SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Potential buyer needs input on near-mint 5spd SC300!

Search this Thread

Old 05-11-16, 07:08 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Potential buyer needs input on near-mint 5spd SC300!

FIRST POST!!! Hello all, new around here but hopefully this Lexus will change that. Feel free to let me know if I'm doing this forum thing incorrectly, tips are welcome.

***EDIT: Apparently "near-mint" is not correct, so I'll just say "very nice" instead***

I've found a very nice 1992 Lexus SC300 with the 5 speed transmission. I've done extensive research and communicated thoroughly with the owner. I've also had the vehicle inspected by my mechanic. Here's what I know.

- 2jze-ge, W58 tranny, black, no sun roof, cloth interior
- VERY clean minus tiny scuffs, invisible chip on windshield, and headlights with slight condensation
- BONE STOCK
- 188k miles
- needs rear rotors/ e-brake adjustment
- power steering is a little leaky and noisy but is still under warranty by his shop
- new front struts (something like that)
- new shifter bearings
- new spark plugs, wires, various hoses
- recent wheel alignment with new tires

Everything else is immaculate!! It drives soooo nice.

So, you'd be a fool to not see this as a pretty special car. However, the price seems steep. He had it at 4900, but right now we are at 4500 with the following: black factory car cover, black spoiler with hardware, and an amplifier. I would be a happy man to do 3700 - 3900 but that doesn't seem like it'll happen. So, what do you think? I LOVE the car and have big plans if I were to buy, but am trying to stay objective.

So I guess I'm asking:

- thoughts on the vehicle
- thoughts on the price
- comparable vehicle prices

Thanks so much for reading and thanks for having me in wonderful CL!

Last edited by Chattanoah; 05-11-16 at 10:52 PM.
Old 05-11-16, 07:28 PM
Tempock
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

4500 for a 5sp? That's a steal. Buy it, like right now.
Old 05-11-16, 07:33 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Do it. If it's the car you want, you'll have to search a long time to find a factory 5-spd hardtop for much cheaper (or even close to as cheap). The mileage is average and the condition sounds good.

I personally would only consider '93+ because '92 was the sole year with freon, but that's not a big concern for most people.
Old 05-11-16, 08:59 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

That's actually a pretty cheap price.
The hardtop is very rare, and the 5spd is also not very common.

Seems like it's in decent shape, so that is a rather fair price. You probably won't find another 5spd hardtop for sale... like at all for a few years. Definitely worth snagging if you like it
Old 05-11-16, 09:08 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by t2d2
Do it. If it's the car you want, you'll have to search a long time to find a factory 5-spd hardtop for much cheaper (or even close to as cheap). The mileage is average and the condition sounds good.

I personally would only consider '93+ because '92 was the sole year with freon, but that's not a big concern for most people.
I had my 1992 swapped from R12(that leaked out) to R134a. $300 and 2 years later the a/c blows colder than a witch's tit. So that's non-issue in my book.

I'd say its a fair price provided the body is straight, paint is nice(zero fading, no clear coat peeling anywhere), and the interior is clean. Post some pics up, I've never seen one of these cars with cloth seats.
Old 05-11-16, 09:14 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Here is the ad . . .

https://chattanooga.craigslist.org/cto/5556138909.html

In the picture the pass side rear quarter panel looks really wavy, like some poorly done body work. Could be the picture, but I'd check that real close before you buy it, maybe pull the carpet back in the trunk.
Old 05-11-16, 09:26 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Aron9000
In the picture the pass side rear quarter panel looks really wavy, like some poorly done body work. Could be the picture, but I'd check that real close before you buy it, maybe pull the carpet back in the trunk.
I second this, if body work was done to that panel make sure to point it out and negotiate down. It looks awfully wavy, and rear quarter panel damage is notoriously difficult to fix on these cars. If it's not straight that is a huge bargaining chip in negotiations.
Old 05-11-16, 09:46 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Dude,

That car is nowhere near, "mint." It's not in bad shape, but will likely need some neglected maintenance including bodywork and a respray. I strongly recommend that you have a mechanic do an inspection. It will save you from any possible unpleasant surprises.

- good luck
Old 05-11-16, 10:14 PM
SCShawn
Driver School Candidate

Its definitely a nice car, and pretty rare without the sun roof. But that's not even close to mint.

The price is pretty fair, but I am willing to bet that you can get it for what you are wanting to pay.

Good luck!
Old 05-11-16, 10:19 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 229 Likes on 209 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
I had my 1992 swapped from R12(that leaked out) to R134a. $300 and 2 years later the a/c blows colder than a witch's tit. So that's non-issue in my book.
Sure, you can do the retrofit, but a lot of people report it not working as well or for as long as an original R134a setup. Unless there's something about the particular '92 you have to have, I consider '93+ a better value. Plus, '92s account for more than a third of all '92-00s produced, so all the other years gain a little edge in my view by being far less common. That is, of course, totally irrelevant with a 5-spd hardtop.

I don't see the quarter panel waviness you guys are talking about. It just looks like the reflection of a tree line to me.
Old 05-11-16, 10:32 PM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Great input, thanks everyone. To clarify some things:

- It was inspected, all mech. issues listed above.
- the rear quarter is NOT bent; there ARE light scuffs I know about that look buff-able (yep. buff-able).
- I agree it's not mint, but in *person* it really is not done justice by those pics.

ALSO, I learned that "HOW MUCH DIS SC WORTH" posts are considered annoying, so... my b. lol.
Input is appreciated regardless and I'd love to a few more opinions

Last edited by Chattanoah; 05-13-16 at 06:52 PM.
Old 05-12-16, 12:18 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

It's not mint but it does look good! Hardtop and cloth interior are incredibly rare! And it's stock. 188k miles is fine. I bought my SC 5-speed when it had 189k on the ODO. $4,500 is a good price considering the shape it's in. Negotiate as you wish on top of it but that's pretty good.

Yes, 1992 has the R12 air but some of these cars were converted to R134a. My 1993 came with R12 originally and dealer service records show it was converted at a Lexus dealer. You might find that's the case... or not. Still, the service parts to convert it are all still available from Lexus and Denso if needed.

Other than maintenance, plan for LS400 front brake calipers and ECU service. It can always be converted to leather interior as well.

Unless, as suggested above, there is some suspicion of unreported prior accident damage (Carfax?) then I also agree that this is a good one. Very hard to find.

Go for it!
Old 05-12-16, 12:26 AM
Chattanoah
Rookie

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
It's not mint but it does look good!
Go for it!
Thanks Kahn! The positive response you and others are giving is awesome. I'm loving how this community is set up.
Old 05-12-16, 05:09 AM
tptpete
Driver

Well I want cloth seats, you can have my leather ones plus cash so you can recover them to be brand new (drivers one is shot like every other one). Car looks good. I'd scoop it up.
Old 05-12-16, 07:10 AM
jimbosr1
Racer

Received 146 Likes on 115 Posts

both mine and my sons 93's have r12 in them.
94 was the first year for 134a https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...fferences.html

Last edited by jimbosr1; 05-12-16 at 07:23 AM.

Quick Reply: Potential buyer needs input on near-mint 5spd SC300!