GAUGING INTEREST: Urethane Spindle Grill Bumper for SC - Club Lexus Forums

GAUGING INTEREST: Urethane Spindle Grill Bumper for SC

Old 05-02-16, 12:11 AM   #1
Penthos
Driver School Candidate

Default GAUGING INTEREST: Urethane Spindle Grill Bumper for SC

Disclaimer: I am in no way affiliated with American Plastic Technologies. I simply interact with them and have an idea (which they've also thought about) that I would like to push.

Welcome to the (unofficial) start-up thread to petition American Plastic Technologies to design, construct and produce a NEW polyurethane front bumper for the 1st Gen SC chassis, utilizing the current-gen Lexus spindle grill (if you are unaware of the spindle grill's appearance, it is the large front grill featured on current-gen Lexus models. It incorporates the angles of the Lexus logo).

APT is a company specializing in polyurethane pieces for various car models. They have a presence here on our forums and have already produced an Auto Couture style poly kit for the SC. Their products are known for perfect fitment and are extremely high quality for reasonable prices. They are also in the process of producing a poly vertex style kit as well.

"Why APT?
Every part we make is manufactured with the highest quality at our facility in Brea, California. Because we manufacture in the United States, we are able to take quality control to the highest level. Every part is individually inspected three times before leaving our facility! This leads us to our Limited Lifetime Warranty. If your part breaks or does not fit properly, due to manufacture defect, we will replace the part free of charge, or issue you a refund. We want our customers to know we are an American made company that will stand behind each product we build."

Due to the cost of the spindle grill and other components required to design a current-gen bumper, the final retail will hover around $1000 give or take. APT believes that it is too high of a price and that they will not be able to sell these bumpers. Only 15 committed buyers are needed to make this a possibility. If we can gather 15 like-minded, committed individuals who want to have a badass, modern front end, then we can bring this to fruition.

Like all their other pieces, this modern front bumper will start as a group buy. There will be a 100% refundable deposit (usually 50% of total group buy price) with the other half due before shipment. We've had every single customer of APT have nothing but good things to say. I, myself, bought their AC style kit.

So the question is, how many of you would be interested in the spindle grill front bumper at this price (depending on their design) ? If so, let me know here and show APT there are plenty of us who want this. Especially in high quality urethane. Of course, this all depends on design. BUT, if you are down for the idea and don't mind the price-point, please let me know here.

Last edited by Penthos; 05-02-16 at 01:52 AM.
Penthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 12:57 AM   #2
xrsracer
Pole Position

Show how the design will look like so people will actual know the exact style they are gonna purchase
xrsracer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 01:26 AM   #3
Penthos
Driver School Candidate

Quote:
Originally Posted by xrsracer View Post
Show how the design will look like so people will actual know the exact style they are gonna purchase
Mr xrs I am in no way affiliated with APT. This thread is am interest thread to help push them into production. So if you would be interested in a modern bumper and don't mind the price, then that's what this thread is for. There's no money or anything being asked for at this point, I just want to show them that there is a market for this style of bumper.
Penthos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 02:47 AM   #4
Lsxxx
Driver School Candidate

+1 id defiantly would be interested pending on final outcome
Lsxxx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 03:20 AM   #5
cheez
Pole Position

I'm interested to see what it will look like, and price
cheez is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 07:06 AM   #6
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

i'd be interested as well, but need to know how it will flow with 97+ side skirts, or will the car need lower aftermarket skirts to pull it off.
myLEXsc400 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 07:07 AM   #7
gerrb

OP - As three or four people above said it , seeing how it looks like on an SC will help a lot .

A photoshopped picture or even a drawing showing it on an SC in different angles will give people a better idea if they want it or not . It will be hard to make people commit to a $1000 product without seeing how the car will look like.

Maybe since you are in a discussion with them , you could request them to further be able gauge interest for such bumper.

Last edited by gerrb; 05-02-16 at 07:36 AM.
gerrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 07:14 AM   #8
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

here's how it will look. if it has the huge side grills as well, i'd definitely be interested, the spindle alone isn't enough.

oldManTan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 08:49 AM   #9
gerrb

common Irving ... I thought you were doing a prototype on your car

why the hell you need to cut your bumper that way if it wasn't for a spindle grille ?

gerrb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 09:30 AM   #10
Blkexcoupe
Lexus Champion

Are they planning on producing their own spindle style grill in the estimated $1k price or is it $1k for their bumper and we'd have to buy a 3IS or similar spindle grill (like how we need to buy the 97+ grill)?

Tret's car eliminates the factory high beams in order to fit the 3IS grill, but on Irving's car they cut it much smaller, so it's possible he is trying to design something else.
Blkexcoupe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 09:59 AM   #11
pur4orm
Driver

Definitely interested
pur4orm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 01:55 PM   #12
Soflosc
Driver School Candidate

I believe I'm the first to do the spindle grill on this gen sc. Still working to improve. I've done two so far. One on my red 1998 front and the current on my black 1995

Last edited by Soflosc; 05-02-16 at 02:13 PM.
Soflosc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 03:10 PM   #13
Kohinoor
Lexus Fanatic

i think you could probably get like 5 people to cough up $1000, but not 15
Kohinoor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 03:16 PM   #14
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldManTan View Post
here's how it will look. if it has the huge side grills as well, i'd definitely be interested, the spindle alone isn't enough.

If it looks like that, it would be killer! I am amazed that it actually flows with the lines of the car from that angle. Wish they finished the project and painted everything to really see how it looks.
97-SC300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-02-16, 04:24 PM   #15
sunny416
Driver

I'd most definitely be interested in this bumper. If this is real I'd honestly back out of the v2 of the next group buy.
sunny416 is offline   Reply With Quote