SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

improving/supplementing the side mirrors

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-16, 10:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts
Default improving/supplementing the side mirrors

One aspect of the SC I've yet to get used to after nearly two years is visibility. It's the only car I've ever owned that I didn't quickly adapt to in that respect... My old cars, I could park half an inch from a wall front or back, or the curb to either side. With the SC, I can't tell if I'm within 2' of a car in front of me with how much the hood slopes away, I can't see the trunk/spoiler at all (only the base of the rear windshield is visible), and the side mirrors are so small and aerodynamically tapered, I can either adjust them to see part of the car next to me or park of what I'm parking alongside.

I remember reading a "history of the SC" article that talked about the project leads not allowing the engineers to marginalize the design team's vision, such as with the headlights and side mirrors. This is one area where I think engineers are more intelligent than designers...

So, I've been trying to think of ways to increase visibility. Bigger side mirrors would be nice -- ours are a third to half smaller than most comparably sized cars I've lined them up against -- but good luck tying anything in that looks half decent and retains power controls and heaters. Convex stick on mirrors might help some, but: a) that would partially or fully affect the heaters, depending the amount of coverage, and b) I think the stock mirrors are too small to really benefit. Distortion city.

My next idea was borrowed from race cars, with interior mirrors mounted up high on the a-pillar, usually clamped to a roll cage. I have my Oh S***! handles removed, so I can easily use those mounting points for a small mirror. There are a variety of 3" round and 2"x4" oval motorcycle mirrors, some on multi-direction pivots, that might work. I'm undecided if that'll be big enough. I did a temporary mount of a ~3" hand mirror, but being non-adjustable, all I could see was the carpet... Size-wise, it fits the a-pillar perfectly. Its size wouldn't be much of an improvement, but it could be used at a different angle (i.e., down at the wheels for parking) than the stock mirror (which could then be pointed up more toward the roof line of cars), filling in the gaps.

Going up in size, 5" and 6" round has a number of options, but I fear that might be obnoxiously big. I don't have a passenger seat, so I'm thinking visuals more than ease of access. I'll have to do up a cardboard mock up to see how that would fit.

Does anyone have other suggestions for improving side visibility? The most extreme option would be removing the rearview mirror and sun visors, and installing one of those 4 or 5-angled panel mirrors that you rarely see anymore. I put one of those in my first car and it was the best thing ever. Pretty much eliminates the need for side mirrors.
Old 02-14-16, 02:02 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

I found a few vehicles, such as Acura TL and various Chevy trucks, with a similar looking 3-bolt mounting plate. It's a long shot, but it might be worth taking my spare mirrors to a junk yard and looking for those vehicles to see if the bolt spacing matches, in which case it would be a matter of modifying the trim plate and adapting the wiring.

That sounds like a lot of work, but if it results in a larger and better shaped mirror (the SC's teardrop shape flows with the body lines but tapers down at the worst possible place), retains the heater, and adds mirror turn signals that may or may not be easy to wire in, it could be worth the effort.
Old 02-16-16, 05:17 PM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Humm interesting maybe a later model IS or LS will fit??
Old 02-16-16, 08:13 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXLUIS
Humm interesting maybe a later model IS or LS will fit??
Thanks for the suggestions. A quick search shows IS300 mirrors having a similar 3-bolt pattern (and at least some are heated), so that's definitely worth a look. The LS400 and LS460 are also 3-bolt, but the orientation looks a bit different.
Old 02-16-16, 09:16 PM
LEXLUIS
Driver

Originally Posted by t2d2
Thanks for the suggestions. A quick search shows IS300 mirrors having a similar 3-bolt pattern (and at least some are heated), so that's definitely worth a look. The LS400 and LS460 are also 3-bolt, but the orientation looks a bit different.
I just went into my garage and look at my 14 IS no good did not realized until now they are mounted on the door.

My 06 LS430 compared to my SC 400 are taller and wider but the angle is more pronounced.

Perhaps another newer Toyota mirror I think that while I wait for parts due I will try to swap the and see how they will function. the LS are Taller by an inch and shorter by an inch.
Old 02-16-16, 10:43 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

That would be awesome if you feel like a test fit. Just don't break any panels or clips in the process on my behalf.

