Towing the SC

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-16, 11:29 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts
Default Towing the SC

Good day guys!

We're moving. Didn't want to drive the SC on the freeway for 3 hours, so we decided we'd just rent a flatbed and tow it behind the GX. Would really make some great photos too. LOL

Anyways, I have never towed anything before, and really have no idea what to expect or even how to secure the SC on the trailer. Been doing a lot of reading where to strap it, but people choose different ways, which leads me to my question, what's the best way to secure it? Please take in consideration that my SC is pretty low, with the bodykit lip in front. Photos would be greatly appreciated as well as I'm a visual person. Thanks in advance fellas!
Old 07-05-16, 05:30 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Flatbed with 2x4s to get it up onto (and off). But hey, you have a poly front so why worry? LOL
Old 07-05-16, 06:43 PM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

1 strap on each wheel....to corners of trailer....should be enough to keep it secure....

Dont tighten it down to tight as you dont want to compress the suspension that much....
Old 07-05-16, 06:58 PM
2JZ4lyfe
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Use the front and rear tow hooks?

Thats what I use when I strap the car down on the dyno. You might have troubles strapping the front tow hooks if your sc is low, so you might have to remove your front bumper.
Old 07-06-16, 09:20 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

As it turns out, the U-Haul trailer actually have wheel straps built into it. Very convenient. I just hope with the SC raised up into the trailer it would be easier to reach underneath it to get the straps into place. LOL

My SC can still get up into speed bumps without hitting the front lip, but the undercarriage still scrapes. I wonder if that would be a problem with the angle of the ramps.

Old 07-06-16, 10:28 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

If you have AAA premier or have a family member that has it, then I would just have AAA tow the car to your new place.

U haul trailers are horrible for lowered cars. The part in the middle that prevents the wheels from falling off is really high, so on a slammed car it'll scrape the frame rails/under body bracing. If you must use a u haul trailer, then park it at the end of your driveway (pictured below), so you can drive the car straight on. Adding really long wood ramps will help too.

I believe the steel/metal colored trailers (in the video you posted) are a little friendlier for lowered cars, but they require a stronger vehicle to tow because of the additional weight.
Old 07-08-16, 09:52 AM
Rezist09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Sc300 is a really heavy car.
Old 08-10-16, 09:01 PM
dicer
Lead Lap

Received 97 Likes on 89 Posts

Wheel straps are the best way to tie ANY car to a trailer. If it is tied anyother way then the hooks or what ever will cut into the material do to the movement, and yeah even if it is tied down real tight there is still movement. Always use tire straps. Its okay for the suspension to move its what is does normally.
Old 08-11-16, 11:27 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Guys, it was successful! We were able to use the wheel straps built in the trailer too. Took a while to load it though, until we decided to close the street off so we can load it through the driveway so it would be almost level to the trailer.

IMG_6445 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6446 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6453 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6458 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6460 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr

IMG_6464 by Organized Garage Status, on Flickr
Old 08-11-16, 05:41 PM
lilSCsteve

Received 10 Likes on 8 Posts

Nice Lexus convoy, some clean rides man!

steve
Old 08-12-16, 06:20 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン
Forum Moderator

Received 440 Likes on 363 Posts

Those pics look amazing.
Old 08-12-16, 10:51 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Glad to know the uhaul trailers work for SC....

I have been wanted to use one to tow my SC to the track using the Tacoma. Since I dont have a spot to store a trailer at my house.

Old 08-13-16, 09:06 AM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Thank you for the kind words guys! They're all high mileage vehicles now that the GX hit the 100k mark a couple days ago. And not one of them have given us a single problem. The only thing we've spent on the 3 since ownership was tuneup, and radiator on the GX(we broke it one time we brought it off-roading).
Old 08-13-16, 02:02 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 304 Likes on 209 Posts

How did the GX tow? I have a Supra and SC and would use it to tow both. My wife's Armada is getting up there in miles and I am looking at a GX460 to replace it.

Steve K.
Old 08-13-16, 11:04 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

It was actually the first time I have towed anything. The GX towed it like it was nothing. Almost couldn't tell that I was towing something. It was really harder to get the SC on the trailer more than anything else really. Haha Can't speak for the GX460 though. The reason we picked up a 470 in the first place was back when I was researching on it, I read that the lower displacement and 6 gear box made it significantly less powerful and slower response compared to the 470. The 460 also had a much tighter 3rd row seat considering its already tight in the 470, and it downshifts very hard from the 6th gear. Wasn't too fond of it loosing the over fenders as well. Kinda like that extra protection, I've already rubbed against a lot of stuff that would've probably left a dent on metal. Haha

Quick Reply: Towing the SC