SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

could the SC be one of the sources of inspiration for the LC500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-16, 04:07 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default could the SC be one of the sources of inspiration for the LC500?

This might seem like a crazy idea, but the more I look at the new LC500, the more I find its resemblance to the SC3/400.
I know there are obvious differences and the LC is way more agressive. However it wouldn't be too far fetched to think it's taking some cues from the timeless design found in the SC coupes. I did a little bit of sketching on my phone and I'll let the pics do the talking.
Take a look and let me know what you think.
Thanks.

could the SC be one of the sources of inspiration for the LC500?-20160122_190548.png
Old 01-22-16, 04:19 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I agree, they may or may not have anything to do with each other but you would be dumb to say they don't look at least similar.
Old 01-22-16, 04:47 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I am already saving up my pennies and dimes and am dreaming I might acquire one.

The only disappointment so far is they did not call it the "SC500" which would have been awesome.....

LC500 and later no doubt the LC-F will have to do ......
Old 01-22-16, 05:17 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Undoubtedly it takes inspiration from the 1991-2000 Soarer/SC. The pictures speak for themselves.

Calty also designed the LC500. They designed our generation SC.

Big differences this time come down to the technology used in the body construction. For instance, whereas in 1990 our 100lb specially hinged doors were world class, now Calty and Toyota have managed to lighten the doors considerably by using a mix of steel frame, carbon fiber and aluminum outer shell. There is also a lot of carbon fiber and aluminum in the shell throughout. It is speculated that the LC500 may actually weigh less than the lightest SC's. We will see when specs are revealed.

Other than the price the only thing that kills this for me is the 10-speed automatic. No dual clutch manual for a $100k+ super coupe? Ok...

It makes the annoyance of no three-pedal manual option in the RC lineup even more glaring and annoying. I don't expect Lexus to offer a stick-shift in the LC coupe considering the price point... but no DCT? That's a bit cheap in my opinion.

That aside, it's a stunning car. And I know a turbocharged engine will show up in the inevitable LC-F variant.
Old 01-22-16, 07:01 PM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Undoubtedly it takes inspiration from the 1991-2000 Soarer/SC. The pictures speak for themselves.

Calty also designed the LC500. They designed our generation SC.

Big differences this time come down to the technology used in the body construction. For instance, whereas in 1990 our 100lb specially hinged doors were world class, now Calty and Toyota have managed to lighten the doors considerably by using a mix of steel frame, carbon fiber and aluminum outer shell. There is also a lot of carbon fiber and aluminum in the shell throughout. It is speculated that the LC500 may actually weigh less than the lightest SC's. We will see when specs are revealed.

Other than the price the only thing that kills this for me is the 10-speed automatic. No dual clutch manual for a $100k+ super coupe? Ok...

It makes the annoyance of no three-pedal manual option in the RC lineup even more glaring and annoying. I don't expect Lexus to offer a stick-shift in the LC coupe considering the price point... but no DCT? That's a bit cheap in my opinion.

That aside, it's a stunning car. And I know a turbocharged engine will show up in the inevitable LC-F variant.
Very well said. I agree with your assesment on tranny options (or lack of options). I have a 5 speed sc300 and thr 3 pedals definitely make up for the lack of power (by today's standards). As much as I loved the IS-F I had last year, and regardless of how good the 8 speed auto was, I find my SC to be more fun with the true manual.
Also, I found the 8 gears in the ISF hard to keep track of. I can only imagine how confusing having a 10 speeds tranny will prove to be.

Last edited by UniqSC; 01-22-16 at 07:04 PM.
Old 01-22-16, 07:30 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Unfortunately, Manuel cars are becoming rare. You won't find many new cars doing manual anymore. New tech drives the car for you
Old 01-22-16, 08:28 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
Unfortunately, Manuel cars are becoming rare. You won't find many new cars doing manual anymore. New tech drives the car for you
Most new cars are just high tech appliances these days... difficult to get excited about them.

