SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

How to purchase a car from someone on facebook?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-16, 03:08 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow How to purchase a car from someone on facebook?

There is a car I've been wanting to buy on facebook. I'll have to get it transported from new mexico. It's a 10hr drive from here but the car has no spare tire or jack. They quoted me a good price to transport. But how would I go about paying the guy for the vehicle? He said paypal, cash, or cashiers check. But I won't be seeing him face to face so seems like paypal is the best bet... but is it safe? What is the process to do this if any of you have ever purchased a vehicle from another state?
Old 03-25-16, 04:59 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

If you cannot find time to get here and look at him face to face, I wouldn't buy the car. Schedule a few days to come down just to be safe.

I live in Albuquerque, When my Dad and I went to get my IS350, I had to leave at midnight, got to dallas at about 9 in the morning, bought the vehicle, and was back in Amarillo by 7 in the evening. We could have made it home around midnight but that would have been close to a 24 hour day...point is, you can knock it out in almost one day if need be. Just bring along a good amount of energy...
Old 03-25-16, 05:06 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by SC400slide
If you cannot find time to get here and look at him face to face, I wouldn't buy the car. Schedule a few days to come down just to be safe.

I live in Albuquerque, When my Dad and I went to get my IS350, I had to leave at midnight, got to dallas at about 9 in the morning, bought the vehicle, and was back in Amarillo by 7 in the evening. We could have made it home around midnight but that would have been close to a 24 hour day...point is, you can knock it out in almost one day if need be. Just bring along a good amount of energy...
Haha, thank you. I will suggest going if my dad is up for it. It's a 10 hr trip there, and another 10 back. Right now all my money is in online banks though and don't have access to cash and scheduling would be a bit tough. Reason why I wanted to have transport is because I was quoted at $300 for it, and the gas is probably over $200, and with the time it takes I figured it would be easier for a transport. Also the car does not come with a jack or spare tire so if something happened it may be a hassle.

Just for kicks, it's a 1995 Toyota Supra, NA auto. with 121k miles and clean title going for $14k, and there were no issues with it except some minor body scratches and dings.
Old 03-25-16, 05:25 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by BigBang
Haha, thank you. I will suggest going if my dad is up for it. It's a 10 hr trip there, and another 10 back. Right now all my money is in online banks though and don't have access to cash and scheduling would be a bit tough. Reason why I wanted to have transport is because I was quoted at $300 for it, and the gas is probably over $200, and with the time it takes I figured it would be easier for a transport. Also the car does not come with a jack or spare tire so if something happened it may be a hassle.

Just for kicks, it's a 1995 Toyota Supra, NA auto. with 121k miles and clean title going for $14k, and there were no issues with it except some minor body scratches and dings.
There is still that risk. Paying wirelessly isn't always fail safe. There is a reason for Craigslist' policy which basically says Paypal or wireless transfer is considered 100% fraudulent. Sometimes it's best to wait till you have 2 days to run and get it. Maybe he will hold it for you till you have the time to get it. If he likes the Supra even a little bit, he'll gladly accept keeping it for a few more weeks...
Old 03-25-16, 05:33 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

There is still that risk. Paying wirelessly isn't always fail safe. There is a reason for Craigslist' policy which basically says Paypal or wireless transfer is considered 100% fraudulent. Sometimes it's best to wait till you have 2 days to run and get it. Maybe he will hold it for you till you have the time to get it. If he likes the Supra even a little bit, he'll gladly accept keeping it for a few more weeks...
Yes, that is true. I'll see what happens then, unfortunately there are people from all around the country offering even more than his asking price (probably a scam), but nobody is willing to travel to Clovis to get it.
Old 03-25-16, 05:41 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by BigBang
Yes, that is true. I'll see what happens then, unfortunately there are people from all around the country offering even more than his asking price (probably a scam), but nobody is willing to travel to Clovis to get it.
Not surprised. That is a very good price for a supra that hasn't been maligned with. If I had the $$ I'd be looking to buy that too.

I'd get those days off ASAP...
Old 03-25-16, 07:44 PM
jimmymac30
Advanced

Received 56 Likes on 47 Posts

14k is a great deal... almost worth the trip if it pans out. i say... ROAD TRIP!
Old 03-25-16, 09:44 PM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

"How to purchase a car from someone on Facebook" I know it's (Supra) like a unicorn, but I'll refer to Will Ferrells' comment in this "Old School" scene...
Old 03-26-16, 12:18 AM
BigBang
Lead Lap

I decided to do the road trip. My father is willing, thank goodness he's a professional mechanic too. Hopefully it does not get sold by then..... we are both unavailable until 2 weeks later. The risk is too high to do any online transactions, and I think it's much more smart to look at the car physically to avoid being scammed. Thanks for the input guys... hopefully in 2 weeks I"ll have a Supra. I'll post pics if it happens.
Old 03-26-16, 08:41 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Now that's a more reasonable approach, in buying a vehicle. I just hope it's not a wasted trip/bust. Good luck with your 🦄.
Old 03-26-16, 04:07 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Good choice.
Never let your rush to own something ever stop you from doing your due diligence. Better for someone else to buy it, than for you to buy a dud sight unseen. This won't be the last Supra to come up for sale either.
Old 03-26-16, 07:09 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Originally Posted by Teal Sc400
Now that's a more reasonable approach, in buying a vehicle. I just hope it's not a wasted trip/bust. Good luck with your 🦄.
No road trip is a waste...especially with your Dad. Memories to be had!

Let us know if you get it, did you ask the owner if he is willing to hold for you?
Old 03-27-16, 08:30 PM
BigBang
Lead Lap

No road trip is a waste...especially with your Dad. Memories to be had!

Let us know if you get it, did you ask the owner if he is willing to hold for you?
I sure will. I didn't ask him. His original post is $14.5k he said he could maybe do $14k. He also said that there were offers higher than what he asked for which I'm not sure why anyone would want to offer more if they didn't want to go down there to pick up the vehicle. I'm sure he would sell it to the highest bidder and I figured him holding it for me could be a bad thing for him in the case I end up wasting his time and not purchasing it for whatever reason.
Old 03-28-16, 08:28 AM
tptpete
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Offer a small deposit? $100-$200? Still a risk because he could sell it and be a jerk, but may convince him to hold it. Rather take 14k then blow you off and wait for no-shows.
Old 03-28-16, 11:22 AM
Grobar
Driver School Candidate

Be careful. I put down a deposit on a SC from the classified section on here. Car seemed great on posts. I drove 11 hours with a buddy. Car was leaking from roof, had needles not working, bad ECU, ****ty tires and paint had WAY more **** ups than pictures showed. I unfortunately resigned to get it since we spent all that money and time and the dude was not willing to send me my deposit back. I know it sounds like a good deal, especially for a Supra, but unless you can take the financial hit in case the car isn't as advertised, don't give any money and make the trip. You could also post on facebook and ask if someone is willing to go look at the car for you and verify condition.

Quick Reply: How to purchase a car from someone on facebook?