SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Frozen Idler Pulley & Knock Sensors

Search this Thread

Old 02-03-16, 10:11 AM
Black1UZ
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Frozen Idler Pulley & Knock Sensors

The other day while driving home, the timing belt decided to break. The car is still under 100k miles so it seemed to be a bit of a premature failure. When I started pulling everything apart to replace the belt I stumbled across an oddity. The idler pulley was frozen, which means it suddenly froze while the engine was running. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a bigger problem or should the new pulleys be okay?

Also, I have been getting a check engine light (Codes 52 & 54) but I've replace the Knock Sensors & wiring with all OEM parts. Only seems to trip the light on at higher RPMs. A Lexus Tech gave me some advice, saying that with old timing belts there is a bit of stretch, and that could throw the timing enough to cause a check engine light. Has anyone experienced this?

Will update after I replace the timing belt.
Old 02-03-16, 10:14 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Black1UZ
The other day while driving home, the timing belt decided to break. The car is still under 100k miles so it seemed to be a bit of a premature failure. When I started pulling everything apart to replace the belt I stumbled across an oddity. The idler pulley was frozen, which means it suddenly froze while the engine was running. Has anyone experienced this? Is there a bigger problem or should the new pulleys be okay?

Also, I have been getting a check engine light (Codes 52 & 54) but I've replace the Knock Sensors & wiring with all OEM parts. Only seems to trip the light on at higher RPMs. A Lexus Tech gave me some advice, saying that with old timing belts there is a bit of stretch, and that could throw the timing enough to cause a check engine light. Has anyone experienced this?

Will update after I replace the timing belt.

Dude,

All components wear out with usage AND time. A timing belt has a life-span of around seven years even if it's never been driven for many miles. An idler pulley can develop rust and corrosion issues over time even if it's not used much.

- good luck