Tesla is a perfect example. Got a ride in a P85D in insane mode or whatever it is. Is it fast, yes. Is it fun? No. Seriously the weirdest car I've ever been in. Car goes 0-80 in seconds, but you feel so isolated from it all, have to look at speedometer to confirm how fast you're actually going because you don't feel it. There's ZERO character. Feels like those fast elevators inside skyscrapers (with more power) if you want to imagine how Tesla's feel.

On paper they are amazing, and are very refined in almost every single way, but there is something about old-school cars that you do not get with today's technology. Being in full control of everything YOURSELF, and having that raw feel without all the unnecessary gadgets and controls is definitely lost in most of today's cars unfortunately.
Old 01-23-16, 01:02 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

A Manuel Transmission?

Originally Posted by UniqSC
Very well said. I agree with your assesment on tranny options (or lack of options). I have a 5 speed sc300 and thr 3 pedals definitely make up for the lack of power (by today's standards). As much as I loved the IS-F I had last year, and regardless of how good the 8 speed auto was, I find my SC to be more fun with the true manual.
Also, I found the 8 gears in the ISF hard to keep track of. I can only imagine how confusing having a 10 speeds tranny will prove to be.
Thanks, UniqSC. Though I'm well aware I am not the target buyer for the LC500.

You gave up an IS-F for an SC 5-speed? Do you really find it that much more fun? The IS-F is a really nice sport sedan to switch from. And I'd imagine it's a little more practical than an SC.

Regarding the LC500's transmission I just don't understand why a six-figure luxury performance car at the very least doesn't get a dual-clutch automated manual like a Porsche 911 or BMW M6 or Nissan GTR. Other than Mercedes all of the competition for this car (excepting the Corvette and Viper which are... different) offer dual-clutch gearboxes rather than torque convertor autos. I get the cost argument in the less expensive F cars but I don't when it comes to a performance machine in this price bracket.

And of course I'd prefer a manual option in the IS and RC models but even Inifiniti has axed the 6-speed manual for their RWD coupe.

For RWD upscale manual coupes it's pretty much come down to BMW's, the Cadillac ATS 2.0T & ATS-V and the Ford Mustang. And maybe the Chevrolet SS for sedans.

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
Most new cars are just high tech appliances these days... difficult to get excited about them.

Tesla is a perfect example. Got a ride in a P85D in insane mode or whatever it is. Is it fast, yes. Is it fun? No. Seriously the weirdest car I've ever been in. Car goes 0-80 in seconds, but you feel so isolated from it all, have to look at speedometer to confirm how fast you're actually going because you don't feel it. There's ZERO character. Feels like those fast elevators inside skyscrapers (with more power) if you want to imagine how Tesla's feel.

On paper they are amazing, and are very refined in almost every single way, but there is something about old-school cars that you do not get with today's technology. Being in full control of everything YOURSELF, and having that raw feel without all the unnecessary gadgets and controls is definitely lost in most of today's cars unfortunately.
97-SC300, thank you for commenting on your experience with the P85D. I've yet to experience one myself and yet that's the general unspoken impression I've gotten about them: they lack drama and insulate the driver and passengers tremendously. But they can be EXTREMELY fast in a straight line. I don't need a 30's rat rod to feel engaged but I don't get very excited myself about Tesla's approach to a full electric high performance vehicle. It's fine for a normal car I guess if you want the car to do everything for you and insulate you but I just don't understand that myself.

I'm pretty sure there is a more interesting way to make a practical high performance EV that still requires the driver to pay attention to operate the machine.

Back to the LC500, the RC-F's V8 under the hood should be plenty of fun. I just hope the approach to the transmission programming, suspension and differential programming and interior experience isn't about completely insulating the driver/owner.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 01-23-16 at 01:06 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 01:09 AM
jstrummer
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by UniqSC
This might seem like a crazy idea, but the more I look at the new LC500, the more I find its resemblance to the SC3/400.
I know there are obvious differences and the LC is way more agressive. However it wouldn't be too far fetched to think it's taking some cues from the timeless design found in the SC coupes. I did a little bit of sketching on my phone and I'll let the pics do the talking.
Take a look and let me know what you think.
Thanks.

