SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Deciding on a few SC400s (1 of which has a rebuilt title)

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-16, 05:59 PM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Deciding on a few SC400s (1 of which has a rebuilt title)

Hello All,

I am still searching for my SC400 and I have been searching for a few months now.

A few came across and wanted to get some feedback from this community:

1. 1992 with 98k miles, clean carfax and 1 owner, sold by a local used card dealer for $4K - only concern here is that its a 92 and sold by a non franchise dealer.

2. 1998 with 90k miles but has a rebuilt title (was in a accident and was hit on the side but owner claims no frame damage).

From the pictures, the car looks really clean and in pretty good condition. The private seller is asking for $5500 (pretty firm) which is the low range of the kbb value. this is local as well.

3. 1999 with 155k miles and the owner seems to want a pretty penny for it as he thought kbb was way too low. I have to fly to get this car too

4. 1997 with 120k miles, the owner indicated that there is slow oil leak but leaves nothing on the ground. He wants $4k for it but I will also have to travel 300 miles.

Part of me wants to go check out option 2 since its local and seems to be in good shape but the car has a rebuilt title.

My objective to get an SC is really to buy a car which require little to no work (mechanically or cosmetically) and just something fun I can commute with.

What do you guys think about buying a rebuilt title car? I will have it checked out before buying and is fully aware of the resell value.

I don't plan to resell it in the near term and it maybe just a good project car to build on.

Let me know which option you think you would pick and if you have any experience with rebuilt cars.

I know car this old can be totaled easily by the insurance company.

Thanks all in advance.

Ed
Old 03-10-16, 08:56 PM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Just found out the car was totaled 9 years ago.

Originally Posted by Jumpman86
Hello All,

I am still searching for my SC400 and I have been searching for a few months now.

A few came across and wanted to get some feedback from this community:

1. 1992 with 98k miles, clean carfax and 1 owner, sold by a local used card dealer for $4K - only concern here is that its a 92 and sold by a non franchise dealer.

2. 1998 with 90k miles but has a rebuilt title (was in a accident and was hit on the side but owner claims no frame damage).

From the pictures, the car looks really clean and in pretty good condition. The private seller is asking for $5500 (pretty firm) which is the low range of the kbb value. this is local as well.

3. 1999 with 155k miles and the owner seems to want a pretty penny for it as he thought kbb was way too low. I have to fly to get this car too

4. 1997 with 120k miles, the owner indicated that there is slow oil leak but leaves nothing on the ground. He wants $4k for it but I will also have to travel 300 miles.

Part of me wants to go check out option 2 since its local and seems to be in good shape but the car has a rebuilt title.

My objective to get an SC is really to buy a car which require little to no work (mechanically or cosmetically) and just something fun I can commute with.

What do you guys think about buying a rebuilt title car? I will have it checked out before buying and is fully aware of the resell value.

I don't plan to resell it in the near term and it maybe just a good project car to build on.

Let me know which option you think you would pick and if you have any experience with rebuilt cars.

I know car this old can be totaled easily by the insurance company.

Thanks all in advance.

Ed
Old 03-11-16, 12:03 AM
texan_176
Intermediate

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts

If those #3.

Go with a 98+ to get the DIS ignition, updated body parts, more modern shifter, etc.

For the SC400 you definitely want the better 5 speed transmission on 98+. The upgrades increased both power and fuel economy at the same time.

Walk away from any car with problems because it is a PITA and you never want to buy problems.

Spending a premium is worth it in the long term.

The best SCs I have seen for sale in the last year or so were a 99 SC300 with 22K miles for $14K at a Lexus dealer in Iowa and a 98 SC400 (black with black interior) in the Bay Area for $15.5K with 38K miles. Few newer cars for that money can even come close to the quality and stuff the SC offers. I regret not flying out and buying the one in the Bay Area. It sold within a week at a private smaller dealer.
Old 03-11-16, 04:45 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Thanks for the feedback.
Old 03-11-16, 06:58 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Depending on your price range I would either keep searching for a 98+ or grab that rebuilt title option. Unless you're worried about resale, rebuilt means nothing as long as its been repaired. My first SC was a rebuilt title and never had an issue related to that.
Old 03-11-16, 09:21 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Dude,

I would purchase the '92. A one-owner vehicle means A LOT. I would NEVER purchase a salvage title car; too risky. Regardless, any used car should be inspected for normal wear and hidden accident damage. Trust no one, verify independently.

Have fun

Old 03-11-16, 11:47 AM
INTIMAZY
Instructor

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I personally would go for the 92 or that 97 of the cars you listed. 97+ is a more refined car compared to prior but the 92 is the most mod friendly despite the boat anchor V8.