The trim plates are unlikely to be an exact match on any of them. The bolt pattern is the main thing I'm curious about at this stage. If a match can be found there, then begins the process of figuring out how to tie them in. I suppose drilling new mounting holes in the door wouldn't be the end of the world, if an otherwise good match were found.

It looks like the LS430 mirrors are a tad more rectangular than the SC mirrors? That's the main thing I've noticed in comparing to other cars. Our's are overly teardrop shaped to compliment the smooth body lines. The height seems to be more important than the width for visibility.

The SC mirrors mount on the door, as well. Is that not what you meant with the IS mirrors?
Old 02-17-16, 05:11 AM
tptpete
Driver

IS mirrors look to be your best bet. It would be cool if they work out that bolt patterns match up.
Old 02-17-16, 05:28 AM
tptpete
Driver

Maybe an SC430 mirror would fit. IS250 guys can switch between model year so maybe it'll work like that with the SC
Old 02-17-16, 06:15 AM
LEXLUIS
Driver

That would be awesome if you feel like a test fit. Just don't break any panels or clips in the process on my behalf.

The trim plates are unlikely to be an exact match on any of them. The bolt pattern is the main thing I'm curious about at this stage. If a match can be found there, then begins the process of figuring out how to tie them in. I suppose drilling new mounting holes in the door wouldn't be the end of the world, if an otherwise good match were found.

It looks like the LS430 mirrors are a tad more rectangular than the SC mirrors? That's the main thing I've noticed in comparing to other cars. Our's are overly teardrop shaped to compliment the smooth body lines. The height seems to be more important than the width for visibility.

The SC mirrors mount on the door, as well. Is that not what you meant with the IS mirrors?
I noticed the base difference too but I have to look into the LS mirror not working anyway. This might take a while. Out of all 3 cars my 14 IS has the most view so recommend look into scion or camry mirror as new as possible
Old 02-17-16, 10:05 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

No rush. I'm still looking at various options and working on other projects. The newer IS250 appear to have a more elongated triangular bolt pattern (the SC is basically an equilateral triangle), but they sound like a winner otherwise.

Some of the Camry mirrors do look to have potential and they're quite inexpensive, although I imagine they wouldn't have heaters. Edit: Actually, at least some of the Camrys do, as evidenced by some '11+ model year discussions.

Last edited by t2d2; 02-17-16 at 03:39 PM.
Old 02-18-16, 08:59 AM
czar07
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Interesting. I find it a lot easier to reverse park the SC than normally park it because of the super long nose.

Ever thought about adding a reversing camera or parking sensors?
Old 02-18-16, 09:24 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by czar07
Interesting. I find it a lot easier to reverse park the SC than normally park it because of the super long nose.
I could see that. Although, I have to guess just as much where the tail is as the nose, since I have even less view of that. I've thought about getting a taller spoiler just to be able to see something back there! The length of the nose wouldn't be so bad if it weren't for the slope. It simply disappears from view and still extends a couple feet still from that point... It's the price of beauty, I suppose.

I hadn't seriously, but that's not a bad idea. Any preferred systems by people? I imagine what you've got available over there differs from options here.
Old 02-18-16, 10:15 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by czar07
I highly recommend the back up camera if your head unit supports the video feature.

Here is mine:

Ryder Mobile CM1-T150B-PR Mini

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 02-18-16 at 10:21 PM.
Old 02-18-16, 10:37 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by FSUsucks1
Here is mine:

Ryder Mobile CM1-T150B-PR Mini
Thanks for the part #. Looks like the name is actually Rydeen?

I have a single-DIN CD player, so I would need to either get a compatible double-DIN or one of the camera kits with a monitor. I was reading the reviews of one of the more popular ones on Amazon earlier today, and a number of people said the monitor and/or sensors died after a couple months. If the cameras are reliable, your route is probably the better way to go.
Old 02-18-16, 10:42 PM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks for the part #. Looks like the name is actually Rydeen?

I have a single-DIN CD player, so I would need to either get a compatible double-DIN or one of the camera kits with a monitor. I was reading the reviews of one of the more popular ones on Amazon earlier today, and a number of people said the monitor and/or sensors died after a couple months. If the cameras are reliable, your route is probably the better way to go.
Yes it's Rydeen. Damn iPhone auto correct!

Quick Reply: improving/supplementing the side mirrors