aftermarket steering wheel hub

Search this Thread

Old 06-19-16, 08:38 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
Default aftermarket steering wheel hub

Crazy idea of the day...

I've been trying out a few different steering wheels and would like to put in one of my Momo wheels, but mounting options are very limited. The Momo hub part # is 7728, but it doesn't work with the clock spring, meaning no horn or cruise control. There are ~10 year old posts referring to SP Engineering in CA having options, but their website doesn't indicate they work with the Supra/SC platform anymore. Some stuff like [Works Bell 535S and 535, or HKB BOSS #OT-135 / KIT-135, pops up from time to time, but not much current can be found on it.

That got me to thinking, we've already got a light weight aluminum hub that accommodates the clock spring and has the CC stalk mount: our stock steering wheels! It just so happens, I've got one with bad leather that volunteered itself to go under the knife.

Stock SC 4-spoke wheel.

Angled view of the CC stalk mount (the 3 small bolts and cutout).

The challenge is how to mate an aftermarket hub, with the usual 6-bolt mounting ring, to that background spider without weakening it. You would want to cut the spline portion off the back of the hub. It would have to be perfectly centered and oriented vertically. That's about as far as I've gotten.
Old 06-20-16, 07:12 AM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

RHDJapan sells the Boss HKB hub OT-135. I am currently using it. It retains cruise control as well as the horn(as long as your aftermarket wheel has a horn button to connect the wire to)

My SC is a 1997
Old 06-20-16, 08:21 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Thanks. I did find the Works Bell 535S / 535 on RHDJapan, but I think I may have missed the OT-135 there. I see it now, at any rate, and they actually have two versions under that part number:

http://www.rhdjapan.com/boss-kit-hub...ed-toyota.html
http://www.rhdjapan.com/boss-kit-hub...-z30-x100.html

The second one says it's for CC, but it's not clear how or what. Looking at the second picture of the back side of the hub, it almost looks like the CC stalk could be mounted to it and stuck through a side cutout.

Weird that they're the same price and same part number but different pictures. Maybe the pictures are wrong on the second one? Looks like they convert to $50 USD, but I'm not sure about shipping. That's at least comparable to the Momo hub. I'm pretty luke warm on the CC buttons on the hub like that, though. I suppose you don't use them all that often, but given the lack of the full set of controls and being awkward to see/operate, I'd almost rather mount the stalk on the dash somewhere.

I saw this DIY version of the same button idea:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...se-how-to.html
Old 06-21-16, 07:55 PM
Shayy
Intermediate

Received 132 Likes on 47 Posts

http://www.rhdjapan.com/boss-kit-hub...ed-toyota.html

This is the one I have. That little cutout at the bottom is actually there to house the resistor I believe. The resistor going to the airbag. As far as the cruise control buttons being hard to reach, I actually prefer the buttons on this aftermarket hub. They aren't thet highest quality buttons in the world but they do the job amazingly. That's just my opinion. If you have any more questions about this hub specifically I can chime in with some first hand experience. A guy up in Canada with a Soarer was the one who recommended me to buy this hub.
Old 06-21-16, 10:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Shayy
I believe that's the same one FSUsucks had. I figured that one had to be correct...the second listing must be a mistake.

That little cutout at the bottom is actually there to house the resistor I believe. The resistor going to the airbag.
The part that protrudes out? I was curious what that's for. So, the airbag connector plugs into it? Seems unnecessary and excessive, but I suppose if you don't have the right resistor on hand to defeat it yourself... Hint: It's like a buck for 100 of them.

As far as the cruise control buttons being hard to reach, I actually prefer the buttons on this aftermarket hub. They aren't thet highest quality buttons in the world but they do the job amazingly.
I was thinking it sacrifices functionality, but looking at it again, I guess it does have the same three controls, just not fully labeled? SET = Set/Coast, Main = on/off, ACC = Resume/ACC. The up/down for Accelerate/Coast is so much more intuitive than left to right ordering, like getting in a car with forward/back window controls and trying to figure out which way is up or down. It would be a bit tacky, but it wouldn't be the end of the world to add the extra label below each button.

Who knows, maybe I'll order one and see what I think... I should probably try out the MOMO wheel in the car first and make sure the 350mm diameter isn't so small as to make the gauges hard to see, though.