SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking for opinions...SC300 and S2000 or TT Supra

Search this Thread

Old 02-01-16, 02:42 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Hey guys,

I'm looking fir some input from those of you who have soem experience with TT Supras.
I currently have a 1997 SC300 manual with very low miles which I really like.

Recently I've gotten the itch to get a TT MK4 Supra for some reason. I know the Supra is definitely an attention-grabber, much faster and sportier looking than the SC, but its also more than 3x the price of an SC like mine.
For that reason, if I bought a supra it would be my only car. I definitely feel bad about getting rid of the SC because I know I'll never find another one like this one.
Another option is to keep the SC and buy a nice S2000 to modify and have fun with.
So, I'm looking for some opinions as to what u think would be the better choice:
1-Sell the SC300 and get a Supra or....
2-Keep the SC300 and buy a fun second car like an S2000.

Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Looking for opinions...SC300 and S2000 or TT Supra-forumrunner_20160201_174025.png  

Last edited by UniqSC; 02-10-16 at 01:19 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 02:49 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Forgot to mention this is my 11th SC and I've also had 6 S2000s over the years. You could say I have a thing for those cars
The only supra I've ever had was a 87 NA Supra but never a MK4.

Last edited by UniqSC; 02-10-16 at 01:20 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 02:52 PM
myLEXsc400
Lexus Test Driver

Received 14 Likes on 10 Posts

if your car is a 1 of 120 car, then I say keep it (being an owner myself). Why not build the SC? I always wanted a mkiv turbo but couldn't afford one.So i bought the sc300 and went na-t over time instead.
Old 02-01-16, 03:00 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Using the Supra as your only car is a bad idea for several reasons:

1. They are 20 year old turbocharged cars, lots of things to go wrong. Especially when you start modifying them and get rid of factory parts, they start to become more finicky. Chances are you are going to buy one that is modified, so you'll be fixing somebody else's problems(usually minor) as well.

2. How much is it going to bug you when somebody opens a door into it? Or sideswipes it in a parking lot? Or just flat out steals it. Or driving it in the rain, etc?

3. What sort of budget do you have? Even assuming you have $30,000 that is kind of the bottom of the Supra market if you want a TT six speed manual.

I'd say the best thing to do with your Supra itch is to shelve it for a few more years. Once a car becomes 25 years old or older, it becomes very easy to import one from Japan. Supra prices will come down, I'm sure ones from Japan will be a lot cheaper.

Read all about how to import a JDM car here.

http://japaneseclassics.com/
Old 02-01-16, 03:03 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by myLEXsc400
if your car is a 1 of 120 car, then I say keep it (being an owner myself). Why not build the SC? I always wanted a mkiv turbo but couldn't afford one.So i bought the sc300 and went na-t over time instead.
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, mine is 1 of 120..which is why I don't want to sell it. I agree, been thinking about going NA-T, but the car is so nice that I feel guilty about doing any major modifications to it which is why I felt compelled to get a lighter and beer handling car like the s2k.
Old 02-01-16, 03:05 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Using the Supra as your only car is a bad idea for several reasons:

1. They are 20 year old turbocharged cars, lots of things to go wrong. Especially when you start modifying them and get rid of factory parts, they start to become more finicky. Chances are you are going to buy one that is modified, so you'll be fixing somebody else's problems(usually minor) as well.

2. How much is it going to bug you when somebody opens a door into it? Or sideswipes it in a parking lot? Or just flat out steals it. Or driving it in the rain, etc?

3. What sort of budget do you have? Even assuming you have $30,000 that is kind of the bottom of the Supra market if you want a TT six speed manual.

I'd say the best thing to do with your Supra itch is to shelve it for a few more years. Once a car becomes 25 years old or older, it becomes very easy to import one from Japan. Supra prices will come down, I'm sure ones from Japan will be a lot cheaper.

Read all about how to import a JDM car here.

http://japaneseclassics.com/
Excellent points! Thanks a lot for the input.
Old 02-01-16, 04:07 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ I agree about waiting for MKIV's to become eligible through Japanese classics.

