SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

tell me im not crazy CL

Old 04-10-16, 06:49 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default tell me im not crazy CL

OK so here's the situation CL, i was having all the symptoms of a bad ecu. I took mine out of the car and opened it up and lo and behold i had a leaking capacitor. went on ebay found a seller with a 99.6 rating selling a rebuilt version of my exact ecu(now i know that drift-motion will rebuild them for way cheaper) ordered it. and went back and forth with them trying to get it shipped for a week. apparently the owner had a stroke around the same time i ordered it. anyway finally got it yesterday and im happy as all get out. i took the battery terminals off and popped in the new REBUILT ecu. car starts up STRONG for like 3 seconds and then dies. i do this 6 more times, same thing...by the way i have a 95 sc300 no need for re flashing. i check all my plugs and connections cant find jack out of place. so on a hunch i pop my old ecu in and the car fires right up...so this means the REBUILT ecu is no good right? that's the only conclusion that i can come to..they are supposed to be pnp at least for the 95's right...someone tell me i'm not crazy these ppl make me wanna pull my hair out.. btw yes all the numbers match on my ecu's
Old 04-10-16, 10:11 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

ok so if i crank the car and hold the key it stays crunk but as soon as i let go it cuts off..if i turn the key to acc the check engine light doesnt flash.. does this indicate a bad ecu? im searching and have found nothing definitive. help me out guys i know someone knows something
Old 04-10-16, 10:34 AM
dogwisper
Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

My understanding and my own personal experience is if you have a functioning check engine light ( good bulb) and it now doesn't light with the new ecu you have a bad ecu. My first question is since they didn't rebuild your unit did you get the correct model etc of ecu for your car? They made different models for different cars depending on engine, transmission etc.
Old 04-10-16, 11:06 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

yes they match exactly. and no my check engine light doesnt come on at all when i turn the key on. so you mean this ***** sold me a bad ecu?
Old 04-10-16, 11:20 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Contact Jason at Tanin and see if he can help you out...... He may be able to offer you some affordable options.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/V...air-s/1892.htm
Old 04-10-16, 11:21 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by dogwisper
My understanding and my own personal experience is if you have a functioning check engine light ( good bulb) and it now doesn't light with the new ecu you have a bad ecu. My first question is since they didn't rebuild your unit did you get the correct model etc of ecu for your car? They made different models for different cars depending on engine, transmission etc.
and thanks btw for at least responding to my thread. this form seems dead these days
Old 04-10-16, 11:24 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by Duck05
Contact Jason at Tanin and see if he can help you out...... He may be able to offer you some affordable options.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/V...air-s/1892.htm
i saw the rebuild service on driftmotion also for $89, but they dont say what kind of capacitors they use. i think ill go with this
Old 04-10-16, 11:29 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

i am just so pissed right now. I was so happy when i got the ecu in the mail and now this crap happensthis car is my daily driver too..im tired of driving my GF galant to work everyday i want mine back. i guess on the bright side i can get my $225 refund back from the other guy so i save some loot
Old 04-10-16, 07:01 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Click the Tanin link in the above post it gives a price and use of capacitors.
Old 04-10-16, 08:18 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by Rickbean
he says he is the only one that uses the correct capacitors in the u.s. well what about tanin?
Tanin claims to use the correct capacitors, an so far they have not given us a reason not to trust them. My ECU was rebuilt my Tanin and it works fine now. However they don't allow you to open the ECU after having it serviced or the warranty becomes void. So I haven't looked at the board, and couldn't confirm for you, but like I said they have given me no reason not to trust them so far.
Old 04-11-16, 02:24 AM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by eknine9
Tanin claims to use the correct capacitors, an so far they have not given us a reason not to trust them. My ECU was rebuilt my Tanin and it works fine now. However they don't allow you to open the ECU after having it serviced or the warranty becomes void. So I haven't looked at the board, and couldn't confirm for you, but like I said they have given me no reason not to trust them so far.

i sent pics of my ecu to the guy on face book. my ecu has a little spot on it with corrosion. guy said i need to find a perfect core and if i get mine rebuilt the corrosion would return..basically he said i need to buy off ebay and return the bad ones and when i find a good one send him that so he can rebuild it. i really dont have the time for this i need my car back. i dont care if the ecu messes up in two years i need my car back asap. im calling tanin today to see if he can help me out..on a side note i removed the lid on the ecu that was REBUILT and it has cheap Chinese caps in it. no wonder it doesnt work. the core was perfect with no corrosion but i was advised that it might have been exposed to static and to just return it.
Old 04-11-16, 08:52 AM
tptpete
Driver

If the corrosion is truly minor is won't matter.. but having a clean one rebuilt would be better. He just doesn't want to clean it...

Send the ebay one that's clean to be rebuilt. Did you already check junk yards or know any local owners? For someone that uses it as a second car may be able to loan it for a week or two while you get running.
Old 04-11-16, 12:59 PM
Rickbean
Rookie

Originally Posted by tptpete
If the corrosion is truly minor is won't matter.. but having a clean one rebuilt would be better. He just doesn't want to clean it...

Send the ebay one that's clean to be rebuilt. Did you already check junk yards or know any local owners? For someone that uses it as a second car may be able to loan it for a week or two while you get running.
That's the impression I got. As soon as I sent him the pic he said if he fixed it there was a chance it would come back and I need to basically order and return from eBay until I find a good one. I tried to explain that I didn't care i f it comes back in 6 months or whatever I just need my car on the road asap. After that hen I can worry about a perfect donor ecu. I opened the faulty one from eBay and the guy used cheap Chinese caps but the board had no corrosion. He told me I need to get my money back and that there might be static damage to the board. I agree I wish there was a way to tell though cause that would be a perfect donor. I sent tanin pics though cause they said they clean boards and they are about $60 cheaper
Old 04-11-16, 01:01 PM
Rickbean
Rookie

This is the damaged area
Attached Thumbnails tell me im not crazy CL-0410162302.jpg   tell me im not crazy CL-0410162312.jpg  
Old 04-11-16, 01:04 PM
Rickbean
Rookie

Better angle
Attached Thumbnails tell me im not crazy CL-0410162301.jpg  

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: tell me im not crazy CL