SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

1991 Toyota Soarer Limited V8 - Radio & Alarm System

Search this Thread

Old 06-30-16, 11:07 AM
flexnix
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 1991 Toyota Soarer Limited V8 - Radio & Alarm System

Hey guys. I was wondering if the top of the line SC's came with the same touch screens as the Soarer Limited did. I'd like to go with an aftermarket radio, and it seems I'll be stuck with pulling out the stock cassette radio (single din). The touch screen also has the radio frequencies (AM/FM), but I guess you'd have to ignore those and just use it to adjust the A/C only.

Also, is the wiring schematic similar to the SC's? I'd like to get installed a good quality alarm and not sure if I need any special harnesses, etc to make things easier to install.

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-30-16, 02:29 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,250 Likes on 870 Posts

You are referring to the Electro-Multi-Vision center entertainment and control unit. This was only available as an option on some trim levels of the Toyota Soarer version of our SC's. We never got anything remotely like that setup in the USA.

I know it is not simple to wire in and I cannot recall anyone who has tried it. Since 1991 Soarers are now legal to import we will gradually begin seeing some cars with this system in the USA. Many Soarers didn't come with it. Possible? It's probably possible but it would not going be easy.

I've thought about sourcing just the little 1/2 DIN (not 1-DIN) cassette section but as you noticed the CRT touchscreen is what displays what station or input selection you are on. It's probably possible to create a custom display unit with a lot of electronics work but I turned off from this idea myself.

The closest you are going to get to a modern and easier to implement version of this setup is a used Popformance LXCC controller and your choice of a 2-DIN aftermarket touchscreen head unit from Pioneer, Kenwood, Alpine, etc.
Old 06-30-16, 05:56 PM
flexnix
Driver School Candidate

I wonder if bypassing the on-screen radio would work. Just route all wiring to a headunit and replace the cassette. Sure it'll show the radio on the screen as well, but you'd just have to ignore it. And use the controls below. If not I'm stuck to using one of these bluetooth tapes, Lol!

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/ion-audi...&skuId=5838295
Old 06-30-16, 05:57 PM
flexnix
Driver School Candidate

Ha. I just noticed the cassette portion is part of the screen. Well that sucks. Maybe just installing a headunit in the glovebox in a nice custom box.

Old 07-05-16, 07:12 PM
flexnix
Driver School Candidate

Just wondering if anyone else has a 1991 Soarer V8 Limited with this same setup. Tried to sign up to Soarer World, but they won't accept my registration. Been waiting for days!
Old 07-06-16, 12:01 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Maybe install the climate control unit from an SC and put in an aftermarket double din touch screen to your liking. I don't know how different the wiring(and possibly servos) would be for the regular climate control unit in other cars, but I'd imagine that would be the easiest way to modernize the stereo with bluetooth, ipod, aux in, etc.

You might also be able to keep the whole screen system and hardwire in an auxuliary input. There are a couple of different ways to do this with the stock headunit found in other SC's if you search for it.
Old 07-08-16, 10:52 AM
Rezist09
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Custom made looks amazing
Old 07-25-16, 06:56 AM
Michael3UZ
Rookie

The factory EMV is an excellent feature, definitely not something you want to remove. It has many features, Audio control, A/ Control, diagnostics, Reversing Camera, Calendar, Trip Computer, fuel consumption graphs, service schedules, and although not functional - GPS, telephone (some models) and TV.

It's part of the cars character and quality. They do have issues being 20+ years old, but I can fix them, I've done dozens, backlight issues, touch problems, you name it.

I've even been successful in restoring the performance of the 7 speaker sound system, over the years the depth and clarity can fade for various reasons but some resto work on the various units can bring them back to life. The quality is just exceptional, it's a shame things aren't made the same.

The following users liked this post:
Mariaskl64 (02-23-24)