You obviously like SC's. At this point I don't see a lot of harm in doing something to bring them up to speed so to speak. Even a 1 of 120 97 5-speed so long as you keep the modifications tasteful, clean and thought out. An NA-T setup or engine swap plus a transmission upgrade would do wonders.

A clean Supra TT will run you upwards of $30K-$36K. TT Autos can be had for less. As a daily driver they might be tough to argue for all the reasons listed above. At least until JDM RHD cars become available but even then you will have some limitations from your insurance company in most cases with a RHD import that has some substantial value.

S2000's are very reliable cars. They do consume a small amount of oil by design so be aware of that. Not anywhere near the level of an RX-7 or RX-8 but it's a thing to keep an eye on depending on how you drive. They are tight handlers and momentum cars, not thrust cars. Love their six-speeds.
Old 02-01-16, 04:47 PM
GTX580
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was in the same situation as you are. The only solution is to save money and get both.
Old 02-01-16, 05:39 PM
JasGS350
Pole Position

Received 9 Likes on 6 Posts

I to have owned a S2000 and they're a blast to drive in the curves. I definitely wouldn't sell the SC and save till you find the right Supra to buy. Then you can swap things between cars if you like, wheels etc.
Old 02-01-16, 05:43 PM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Option 3 ?

Buy a Supra and keep the SC300 !

Will USDM MKIVs go down in prices ? I don't believe they will even if JDM MKIVs can be imported. In fact I see quite a few JDMs for sale and I know people importing them and being sold at a lot cheaper prices but not a lot are keen in driving on the wrong side of the car. To get a running JDM MKIV now will be at least $20k out the boat to your doorstep. They will go higher .. why ? Look at it this way , the 6 speed front clips ... are already sold at $15k by the JDM dealers because 6 speeds power / drive trains are getting harder to find. So expect running cars to be harder to find and pricier.

Prices of USDM MKIVs had jumped up at least 50% in the past 8 years for which 9 of them had passed my hands and still have 4 . I browse on every classifieds every day looking for good deals.... getting harder to find one. You get one for a good deal , it is an investment . That is how I see it at least with what I have with my 4 right now , I stand to make good once I get tired playing with them and put them back in the market just like I did with the other five I sold. Used them... played with them for a couple of months or years then sell them when someone was interested.
Old 02-01-16, 06:00 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Lots of really good advice. Thanks guys. I like the way you all think. I will definitely keep the SC300 and hold up for the right supra.
For those of your who are of the market what would you say a nice early TT Auto with less than 100k miles and all stock should be worth today? I'm thinking right around $30k.
I'd love to have a 6m but those are rarer and way more expensive. I can always sell the Auto later on and buy a manual a few years down the line.
Old 02-01-16, 07:37 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

makes me feel lucky to own a 6 speed tt supra under a sc body. maybe one day I'll swap it all over to a Supra body if I ever come across one, but I'm not holding my breath. but all honesty, I prefer the sc because I like the luxury part and it rides great.

Last edited by mikef; 02-01-16 at 07:42 PM.
Old 02-01-16, 08:08 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

2JZGTE swap the SC AND get the S2000. That would be my vote.

Supras are too rare and expensive (no to mention impractical and tiny) to use as an only car. Well all of these three choices suck as a daily driver unless you have no hobbies that require you to haul chit. Cannot imagine having only one daily driver, especially not those choices. Those are all toy cars. I get exhausted driving the SC for just a few hours. Very fun, but not daily driver material.
Old 02-01-16, 08:54 PM
Crusher103
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Sell SC and get S2000+comfortable DD OR keep SC buy a nice DD and start doing a GTE swap on SC. Logical answers.
Old 02-02-16, 06:32 AM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

i guess I failed to mention I don't need a special daily driver, since I only live 2 miles from work. For family, long trips I already have a GX460 which does the job very well.
I think I will go ahead and keep the SC300 as my commuter, and look for a fun weekend car like a 91+ MR2, S2000, or even something like an LS Swapped 240Z.
I might eventually turbo the SC, to make it all it could be, but I'm going to desist from the idea of buying a Supra at this time.
Thanks again for all the feedback.

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions...SC300 and S2000 or TT Supra