SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Is it really that hard not to hit my parked car???

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-16, 07:44 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Originally Posted by jimbosr1
they must of received a important text while they were leaving,or just had there head up there ***.
happened to me too a couple of times during my 40+ years of driving;i havent hit anyone yet,but if i do.....
I think its the latter... I feel your pain, I have never hit anyone like that before but these things seem to happen to me. I had a camry that the front end was smashed by a truck reversing, but the lady was nice enough to leave me a note that time (she was also on camera though).

Originally Posted by Tabaka
Every car enthusiasts nightmare...unless you dislike your vehicle. Some days I wish someone would just plow into my SC while it's parked so I can send this car back to the dark lords ashes of hell.

And with that, time for wide body or full paint job?
Haha, you have been through a lot with the SC Tabaka, to be honest my car needed a paint job anyways so now I just need some body work in addition to that. I am thinking I will wait until I can get the poly AC like kit that just came out and get everything done at once but itll be at least a few months before that can happen.

Originally Posted by eight
wtf...heads will roll.
you find em, ill slay em.

damn fools, they should know whatever car they are driving is NOTHING to the SC.
/endbiasedanger
Its disappointing but I am going to get a report and hopefully If I can find the car I can get some money from them or at least their insurance info. My neighbor is a car guy and he noticed the type and color of the car that was parked next to me that night and it matches the paint left on my car.. so there is a chance they might be back around. I usually see it on fridays or saturdays as I believe its a friend of someone who lives there and they throw big parties on the weekend. must have had one too many drinks is my thinking...

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
That looks awful, Ali :/

It is NOT that hard not to hit a parked car. There are just many careless douchebags who don't care when they don't look or think they have better depth perception than they actually do when turning the wheels... or who also just don't look when they back out of a spot.

Is this going to have to be a case of fender replacement? I hope not...
I know what you mean, some people just think they are so good, but really they eventually hit a car when parking, its just a matter of time if you always cut it close.
The problem with my car is it has the sc400 front lip, so I have to park it behind the curb.. and the SC is so darn long that you have to wait longer to cut if you are parked next to it. I am pretty sure that had something to do with it and the persons lack of depth perception.

I still find it hard to believe someone didn't notice a bright red car next to them.. its not like a dull color or anything.

I wont be replacing it that would be cut out and weld and expensive, I rather buy a clean sc400 and track/drag the SC300 to be honest. I have a good bodyshop guy I think they can get the big dent out and then fix the scrape and paint it. This car has been demoted as my nice car, I will just fix it with hopefully a body kit and call it a day. I wanted to use it for more track stuff in the future so this is just like wearing a new pair of shoes, its worn in now

Originally Posted by Meghanw1
I feel your pain. My car has been hit 3 times while parked on the street.
People are morons!
Ouch, that looks pretty bad. much worse than mine. I can get away with a repair it looks like.
Most of the paint should come off also but leaving it on there in case I find the guy.

Originally Posted by gerrb
Dang... Ali, sorry to see that happen. I remember a local buddy of mine getting his MKIV totaled because a big truck hit the damn quarter panel so bad while he was inside the movie house.. no note , nothing what so ever.
Thanks man, I am not too affected by it but it is unfortunate. If it was a mk4 I think I would go batsh@$ crazy.

Originally Posted by Meghanw1
Here is the most recent injury.

I hate getting that knock on the door. When you don't recognize the person. Then when they don't go away, you eventually open the door and they say, "Is that your black Lexus outside?"

My heart sinks!!
Ouch, that some bad luck but it does make me feel better about mine thanks

Originally Posted by LoveSCs
Damn Ali, I'm sorry to see that I don't know what I would do if someone hit mine like that
It happens, you just have to move on. at the end of the day its a car that can be replaced.
I just wish they had owned up to it and left a note... at the very least I should be due for some good luck soon.

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
Maybe you can get some insurance money out of it.It just sucks because the rear quarter will have to be replaced now most likely. Hopefully they dont total the car.
Yeah, I think I can claim on mine, or I might wait to see this weekend if the car comes around again as I know what it looks like, have seen it a few times. If they didn't even realize they hit my car, Its probably have a good chance they will be partying here again and I will be outside waiting with a police officer.

Originally Posted by Tabaka
For what it's worth, the right body guy can possibly pull that metal back to a reasonable condition and get it ready for body filler/paint. Consult with a few experienced body shops for a cost estimate.
Yeah, my brother said the same thing. we have a relationship with a shop that we used to take cars to when we had a dealer license for the auction cars etc.. they can knock it out but right now I don't want to do anything until I find the guy cause the police will need to look at both vehicles to remotely prove that it was that car that hit me.

Originally Posted by t2d2
Damn, that looks pretty bad. I'd be on the lookout for a mid-sized truck with red paint on the right front bumper. Looks like a bumper bar scraped against your tire and fender, before pressing in sharply.
It was like a smaller ford suv, like the new explorer or escape I forget but I have seen it enough times to be able to recognize it when it comes back around here. Its odd that the newer ones the bumpers are so low cause mine is lowered a little and they still hit the very bottom of the panel.

That is a good thing though cause if it was the top of the rear quarter I would probably have to replace it.

Originally Posted by salimshah
Carelessness and accidents can be the cause, but walking away without owning up to one mistake really pains me. I know damage is done but what is the purpose of carrying insurance. I see it no different from theft and more closer to robbery. What is our society coming too. I hope we educate all our car enthusiasts members/readers and their family + friends how to act responsibly and respect other peoples vehicle.

I am sorry for you loss Ali.

Salim
Well said Salim, some people do not care or understand about those things. I partly blame insurance cause everyone is afraid of their rates going up is what causes this. if Insurance was more reasonable with small accidents then maybe people wouldn't leave. its just how the system works though, I guess that is what uninsured motorist coverage is for.

