Search this Thread

Old 02-19-16, 06:22 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Engine hydrolock?

Hi All,

Sorry, need some feedback urgently.

I just checked the service history of a car that I was going to buy. It seems that the car had some issues back in 1997.

This is a 1995 SC300 with 95k miles. Below is what I found and since it was so long ago, I wanted to get some feedback whether to move forward. I will have ppi done as well.

What other potential damages may there be with this type of issue?

*NECESSARY TO R&R TRANSMISSION CLUTCH AND FLYWHEEL. MOTOR STILL WILL NOT TURN OVER 360 DEG.. FURTHER DIAGNOSIS REVEALS ENGINE HAD INGESTED WATER CAUSING THE ENGINE TO HYDROLOCK AND CAUSE POSSIBLY INTERNAL DAMAGES. TO DIAGNOSE FURTHER WOULD NEED TO TEAR DOWN ENGINE FURTHER. THE CUSTOMER HAS ASKED US TO PUT THE VEHICLE BACK TOGETHER AND HAS DECLINED ANY FURTHER REPAIRS

Thanks in advance.
Old 02-19-16, 06:57 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Dude,

If the engine works today, then either the damage from 1997 was repaired or a different engine was installed. As with any unknown engine, it's a very good idea to do a compression/leakdown check to gauge engine health. Any mechanic can do this.

Old 02-19-16, 07:03 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

I am concern with other issues that may come with a flooded car (if the hydrolock was caused by a flood).

I am checking in with the owner and he seems not to know about this since he was not the original owner.

I was doing some research online that there may be a lot of electrical issues that comes with a flooded car if it is indeed flooded.

Thanks for your response.

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

If the engine works today, then either the damage from 1997 was repaired or a different engine was installed. As with any unknown engine, it's a very good idea to do a compression/leakdown check to gauge engine health. Any mechanic can do this.

Old 02-19-16, 07:09 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Jumpman86
I am concern with other issues that may come with a flooded car (if the hydrolock was caused by a flood).

I am checking in with the owner and he seems not to know about this since he was not the original owner.

I was doing some research online that there may be a lot of electrical issues that comes with a flooded car if it is indeed flooded.

Thanks for your response.

Dude,

If the car was in a flood at any time in its life, or if you even suspect it was, walk away.

Old 02-19-16, 07:16 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

if it was that long ago it would of been dead by now. if you dont see rust or theres no problems running then it might be ok.
Old 02-19-16, 07:17 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Thank freakness.

The owner indicates that the car comes with a clean title.

I am wondering if the car was flooded would indicate that on the title.

I also saw that the original declined to have the work done at the dealer and maybe that he never went through insurance to get the car fixed.

QUOTE=freakness;9373063]Dude,

If the car was in a flood at any time in its life, or if you even suspect it was, walk away.

.[/QUOTE]
Old 02-19-16, 07:18 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Dude,

It's possible to hydro lock an engine from a bad head gasket; something to think about.

Old 02-19-16, 07:24 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I agree with mike.. If the car is running now then they either fixed the engine or replaced it. Also he probably didnt go to the dealership because they probably wanted $10000000 to replace it and he probably either had a local shop or friend swap the motors.
Old 02-19-16, 08:44 AM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Thanks all, I think I will move forward with the inspection and see what the mechanic thinks. They should be able to spot a flooded car even it occurred many years ago. I hope that is the case. The title is also clean.7
Old 02-19-16, 08:46 AM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

You can also pull the carpet up and see if there is any rust under there.. depending on how much water it was under and if it got inside the cabin.
Old 02-19-16, 10:21 AM
tptpete
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the car was in a flood to the point it hydrolocked then the car would have rotted out by now....

If the engine was hydrolocked then it was either rebuilt or replaced, as stated already. Check the VIN on the engine and see if it matches or not and then you may have some details.

Floods total cars most of the time, but not always. Has the car been in the same state it's whole life?

Go with your gut. I would think it is fine after all this time if it's running well.
Old 02-19-16, 10:30 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

engine can hydrolock without floods.... the title wont tell you it doesn't always show up.
there is a good chance it was driven into some water at the least though.

maybe see if there was flooding int he area it was in around that time of that record.

but seriously the only way to tell if its a flood car is to inspect it. pull up the trunk floor mats, start poking around and look for rust. if there was water in the car back then it would be totally rusted through in parts by now. check out the front under the radiator support... if you see any rust run away. check the front subframe for the same thing. takes like 30 seconds to see if you look under the front of the car.

dont take someones word for it or a guess, in this situation you have to inspect, if you cant inspect then its safer for you to walk away.
Old 02-19-16, 12:57 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

But wouldnt it also depend on what type of water(salt water/ fresh water) it was for it to be fully rusted??
Old 02-19-16, 01:36 PM
Jumpman86
Rookie

Seller is backing out once he is aware that I have the information and that I will lower the price base on this info. I think it's better to walk away. Thanks all. Time to find another one
Old 02-19-16, 02:09 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

maybe check this one out.. looks pretty clean. good luck with your search.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...75k-miles.html

Quick Reply: Engine hydrolock?