Attachment 378386
Can someone please explain the similarities between the two cars? Wheels don't count, and neither does the Photoshopped "vent" on the side of the SC. Front end, hood, windshield, roof, B pillar, rear window, trunk and rear end lines are different. OK, maybe there's a slight similarity between the two front ends, but other than that........?

Last edited by jstrummer; 01-23-16 at 02:26 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 06:41 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Toyota/Lexus needs to outsource their transmissions to BMW or Mazda for a spell. I don't get how a company can play in the luxury performance coupe market for so long and continually be out of touch with what drivers want.
Old 01-23-16, 07:55 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Originally Posted by 97-SC300
A Manuel Transmission?
KahnBB6 - I love that drawing... hahahaha

It is all about the bottom line, the almighty dollar .... $$$$$$... how many will buy it ? Yes we might complain why they stopped the mighty V160 6speed transmission or they don't produce manual transmission cars ? The performance world enthusiasts is such a small number compared to those who need a daily driver in a city .

Exactly the reason why they stopped production of the Supra MKIV ... sales were miserable compared to the R&D costs they invested on the product. A lot of people say why they stopped this or why don't they make this for this car . But when the opportunity present themselves ... they are same people who will not buy what they were complaining about. Many would like a v160 6 speed transmission ... but would complain about the cost .

It is not only true about the manual transmissions... look around.. you hear people say or complain about this or that or wish about one thing but when the product is there , they are the first one to complain about the price and shun it .

The Supra MKIV or the V160 would have not been in the chopping block if there were people who kept the product afloat and consequently the company afloat. Nobody goes into business to loose money. Nobody will make a product to satisfy a handful and just continually hope that the day dreamers who usually are the most vocal will buy their product. They need to run a business .. pay employees, pay utilities and rent or their financing to start with and most important , reason why they went into business is make money not unless they are a non profit organization . Even then , I see a lot of these self declared non - profit organization operate as such just to avoid paying taxes but truly are there to make money too.

Going back to the topic , INDEED , there are a lot of striking similarities between the two cars .

Last edited by gerrb; 01-23-16 at 08:53 AM.
Old 01-23-16, 09:49 AM
UniqSC
Pit Crew

You gave up an IS-F for an SC 5-speed? Do you really find it that much more fun? The IS-F is a really nice sport sedan to switch from. And I'd imagine it's a little more practical than an SC.
Well i didn't really give up the IS-F for the SC. Although I loved the ISF's motor, sound, suspension, steering feel, practicality and features, I really missed the driving involvement found in a true manual. That's when I went to a Z06 which had great power, sound etc but wasn't unique enough and lacked the build quality found in a Lexus. That's when I found a 47k mile 97 SC3 and bought it. With a few mods this car can be made to handle well, look good be very fast. I loved the IS-F, but I personally like my SC more for what it is.
Old 01-23-16, 11:29 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

one of the similarities someone pointed out was the rear emblem placement and how the trunk line that connects the taillights:

Old 01-23-16, 12:07 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dudes,

I'm unclear about the LC500. At first I thought it was a kind of LFA-lite, especially given the $100k price tag. Then I see it has the same engine as the $65K RC F, the IS F, GS F, and RC F. The interior is similar to the LFA, although a bit more basic. The 10-speed automatic is a mystery to me as it's definitely not 'interesting' in any kind of way. I'm beginning to suspect this is more of the same from Lexus, dressed-up cars, but nothing that amazing underneath.

- Meh
Old 01-23-16, 12:18 PM
Aron9000
Lexus Champion

Received 28 Likes on 27 Posts

I don't get why you all are whining for a dual clutch automatic.

The Corvette uses a torque converter automatic and it cracks off faster shifts than a 911. People have also said how its never in the wrong gear, even on the track.

Quick Reply: could the SC be one of the sources of inspiration for the LC500?