had a slick/wet shoe sole that slipped onto the gas?
http://www.lexus.com/recall/pdf/Lexu...nt_2-24-11.pdf

Last edited by Teal Sc400; 08-16-16 at 08:47 AM.
Old 08-16-16, 10:26 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

I was playing when I said "you were not paying attention " that is why I followed it with "kidding aside" on the next line then explained what where the possible reasons. My apologies if I offended anyone.

In my opinion, if your brake system where good and you firmly pressed the pedal , regardless if the accelerator is pressed up to 8000rpm or more , that car ain't going anywhere unless the tires didn't have a firm grip on the pavement because it was slippery or the tires didn't have enough thread .
Old 08-16-16, 11:17 AM
jamesdem11
Driver School Candidate

Solved, it was the floormat. I cleaned them at dawn last night and didn't notice it was slightly covering the pedal.

Facepalm.

Toyota did have a recall on some vehicles for this issue though.

I know, I know, my bad. His bumper was already rekt and mine needed painting anyway
Old 08-16-16, 11:30 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Well u found the culprit, unfortunately not before the minor accident.
Old 08-16-16, 11:49 AM
YotaSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've had a close call one time in my sc400, was in a parking lot at a car meet creeping through to find a parking space. I stopped to let someone out of there parking stall, had my foot pressed lightly on the brake pedal "stopped" talking to my passenger, then my A/C clutch kicked in causing the motor to rev slightly, enough to overcome my light brake pressure and almost hit the other car. Definitely scary moment as it was a nice show quality car that I almost hit.
Old 08-16-16, 02:10 PM
Sylexus
Driver

Glad you're okay. I've had the floor mat issue in my last car lol. Looks like they changed the PT uniform since I got out in 2013. Neat. Is the multi-cam standard issue wear now?

Quick Reply: Can anyone explain why my SC400 drove itself into another car?