SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

New to the forums, help!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-16, 02:07 AM
jacobely94
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to the forums, help!

Hey guys, my name is Jake and i'm new to the forums and new to lexus. I am wanting to get into a sc300 but I'm wanting to do some research first. I'm relatively new to cars (only been in the game around a year now) so i don't know a lot. I'm wondering what things I should look for in a car to decide if it is worth being purchased. Any main problems that I should stay away from? Also, as you guys know most sc's are stock automatic. How hard and expensive is it to do a tranny swap? Are parts easy to find and are they expensive compared to other cars? I was debating between this car and a 240 but 240's are so popular that I want something a little different. Any info will help and if you guys could try to explain it to someone who doesn't know all of the car jargon yet, that would be great. Thank you!

Also what year do you guys think is best?
Old 07-30-16, 07:50 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

"I am wanting to get into a sc300 but I'm wanting to do some research first."

No offense, but those are easily researched questions. What you want is someone to hand you the answers.
Old 07-31-16, 05:41 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey Jake, welcome from a newbie. I'm fairly new to the car community and definitely to Lexus as well, but t2d2 is right, everything you want to know and more can be found in these forums. The people in it are amazingly talented and passionate, and extremely knowledgeable and willing to share that knowledge! As far as forums that I've seen, I'm convinced this early model SC forum is one of the best. Do your own research until you can't find answers, but here are some personal thoughts from a not too experienced SC owner:

I purchased a '92 MT hardtop SC300 in May and I've really grown to love it. It's very smooth, really spacious, it's... not too fast. Quick, maybe, and always has the power you need and usually some more. A little heavy but handles fairly well stock. The rights mods will really wake these up in terms of performance and handling, though.

These cars are super tough, but they are old, and you will have to put time and money into it. Patience won't hurt either. Comparatively, parts can be a bit pricey. You'll have to look pretty hard to source quality parts with decent prices, but it's not too bad. Labor costs tend to be quite expensive. Unless you've got lots of cash to spare, these will turn into money pits if you don't do the work yourself or get an amazing deal on labor. However, working on them is fairly straight forward and everything you need to know is here, or can be asked about if you can't find it. If you're a pretty OCD person like myself, you may want to hold off. It will stress you out. Fortunately, I've started to learn that that's just the nature of owning old cars, but I still have my moments. But I love the car enough to deal with it.

One more thing... there's two threads in particular that I created that might help because of the posts other users made, my first thread asking about a specific SC, as well as "I think I post too many threads". Check out O.L.T.'s post in that one especially, and the linked thread in his post. I think I can relate to what you're asking, so I feel like those may be useful. Certainly were for me. Good luck!

Last edited by Chattanoah; 07-31-16 at 05:45 PM.
Old 07-31-16, 05:56 PM
DaveGS4
Forum Administrator

Received 2,128 Likes on 1,298 Posts

Welcome Jake,

Start off with the FAQ sticky at the very top of this forum

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tart-here.html
Old 08-03-16, 04:58 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Welcome to CL Jake. If your new to cars it might be helpful to take some courses on auto repair. The SC is a durable beast but you best need to know.how to work on them. Labor can be.expensive and parts can be ridiculous in price for them. You'll have to shop hard for the deals. Read everything you can on this forum as there is a lot of helpful info and smart feller's here. Enjoy!