SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

LED bulbs for our cars

Old 08-09-16, 08:14 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts
Default LED bulbs for our cars

Been searching through the forums and most of the threads on this topic seem a bit old. LED technology has gone really far and the costs have dropped dramatically as well. Been going through eBay and other websites that claim their LEDs are made for SCs & GSs, however I wanted to know if anyone has tried it before. I'm still running on my halogen bulbs on my headlights and don't want to upgrade to HIDs, just straight up LEDs from now on, so are there are high lumen LEDs that y'all have tried for the SC that doesn't only look good but is also functional?
The following users liked this post:
enthony (07-10-22)
Old 08-09-16, 08:53 AM
YotaSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've tried LED and HID headlights, I'm never happy with the light from the LEDs, and I hate the slow start up of HIDs especially as high beams but in the end I just prefer the distance from the HiDs. If they can get the LEDs a little better than the currently available ones I might try them again. I still use LED fog lights though
Old 08-09-16, 09:11 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Originally Posted by YotaSC400
I've tried LED and HID headlights, I'm never happy with the light from the LEDs, and I hate the slow start up of HIDs especially as high beams but in the end I just prefer the distance from the HiDs. If they can get the LEDs a little better than the currently available ones I might try them again. I still use LED fog lights though

Is the distance in LEDs better than the Halogen ones?
Old 08-09-16, 09:49 AM
YotaSC400
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Possibly a little better but not a noticeable distance, however the LEDs have a better spectrum of light for me. That dull yellowish look of halogen bulbs makes me tired when driving at night. But I also run 8000k lows 6000k highs and 5000k led equivalent for fogs, I get told my low beams look blue but they light the road and surroundings up "bright white".
Old 08-09-16, 10:18 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 408 Likes on 336 Posts

I had LED headlights before on my SC300 and they weren't much better than halogens. HID's are the way to go.

I ended up using my LED's as fog lights for LS430. They work alright as fogs but they're dimmer than my halogens.
Old 08-09-16, 11:39 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

I don't have any experience with LED bulbs in my SC, but I bought them for my odyssey. I have Akoli bulbs I bought on amazon. They're 6,000 kelvin bulbs and rated for 8,000 lumens combined. In the canyons the lights work great and light up the entire road. In the city, the lights project really far (i'm judging based on the road signs reflecting back), but the usable light in front of me gets washed out by the city lights. I'm assuming this is due to the 6,000 kelvin color rating. My next set of LED bulbs will be closer to 4,300 kelvin if I can find a set.

Another LED bulb I originally considered buying was the OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam. They're also 6,000 kelvin bulbs rated for 7,000 lumens combined. There is a member on here that has them on his SC, and he seems to really like them.
Old 08-09-16, 01:25 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
I don't have any experience with LED bulbs in my SC, but I bought them for my odyssey. I have Akoli bulbs I bought on amazon. They're 6,000 kelvin bulbs and rated for 8,000 lumens combined. In the canyons the lights work great and light up the entire road. In the city, the lights project really far (i'm judging based on the road signs reflecting back), but the usable light in front of me gets washed out by the city lights. I'm assuming this is due to the 6,000 kelvin color rating. My next set of LED bulbs will be closer to 4,300 kelvin if I can find a set.

Another LED bulb I originally considered buying was the OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam. They're also 6,000 kelvin bulbs rated for 7,000 lumens combined. There is a member on here that has them on his SC, and he seems to really like them.
I was looking at the OPT7 LED Headlight Bulbs w/ Clear Arc-Beam , they are for $100. I'm probably going to go for those, they seem the best choice for now. I want bright LEDs and 6k seems like a good color, don't really enjoy blue lights so don't want to go a higher temperature.
Old 08-09-16, 04:33 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

As nice as the LED's are nowadays, HID is still king of lighting. And though they plug-n-play to all cars specific sizing, the reflectors in the headlights are still not designed for the light beam LED bulbs have. If you notice, LED headlight bulbs only have a bulb pointing towards north and south, and LED bulbs are directional, meaning the light doesn't spread everywhere, wherein the reflector bowls for the projectors require light 360 degrees. There's really no pros to doing LED's too since our vehicle's electrical system is still analog, it will still draw as much power as the halogen bulbs, unlike HID which only require 35watts (which is also why doing 55watt ballasts is counter productive). HID bulbs don't give out heat too, unlike halogen and LED bulbs. To get the best performance out of any light bulb, you have to stick to 4300-5000kelvin, like every OEM HID kits. Any higher will have a blue hue which is also counter productive and very eye straining.
Old 08-10-16, 11:42 AM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Is there any out there care to show us some screenshots with a LED installation on their headlights?
Old 08-11-16, 11:04 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Here is what we were talking about being the LED bulbs only mounted facing the north and south of the entire bulb's assembly. Notice how it lacks width compared to an HID output. The newer cars with LED bulbs are designed in a way to redirect the light to spread, while older cars with either halogen or HID based designs intend a light source from all directions. Left is HID, Right is LED.

Note: The spread of the width doesn't look as bad in the photos since it's pointed to a wall and up close, in real world situations it would make a night and day difference especially when turning to corners.
Attached Thumbnails LED bulbs for our cars-27295904973_950303c2b8_b.jpg   LED bulbs for our cars-27295987373_c87360af1e_b.jpg   LED bulbs for our cars-morimoto_2stroke_9006_led_headlight_bulbs_4.jpg  
Ezroni (12-12-16)
Old 08-11-16, 04:40 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Just ordered a 35w HID kit at 4500k. Many thanks to Organized Garage Status for helping me out, will post the results when I get them installed.

Last edited by DrAtomica; 08-11-16 at 04:59 PM.
Old 08-12-16, 11:00 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

I would also suggest running an HID Kit over LED.

Take a look at these pictures comparing Stock, 4300k HID, 5000K HID, and 6000k LED in a 2015 Highlander:

Link to full review:

https://www.xenondepot.com/highlande...eview-s/52.htm

Steve

Ezroni (12-12-16)
Old 08-12-16, 03:08 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Some great info in this thread. I recently put a set of 6k LED bulbs in my NC miata, and they suck. They are rated at 3000 lumens per bulb and although they look really nice when looking a the car, they just aren't up for the task of illuminating the road very well. I thought maybe I bought too weak of a lumen rated bulb, but idk if thats the case.

Is it because LED's shouldnt be put into a projector-type housing like in our SC's? Just like OGS said, the sides are just not illuminated well, and there is not too much light distance output.

I have DDM tuning 35W 4300 HID hit in both my SC's and the light output is wayyyy better.
Old 08-12-16, 07:50 PM
nnnickkk
Lexus Test Driver

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

@xenondepot what do HID 4300k kits run?
Old 08-15-16, 05:25 AM
XenonDepot
Former Sponsor

Received 39 Likes on 33 Posts

@nnnickkk:

Check out our HID kit for more info.. We do have a promo going on right now.

Steve

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: LED bulbs for our cars