SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Improving radio reception, broken antenna . . . .

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-16, 11:23 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Improving radio reception, broken antenna . . . .

So my power antenna crapped out last week, got stuck going up. After some finagling and cajoling, I have it back in the "down" position with the motor disconnected.

Anyways, reading up on this car, apparently they also had an antenna integrated into the rear glass. I do like to listen to the public radio for news, in town I get "okay" reception with the rear glass antenna, get 20-30 miles out and the signal is breaking up, where as when the rear aerial worked, I could get that same signal from 100 miles away.

Anyways, any aftermarket solutions for the defunct rear antenna? I've heard they now make antennas you can mount inside the car, and just completely disconnect that rear antenna, leave it down and forget about it.
Old 04-23-16, 01:46 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

What year is your SC? Did all years come with diversity antenna systems?

The cleanest and most common solution I think has been retrofitting the stubby antenna from certain years of the Acura MDX, possibly with a signal booster. Of all the OEM and aftermarket stubby retrofits it does seem to match the SC's lines the best. Apart from stock.

I chose to replace the aerial in my original antenna a while back. It was a pain to get in there correctly but it solved my issue. I also like the old-fashioned motorized antenna. It's also great for picking up out-there FM and AM stations while traveling lone highways in the country.

I'm not sure eliminating the original antenna, however old-fashioned it may be, will give the same long distance reception. I'd consider a signal booster. I have also heard of these aftermarket rear glass FM antenna conversions but I've yet to find a popular one that people rave about.
Old 04-23-16, 02:28 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
What year is your SC? Did all years come with diversity antenna systems?

The cleanest and most common solution I think has been retrofitting the stubby antenna from certain years of the Acura MDX, possibly with a signal booster. Of all the OEM and aftermarket stubby retrofits it does seem to match the SC's lines the best. Apart from stock.

I chose to replace the aerial in my original antenna a while back. It was a pain to get in there correctly but it solved my issue. I also like the old-fashioned motorized antenna. It's also great for picking up out-there FM and AM stations while traveling lone highways in the country.

I'm not sure eliminating the original antenna, however old-fashioned it may be, will give the same long distance reception. I'd consider a signal booster. I have also heard of these aftermarket rear glass FM antenna conversions but I've yet to find a popular one that people rave about.

Sorry, should have posted some specs about the car.

Its a 1992 SC300, factory base radio, NO Namakatichi option, it does have the CD Changer option, power antenna, and the additional rear glass antenna. I plan to keep the factory radio head unit, I have all the parts for an aux input, already replaced the door speakers. Just love the stock look of the dash, even though bluetooth would would be cool with an aftermarket, I just hate the way aftermarket radios look in this car.
Old 04-23-16, 06:41 AM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Whip antennas are simple and omnidirectional. Dipole (one built in the glass) and after market are directional. The stubby are like whip antennas but they generally have a signal booster built in to compensate for loss in reception due to smaller mast. The limitation of the the stubby with boost is that the noise gets boosted too. If you are capturing FM the noise can be cancelled but simple physics give the mast an advantage.

What amazed me on 95 SC, was that the antenna length changes with the frequency you tune to. Dont know how many people noticed the level of refinement in this car.

Salim
Old 04-26-16, 12:05 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Originally Posted by salimshah
Whip antennas are simple and omnidirectional. Dipole (one built in the glass) and after market are directional. The stubby are like whip antennas but they generally have a signal booster built in to compensate for loss in reception due to smaller mast. The limitation of the the stubby with boost is that the noise gets boosted too. If you are capturing FM the noise can be cancelled but simple physics give the mast an advantage.

What amazed me on 95 SC, was that the antenna length changes with the frequency you tune to. Dont know how many people noticed the level of refinement in this car.

Salim

Dude I noticed that, when I changed from one station to another, the motor would sound for a brief second, if you had the volume low and were sitting still/cruising at low speed. I figured the antenna was shorting out or something with the radio change, but I never noticed a difference in sound quality.