I would stay away from ANY car that had multiple owners or that was rebuilt to "pass" minimal safety inspection standards. Unless the owner was passionate about his own vehicle, he most likely sent it to a mechanic whose sole purpose in life is to make a profit. Salvage = no-go in my book.
Old 03-11-16, 07:59 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if you're going to do any modding like turbos or so, I would stick with any OBD1 car, or you wont pass emissions from them plugging it in. or register it somewhere else. do your self a saver and get a 2jz, easy to work on.
Old 03-13-16, 07:26 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

I would personally favor the 98 for $5500. Is it rebuilt or salvage title? There is a difference.

I wouldn't buy the 92, however. Lower miles, service records, one owner, all cherry. But you need to keep in mind that the car will still have about 24 years of wear on the rubber/paint/body on it. Especially one that has been sitting with lower mileage. Cars are made to be driven. Granted, this one doesn't have extremely low miles. (about 3800 a year). Just my personal preference.
Old 03-15-16, 12:18 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

Don't be scared of a rebuilt title. Put the car on a lift, inspect it, and if it all checks out, you're good. Insurance companies total out good cars all the time, so as long as the fix was quality, then you're good. If the seller has pics of the damage, then even better.

vvti SC400's are a different animal then the 92-97 cars. 98+ is what you want.
The fact it's local is also great. But $5,500 is a bit steep.

Word of advice, dont haggle over the phone. Check out the car, and then make a reasonable offer.
Old 03-15-16, 02:11 PM
The Ikon
Lexus Champion

Received 25 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
Don't be scared of a rebuilt title. Put the car on a lift, inspect it, and if it all checks out, you're good. Insurance companies total out good cars all the time, so as long as the fix was quality, then you're good. If the seller has pics of the damage, then even better.

vvti SC400's are a different animal then the 92-97 cars. 98+ is what you want.
The fact it's local is also great. But $5,500 is a bit steep.

Word of advice, dont haggle over the phone. Check out the car, and then make a reasonable offer.
Rebuilt titles can not get full coverage insurance!!!! Run from that one unless you get a MONSTER deal and its checked out by a pro mechanic.

That being said I'll get the 92' of its mint as you are claiming or drive a few hours and get the other!
Old 03-16-16, 05:54 PM
uh60griff
Driver School Candidate

Full coverage insurance runs state to state on rebuilt titles. Vehicles total all the time without frame damage and I've repaired multiple vehicle with frame damage that the insurance company didn't total. A reputable body shop can repair just about and accident to pre accident/ factory conditions. Most reputable body shops will look at the car and inspect the repair for little money. You always have the car put on a frame machine and have the targets hung to see if its in factory specs. As long as a vehicle has been rebuilt by a ICAR gold shop I wouldn't hesitate to buy a vehicle with a rebuilt title
Old 03-17-16, 09:56 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Thanks all for the feedback.

I think I am going to pass on the rebuilt title one. I spoke to the seller on the phone and sounded very sketchy. He was talking about the previous owner went to jail or something like that.

In the mean time, another 98 showed up but it has really high mileage (270k) for $2500.

I am tempted to check that out since it is quite inexpensive.

What do you guys think?
Old 03-17-16, 05:11 PM
uh60griff
Driver School Candidate

Maintenance records are key. Personally I don't car about oil change receipts some people do. Look more for water pump, oil pump, timing belt. when were the break done last. I'd offer less unless the interior is mint.
Old 03-17-16, 06:42 PM
liazon
Advanced

Received 39 Likes on 24 Posts
Default sc400

I have have owned two sc400's. One was a dream. The other was just the opposite. Lesson learned! It all comes down to maintenance.

Hold out for a car with records that reflect scheduled maintenance and repairs were completed at a reputable shop. Generally, people who take pride in their stuff keep records. Unless you want to be the once to replace the timing belt, the suspension components, the brake rotors, etc, get receipts showing its been done already.

I personally would never ever buy a rebuilt titled car. Simply too many unknowns.

Finally, I will say this: A well maintained Lexus is a great used car. BUT, and notice how i capitalize, if money is tight, repairs and maintenance on a Lexus, when required, are significantly higher than a Toyota. If It were me with that money I'd consider a 1999-2002 Toyota Solara SLE V6. You get all the bells and whistles including the excellent JBL stereo in a fairly sporty package.
Good Luck in your search. Patience and diligence will pay off.

Quick Reply: Deciding on a few SC400s (1 of which has a rebuilt title)