SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

rethinking the dash vents

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-16, 03:16 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
Default rethinking the dash vents

Every time I sneeze, it seems like some other little piece breaks off the dash vents. Enough is enough! I've been toying with this idea for awhile now and finally picked up some materials to try it out. Vent-less vents!

The ultimate goal is to build something like this:

In the meantime, I picked up a $10 roll of charcoal black screen door aluminum mesh, which is easily molded by hand and reasonably durable. I probably used less than 10 cents worth of it. I was going to cut an opening for the glove box release button and try bending the edges cleanly back out of the way, but in doing a test fit realized the mesh is plenty flexible to press the button as is.

The main drawback (I haven't road tested it yet) is lack of directional control and ability to close the vents. I never close vents (that's what the blower level is for!) anyway, so that's a non-issue for me. We'll see if the directional thing is a problem. The air doesn't really have anywhere to go but out through the mesh, so it should still fill the cabin pretty much the same. It's actually a much less obstructed path now without the bulky vent assembly.

I had planned to use the little top/bottom set screws to pull the mesh in tighter, but those screws are a smaller size than anything at the hardware store for matching up to a nut. 6-32 is just about perfect but is slightly bigger diameter than the holes in the wood/aluminum, and I didn't really want to open those up in case ever going back to the stock vents. I thought about snap retainer rings on the stock set screws, but those can be pretty tough to get off without damaging surrounding stuff, i.e., the wood. So, I left it as pictured and it seems okay.

The center "vent" looks a bit better than the passenger side which makes some of the dash foam and wiring harness visible.
Attached Thumbnails rethinking the dash vents-p1020417-ventless-dash-wood.jpg   rethinking the dash vents-p1020418-ventless-dash-wood.jpg   rethinking the dash vents-p1020424-ventless-dash-wood.jpg  
Old 06-27-16, 03:20 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Replacing the vents with mesh shaves 15 oz. I removed another 1 oz for an even 1.0 lbs by taking out the glove box lock cylinder. Apparently, I never had the right lock for my key... I didn't realize it until recently when swapping dashes and getting confused which lock was which while switching the different release latch brackets.
Old 06-27-16, 06:08 PM
salimshah

Received 996 Likes on 900 Posts

t2d2:

Do you have filter in the cabin? Dont do it without the filter as the mesh will start getting clogged from day 1 without the internal filter.

Salim
Old 06-27-16, 06:24 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by salimshah
Do you have filter in the cabin? Dont do it without the filter as the mesh will start getting clogged from day 1 without the internal filter.
I've never bothered adding the cabin filter, but I also never notice anything blowing out the vents and the filter slot is as clean as anything on the car. I'm on the side of the fence that Lexus left it off of USDM cars for a reason, i.e., they knew it isn't important. The mystery is why they added it to other markets.
Old 06-28-16, 03:07 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Your mod to the vents is definitely a change to the look of the dash. Good to see an adventurous member showing the way.

I have a '92 SC300 and saw some threads about installing cabin filters in the slot but have not gotten the urge to do that. It appeared you have to modify/fit a filter since there was not an OEM version to leverage and the access is a hassle (so it looked).
Old 06-28-16, 03:34 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Duck05
Your mod to the vents is definitely a change to the look of the dash. Good to see an adventurous member showing the way.
Thanks. They performed admirably on a bit of a road test today. From the driver's seat, it's even less noticeable than in the photos because the angle of view makes the mesh look darker.

I wandered the junkyard while brainstorming this, looking for donor vents that might work from other cars. My best idea was the Miata eyeball vents, which are pretty much indestructible, but their outer diameter is exactly the same as our wood trim, leaving very little to work with. Two or three eyeball vents would fit the space of our center vent, retaining much airflow while adding aim-ability.

I have a '92 SC300 and saw some threads about installing cabin filters in the slot but have not gotten the urge to do that. It appeared you have to modify/fit a filter since there was not an OEM version to leverage and the access is a hassle (so it looked).
I've removed the bottom cover and it doesn't look to be a difficult thing to get to or add. I think it's just a small tab or something that needs to be cut off the filters to allow them to slide in.
Old 06-29-16, 02:05 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Man you're always coming up with new ideas, looks cool, I wish I had a second SC I could try stuff on.
Old 06-29-16, 04:01 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Biddles
Man you're always coming up with new ideas, looks cool, I wish I had a second SC I could try stuff on.
I only have one SC on try stuff on that. To be fair, though, I do have a second car to bounce between if experiments go south.
Old 06-30-16, 04:09 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I heard back from a friend who does some woodworking (furniture, cabinets) on the side and he said the form creation in the "molded mesh" video is pretty advanced stuff, and beyond his means. Bummer. I guess it's a good thing that the screen door mesh turned out better than anticipated!

BTW, if you have even the slightest passing interest in woodworking, I highly recommend that video or any others in the series. That's one of the best presenters I've seen.
Old 06-30-16, 10:45 PM
SCbyDRD
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Genius!!! We've been wanting to redo them in brushed aluminum, but never thought outside of the vent box, so to speak... Might steal this idea, lol. 👍🏿

-K
Old 06-30-16, 11:19 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SCbyDRD
Genius!!! We've been wanting to redo them in brushed aluminum, but never thought outside of the vent box, so to speak... Might steal this idea, lol.
Steal away! And if you dream up any improvements, come back and share.
Old 09-29-16, 11:11 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

3 month status report: The screens are still clean as can be and the overall mesh is holding up just fine. Directional airflow has been a non-issue in hot, warm, and cool weather.
Old 09-30-16, 10:33 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
I've never bothered adding the cabin filter, but I also never notice anything blowing out the vents and the filter slot is as clean as anything on the car. I'm on the side of the fence that Lexus left it off of USDM cars for a reason, i.e., they knew it isn't important. The mystery is why they added it to other markets.
Ironic post statement considering u started this thread, with "Everytime I sneeze". A filter will help/prevent outside allergies/pollen entering a vehicle from u sneezing

The reasoning behind the filter was for the market, with a high pollution count. Where were Sc manufactured.. Japan.
Old 09-30-16, 10:46 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
Ironic post statement considering u started this thread, with "Everytime I sneeze".
Only ironic if you take the statement literally.

A filter will help/prevent outside allergies/pollen entering a vehicle from u sneezing

The reasoning behind the filter was for the market, with a high pollution count. Where were Sc manufactured.. Japan.
A standard filter would help with pollen-type allergens, but I doubt it would do much for pollution. It's an interesting theory, but I imagine it falls flat when looking at all the other non-US markets.
Old 10-04-16, 08:43 PM
Cleanshots
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

problem is black mesh is pretty much see through and looks like gentlemans sausage... im looking into retrofitting a vent from another car.. or remaking the peices. we'll see what i get to with my busy schedule

Quick Reply: rethinking the dash vents