SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Cassette won't load on to track

Search this Thread

Old 04-30-16, 12:52 PM
prestony7
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Cassette won't load on to track

I am trying to restore my car and keep it as close to factory as possible so please no upgrade jokes. But the problem is when I try to insert a cassette it goes all the way in but the player won't grab the tape and set it on the track. It basically just springs back out to where 1/4 of the tape just hangs out. Model of the car is the 1995 SC300 if that makes a difference as far as the tape player goes into have no idea simply says lexus premium audio system on the console.thanks guys
Old 05-02-16, 10:42 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

As a 36 year old, I know the importance of keeping cassette tapes alive. However, in a modern society, it's going to be difficult to repair/or locate someone to repair an audio head unit with a tape player. The idea of fast forwarding/rewinding a tape to locate a preferred song is an exhausting experience in todays standard. I really recommend that you look at the DIY for installing an AUX port to enjoy music in a faster and reliable manner.
Old 05-02-16, 11:02 AM
prestony7
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Tabaka
As a 36 year old, I know the importance of keeping cassette tapes alive. However, in a modern society, it's going to be difficult to repair/or locate someone to repair an audio head unit with a tape player. The idea of fast forwarding/rewinding a tape to locate a preferred song is an exhausting experience in todays standard. I really recommend that you look at the DIY for installing an AUX port to enjoy music in a faster and reliable manner.
I have definitely looked into installing an aux port but if I can get the tape deck working again it will increase the resale value once it becomes a classic car at 25 years as I've kept it mostly stock and kept it good shape
Old 05-02-16, 11:38 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Dude,

The cassette motor and related mechanisms sits at the top of the unit as you know so access isn't difficult and it should be serviceable. You could purchase a working same-year unit which will take a bit of time to find or ship this one to a repair place, which is becoming more difficult to find, but they're still out there.

Good luck

Last edited by freakness; 05-02-16 at 11:43 AM.
Old 05-02-16, 02:39 PM
chavy
Driver School Candidate

Mine did that so I took it apart to see what looked out of place. It ended up being a broken rubber belt. yours may be the same thing. I can upload pictures when I get home if you want.
Old 05-04-16, 04:03 PM
GordonDET
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by prestony7
I have definitely looked into installing an aux port but if I can get the tape deck working again it will increase the resale value once it becomes a classic car at 25 years as I've kept it mostly stock and kept it good shape
Probably cheaper to try and find a used unit if you cant get it fixed for a reasonable price.

Also don't put too much value on the price jumping once it reaches it's 25th birthday. I love my 92, but when it turns 25 I'm not expecting anything other than cheap inspections with no emissions testing, and my options expanding on what engine I'll drop in
Old 05-04-16, 07:01 PM
MackOnDeez
Driver

Originally Posted by Tabaka
+1 on the AUX wire up if you wanna keep the "stock" look. it sounds amazing and a great upgrade.

im still using the tape aux cord.

if you can the BEST thing to do is just get aftermarket, looks much better and its 2016... tech is much better. ASSUMING your car came with Pioneer and NOT nakamichi...

nakamichi will **** your stereo installer off... but it still can be done.
Old 05-04-16, 07:56 PM
javaswing
Driver School Candidate

if you were in canada you could ship it to me. It can be fixed 30-40 would do it. but its the dam border that sucks.