SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Looking for opinions...SC300 and S2000 or TT Supra

Search this Thread

Old 02-04-16, 04:18 AM
Reyke
Pit Crew

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

I mean if you just want a supra you can find a good condition non turbo mkiv for around 11-15k, only saying this because you sound like you're ok with compromising getting the auto over the six speed.
Old 02-04-16, 05:30 AM
ems
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I say look older. Find a ol early 70s Datsun 260 or 280 which are underpriced on the market right now. The 240z has risen in price so they are not going cheap. But a good shell and an LS in those is a blast!! and performance parts are around. So for about 6 grand and up you can have a fun head-turning rocketship that will only increase in value as the market follows. or even an older supra thats had some upgrades would be fun, they go for dirt, you could burn tires all day and still not come close to an MK4.
Old 02-04-16, 06:15 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Reyke
I mean if you just want a supra you can find a good condition non turbo mkiv for around 11-15k, only saying this because you sound like you're ok with compromising getting the auto over the six speed.
If you don't mind the words "rebuilt title" there's a red TT Supra on Supra forums for $14k.. It's not perfect but who wants to buy a garage queen and never drive it
Old 02-04-16, 04:27 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Thanks fellas. I almost picked up a nice 240z, but the seller seems to be a dishonest person so I decided to pass. I will keep my eyes open for a cool weekend car.
Old 02-05-16, 02:54 PM
Aswilley
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by UniqSC
Thanks for the feedback. Yes, mine is 1 of 120..which is why I don't want to sell it. I agree, been thinking about going NA-T, but the car is so nice that I feel guilty about doing any major modifications to it which is why I felt compelled to get a lighter and beer handling car like the s2k.
Just my opinion, but throw this idea around..

What if you were to have $30,000 for a supra..

But your SC is near perfect, low miles, and already in the 120 club!!

Why not shelve the supra idea like others have said: and when it comes to modding such a nice SC300, apply that rough $30k to a Boost Logic Build, and have everything done perfect the first time, and only time..

A basic stage 2 GTE swap from them start at $23k I believe and will be absolutely FLAWLESS to match the already flawless car perfectly..

Spend the last little bit on on suspension mods and minor weight reduction stuff to have everything you want.. It's a wolf in sheep clothes, I'll be it, really nice dress clothes, but you get keep the SC, you will have the supra power and performance you always dreamed of, you didn't spend near the amount for a stock 20 year old car, and everyone will still want your car.. including YOU!! there will then be no need for the S2000 because lets face it, you will be enjoying and loving the SC built so much that another petty performance car wont cross your mind for at least 3 years.

Either way keep us posted on the results.. I am sure a bunch of guys and girls on here would jump at a chance to have your SC if you decide to sell it. Including me!!

Best of luck!
Old 02-05-16, 03:45 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^ well said, I agree with him, s2000 are you know... a honda, its nice but not as nice as a supra, strapping in a gte v160 boosting with 30psi, super car status

Last edited by mikef; 02-05-16 at 03:49 PM.
Old 02-06-16, 01:39 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I agree with Aswilley and Mikef's recommendation to keep your SC '97 M/T. It's a nice, rare bird.

Though I have to respectfully disagree very slightly on the note of the S2000. I've driven both early and late versions for the S2K and they really are the standouts of the Honda stable, overshadowed only by the NSX. The S2K is leagues ahead of all other pedestrian Hondas in terms of a driver-focused product even if it isn't that fast by today's standards. Then again, the NSX is leagues ahead of the S2K. Those are the only two Hondas that have really mattered in the sportscar world. But compared to both of those in terms of the drivetrain a built up SC or MKIV is a completely different world of vehicle feel, horsepower and drivetrain methodology.

I'm also not claiming that there aren't equal competitors to the S2K in it's own vehicle category either. I just think it's a good sportscar for what it is.

My choice is still an SC in terms of bang for the buck and bulletproof engineering that has already lasted this long. I love the beautiful MKIV too, though they are only getting rarer and more coveted. When you can do the same thing to an SC I don't see any reason why not to.

V160's are way up in cost now, however, since they've just been discontinued but that doesn't mean there aren't alternatives available now to put down big power.

Edit: In re-reading this I realized my last sentence may possibly be construed as suggesting that there is an alternative transmission to the V160 that will handle ALL the power a V160 can. To be clear, this is not what I was claiming. I was suggesting, specifically, that there are a couple of options for transmissions for reasonably big power. To my butt-dyno, that's anywhere around 500-600-650-700whp (R154, AR5, CD009, *maybe pending R&D* BMW/ZF manuals). I was NOT suggesting that, if someone wants to get to 1,000hp+ and stay reliable, there is some other gearbox that will do what the V160/161 can.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 02-09-16 at 02:53 PM. Reason: Clarifying important note
Old 02-06-16, 06:34 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

hhhhmmmm .... IF you have $30k and you can work on cars or swaps ...

Buy two 2jzgte 6speed swaps from reliable JDM dealers ..- cost $18k

Put one 6speed swap on that rare 1997 5speed . Keep it stock . You raise the value of that 1 of 120 SC to $20-25k at least , with the 6speed 2jzgte .

Buy your project SC $1500-2500 depending on condition and do the other 6 speed swap.

You got another $9500 for miscellaneous while doing the swaps.