Originally Posted by tkafam1
damn. that just sucks
Originally Posted by 1A1
Ridiculous! One of the reasons I park in BFE. Sorry for your luck.

Steve
Yeah, no worries. By 2017 it will be looking better than ever but I just want to have a few choice words with the owner of that car if I it around again.

I think for sure I am going to wait until I move back into a place with a 2 car garage and driveway so this sh#$ does not ever happen again. then I will do the body kit and paint

I'll keep y'all posted... on the good side, nothing mechanical was damage, she still gets up and goes as straight as she ever did
Old 05-17-16, 07:53 AM
962jzsc415
Intermediate

Received 83 Likes on 42 Posts

<br >

I felt ABUSED....
Old 05-17-16, 09:33 AM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I hate when that happens. It's a car enthusiast's worst nightmare. My 02 LS got hit while it was parked in front of a restaurant. It sucks having to pay for the damage.

I would assume it was a hit and run in your case?
Old 05-17-16, 09:37 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Sucks man...

Wait till you get some marks on your truck/SUV...

A lot of people with cars always scrap their mirrors on my trucks for some reason....with it being lifted it hits you right in middle of door.
Old 05-17-16, 07:47 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

That is quite easily repair able. At least you didn't put a concrete filled steel pole into the front of it like I did mine when I slid on ice. Damn hit & run drivers anyway. You should find them & kick their qtr pnl in like I did to some one when they bashed my newly painted 68 Javelin. I've calmed down alot since getting older.��
Old 05-18-16, 12:30 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by 962jzsc415
<br >

I felt ABUSED....
Ouch, not as bad but anything in that area really sucks having to deal with repairing.
I wish it was the front so I could replace the fender and call it a day.

Originally Posted by Kira X
I hate when that happens. It's a car enthusiast's worst nightmare. My 02 LS got hit while it was parked in front of a restaurant. It sucks having to pay for the damage.

I would assume it was a hit and run in your case?
Yeah, its a bad situation but at the end of the day it wont be the most costly repair or anything.
Yeah It is a hit and run, I was not anywhere close when it happened.

Originally Posted by CatManD3W
Sucks man...

Wait till you get some marks on your truck/SUV...

A lot of people with cars always scrap their mirrors on my trucks for some reason....with it being lifted it hits you right in middle of door.
That is funny I think I already have one of those.
My GX is my beater... which is not how most people use it but it has so many random scratches and dings all over now that if there was a new one I probably wouldn't notice.
I plan to throw the ARB front bumper off a Prado on it and some 4runner sliders and it will look like all the scratches belong right where they are.

Originally Posted by Ramblerman
That is quite easily repair able. At least you didn't put a concrete filled steel pole into the front of it like I did mine when I slid on ice. Damn hit & run drivers anyway. You should find them & kick their qtr pnl in like I did to some one when they bashed my newly painted 68 Javelin. I've calmed down alot since getting older.��
Yeah, definitely repairable. ouch that sounds pretty bad I would not want to slide into anything like that at all. First I have to find the car, then I will think about kicking things in. more so I just want them to make it right monetarily so it can go towards repair and/or bodykit without being so much out of pocket.

Last edited by Ali SC3; 05-18-16 at 08:11 PM.
Old 05-18-16, 06:43 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Ali: They didn't have money or insurance, so I took my frustration out the only way I could. Catman: I'm quite familiar with Pittsburgh drivers & wouldn't park anything on the street if I don't have to. I've watched to many of them use the parked cars as bumpers to stay on the street.��
Old 05-18-16, 08:33 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 53 Likes on 43 Posts

Someone trying to parallel park front first side swiped my GX last week. No note.
Attached Thumbnails Is it really that hard not to hit my parked car???-image.jpeg  
Old 05-18-16, 11:06 PM
kartel876
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

that sucks dude mine was nailed by a drunk a month after i bought my SC and he tried to run. i did catch him and had him arrested. tore up the driver side of my car but its fixed now and ready for NA-T setup finally
Old 05-19-16, 08:18 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Idiots are all over the place. That was probably a 1985 civic that was spray painted white that swiped you there. At least it isn't too bad...I avoid parking in the streets when I can.
Old 05-20-16, 08:12 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Yeah I recently had to relocate and lost my garage so pretty much figured something like this would happen sooner or later.

Its all good though, after a little bit of work it looks so much better now!!

Old 05-20-16, 08:29 AM
salimshah

Received 995 Likes on 899 Posts

How about a mod ,,,
proximity sensor activates a camera.

Salim
Old 05-21-16, 09:01 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Quarter panel damage sucks. It's hard to tell, but it looks like some that paint transfer could be polished out. I think it would make it a little easier on the eyes until you can get it fixed properly.

I had some damage on the same section of my car. Every shop I went to insisted on painting my entire quarter panel on both sides plus my roof since there wasn't any body line they could stop at, and this resulted in a lot of $2-3k quotes. I regret not spending the extra cash at the time and painting the entire car at once.

If you're only going to repair the damaged area, then I would recommend having a shop paint below the body line/crease on the quarter panel. It'll be cheaper and if the paint match isn't good it's just a small section. If you're planning on painting the entire car, then ignore what I said.
Old 05-21-16, 09:24 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Sorry to see that. Perfect excuse to repaint the entire car.
Old 05-21-16, 10:00 AM
sakataj
Lexus Fanatic

Received 72 Likes on 71 Posts

this is why i got a blackvue 2 channel dr650gw-2ch camera records for 8-12 hours of idle time AND turns on, on a impact. front/rear cameras.... people suck

Quick Reply: Is it really that hard not to hit my parked car???