At the end of the day , you have brought up the value of your 1997 SC300 5 speed (1 of 120) .... use it sparingly and you got another toy that is a 6 speed ... which you can build as your funds come in.. but it is already a 6 speed 2jzgte too to start with.

that is if you can work on your car and swaps .. if not , it is totally a different scenario because of labor costs. $30k is a lot of money for people who can work on their cars / swaps. Forget about the Supra MKIV not unless you are bent in having one. It is more of a bragging right now to have one. It will cost you a lot of money as you build one... rather , just to start with a stock TT MKIV , you will have to pay with an arm and a leg. Yes you can start with cheaper NA MKIV ... but when the time comes you have to sell it for whatever reasons , you won't get as much as one that is an original TT.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-06-16 at 06:50 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 08:27 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
hhhhmmmm .... IF you have $30k and you can work on cars or swaps ...

Buy two 2jzgte 6speed swaps from reliable JDM dealers ..- cost $18k

Put one 6speed swap on that rare 1997 5speed . Keep it stock . You raise the value of that 1 of 120 SC to $20-25k at least , with the 6speed 2jzgte .

Buy your project SC $1500-2500 depending on condition and do the other 6 speed swap.

You got another $9500 for miscellaneous while doing the swaps.

At the end of the day , you have brought up the value of your 1997 SC300 5 speed (1 of 120) .... use it sparingly and you got another toy that is a 6 speed ... which you can build as your funds come in.. but it is already a 6 speed 2jzgte too to start with.

that is if you can work on your car and swaps .. if not , it is totally a different scenario because of labor costs. $30k is a lot of money for people who can work on their cars / swaps. Forget about the Supra MKIV not unless you are bent in having one. It is more of a bragging right now to have one. It will cost you a lot of money as you build one... rather , just to start with a stock TT MKIV , you will have to pay with an arm and a leg. Yes you can start with cheaper NA MKIV ... but when the time comes you have to sell it for whatever reasons , you won't get as much as one that is an original TT.
Some good points here. So, when you walk into the garage and see 4 Supras, how do you decide which one is going to be driven that day?
Old 02-06-16, 08:35 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by Kris9884
Some good points here. So, when you walk into the garage and see 4 Supras, how do you decide which one is going to be driven that day?
lol ....... "Eeny, meeny, miny, moe ... which car will I use today ? "
Old 02-06-16, 08:41 AM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

the only problem I get worried is used transmissions from japan. if one needs to be rebuilt your up to where a new one cost, I see a new trans on ebay for $8800. I think its worth it for peace of mind. the rest is much cheaper to repair.
Old 02-06-16, 09:36 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Originally Posted by mikef
the only problem I get worried is used transmissions from japan. if one needs to be rebuilt your up to where a new one cost, I see a new trans on ebay for $8800. I think its worth it for peace of mind. the rest is much cheaper to repair.
I would think differently in my case. That is why you have to get the swap as I mentioned from reliable JDM Dealers with engine swaps tested...... leak down and compression.

They will give you at least a month's warranty. If all your ducks are in a row before buying the swaps , as I mentioned installing them as stock , you will be good. It wouldn't take both cars running in two weeks. That is a lot of time if they are worked on at least 8 hours a day. It doesn't take two days to remove old engine , refresh new engine and drop that engine into the bay. Just make sure every thing you need is ready even before you buy the swaps. So if something is wrong with the trans .. get it replaced.

with that $8800 transmission , just to complete the transmission with stock parts , you will be at around $11-12k with a flywheel, stock pressure plate , clutch , shifter , **** , shifter tripod, covers , fork , hub , bearings .... and other small things

I will rather go with the 6 speed swap (engine / trans) for $9k . If ever something is wrong with my trans after lets say a year.... getting it rebuilt would cost you around $3- $3.8k with better oiling system and internals REM ISF micropolished by Jacks Transmission. That for me is a better choice . But unless you abuse the damn transmission and got it running on the first month and transmission is good, that transmission should serve you a long time .... $12k for a new complete stock transmission compared to $5.5 jdm transmission that had been tested before the first month is a no brainer for me.... put that $6.5k aside (what you saved if you didn't get a $12k new transmission ). Getting it rebuilt for $3-3.8k later on which makes it brand new inside is still a lot better. Before you know it, unless you abuse it , you would have saved the $6.5k since the trans might outlive you.

Last edited by gerrb; 02-06-16 at 11:47 AM.
Old 02-06-16, 10:15 AM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

Has anybody swapped in a T-56 Tremec transmission into these cars? They came standard in 93-02 Camaros and Trans Ams with the V8, Dodge Viper had a beefier version that it used for years. Corvette used this transmission as well, but it was mounted at the rear of the car in that application so one from a Vette probably wouldn't work.

Its just ridiculous what the v160 transmission costs now days. Makes you seriously consider a R154 swap as an alternative as well.
Old 02-06-16, 10:37 AM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by Aron9000
Has anybody swapped in a T-56 Tremec transmission into these cars? They came standard in 93-02 Camaros and Trans Ams with the V8, Dodge Viper had a beefier version that it used for years. Corvette used this transmission as well, but it was mounted at the rear of the car in that application so one from a Vette probably wouldn't work.

Its just ridiculous what the v160 transmission costs now days. Makes you seriously consider a R154 swap as an alternative as well.
Yeah T56 has been done many times.
Old 02-06-16, 12:58 PM
Crusher103
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm sorry but a near $9000 transmission in a car that cost around $3000? Yea, about that one.....

Quick Reply: Looking for opinions...SC300 and S2000 or TT Supra