SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

could the SC be one of the sources of inspiration for the LC500?

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-16, 04:26 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb
KahnBB6 - I love that drawing... hahahaha

It is all about the bottom line, the almighty dollar .... $$$$$$... how many will buy it ? Yes we might complain why they stopped the mighty V160 6speed transmission or they don't produce manual transmission cars ? The performance world enthusiasts is such a small number compared to those who need a daily driver in a city .

Exactly the reason why they stopped production of the Supra MKIV ... sales were miserable compared to the R&D costs they invested on the product. A lot of people say why they stopped this or why don't they make this for this car . But when the opportunity present themselves ... they are same people who will not buy what they were complaining about. Many would like a v160 6 speed transmission ... but would complain about the cost .

It is not only true about the manual transmissions... look around.. you hear people say or complain about this or that or wish about one thing but when the product is there , they are the first one to complain about the price and shun it .

The Supra MKIV or the V160 would have not been in the chopping block if there were people who kept the product afloat and consequently the company afloat. Nobody goes into business to loose money. Nobody will make a product to satisfy a handful and just continually hope that the day dreamers who usually are the most vocal will buy their product. They need to run a business .. pay employees, pay utilities and rent or their financing to start with and most important , reason why they went into business is make money not unless they are a non profit organization . Even then , I see a lot of these self declared non - profit organization operate as such just to avoid paying taxes but truly are there to make money too.

Going back to the topic , INDEED , there are a lot of striking similarities between the two cars .
Very well put, it reminds me of the cliché remarks on the for sale threads when people say "If only you were closer I'd buy it today". Then the seller agrees to split shipping and the prospect is never heard from again...

The LC is sick, I could nit-pick too but I'll never buy it with even half that price tag, I really want a GTR...
Old 01-24-16, 06:58 PM
SCFactory
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
I am already saving up my pennies and dimes and am dreaming I might acquire one.

The only disappointment so far is they did not call it the "SC500" which would have been awesome.....

LC500 and later no doubt the LC-F will have to do ......
LOL dude I KNOW, SC500 woulda been sweet, I mean Toyota did it with AE86 and FRS!!! After the RC came out I thought that was "NEW SC" but the LC resembles more than the RC...
Old 01-26-16, 09:59 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

The 3/4 shots also remind me of the lines of the SC430 imo:

The following 2 users liked this post by jadu:
Ilovemysc400 (02-13-24), RadiantX45 (02-24-24)
Old 01-26-16, 10:29 AM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

I could never get excited about the SC430 design. Not a real convertible fan and even though it was a "hard top" roof it was not my cup of tea.

The interior is really cramped and the back seat is an insurance item to avoid the more expensive hit of a 2 seat vehicle.

Later I labeled the SC430 a "chick car" (no offense intended towards that gender) due to the vast majority of the drivers seen in the cars.

Now, the LC500 is yet to be personally examined but the rear seat also appears to be a "token" and looks not to be too functional. Time will tell.....

In any case, we have a year or so to debate this......... Should be fun.....
Old 01-26-16, 12:55 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

I agree with jadu, I see a lot more SC430 than SC300/400 in it.
Old 01-26-16, 09:43 PM
pogoism9
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by jadu
one of the similarities someone pointed out was the rear emblem placement and how the trunk line that connects the taillights:

This. It was the first thing I saw that immediately jumped out as homage to the original.
Old 01-27-16, 08:22 AM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

I think the LC looks ugly to be honest. The only thing I like about the car is the interior. It's kind of unfair to compare it to the LFA, but that's what it was based upon. So many revisions, and you end up with the most watered down model of them all.

The front has that craptacular plastic hour glass grill. What's with all the new Lexus' sporting hour glass grills? Compared to the LFA's regular bumper it's just cheap looking. I hate the plastic grill bumpers.

Then compare the rear... Sure this is a ultra rare race car, but I can't help but think Lexus should have done more to put this in peoples hands the right way. How do you go from this to the LC rear? On the LC the chrome vents hide the exhaust... Show the damn exhaust! Who wants to look at chrome vents around a diffuser when you could be looking at a nice meaty exhaust? And what's with the terrible tail lights? An overabundance of plastic... The tails look like a T.

Not a fan of this car! Glad they didn't name it SC500.
Old 01-27-16, 08:28 AM
Stereorob
Lexus Test Driver

Received 100 Likes on 69 Posts

LC500 share early SC traits? hell yeah it does! it looks like a modern SC300/400 the resemblance is uncanny! I wouldn't be surprised if its renamed the SC500 a few years into its production run to be honest.
Old 01-27-16, 08:41 AM
Ice350
Lexus Fanatic

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

The first reveal at the Detroit show I thought it reminded me of the SC. I am really disappointed its not named the SC500. But I do believe its the evolution of the SC.
In price, size, looks, power and genre.....what else could it be except SC evolved. More than it is LFA devolved. Yes, there is LFA influence but so does all Lexus cars and especially the sportier models.

This is the new SC baby
Old 01-27-16, 09:55 AM
gerrb
Super Moderator

Received 429 Likes on 314 Posts

Looks to me all of them were inspired by the first SC300 / SC400 ... just making it more modern .
Old 01-28-16, 08:02 AM
VOrteneau
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by gerrb

Looks to me all of them were inspired by the first SC300 / SC400 ... just making it more modern .
Looks a lot like it incorporates some elements of both...I just wish the angles weren't so sharp. I'll be happy in a decade when the fashion cycles back around to rounded lights, flares, etc
Old 01-28-16, 08:39 AM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

Lexus clearly aren't trying to make a "driver's car", not with that insane price tag or dumbed-down transmission. Seems like this car will probably end up more of a statement of your wealth, not your driving skill or love for cars, I can predict rappers or kardashian-types will frequent these for a while until the next cheap porsche or lambo shows up. All the while toyota will claim they are trying to drop the "boring" stigma that plagues all of their model lineups. At least they aren't going full-nissan and dropping a new crossover every 5 months (don't even mention the "gripZ", *shudders*), and at least they're still making sports cars. Maybe later on they'll realize there's a demand for cars favor the REAL driver over the run-of-the-mill commuter.
Old 01-28-16, 06:03 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

^^ Probably. I'm sure they'll be all over Beverly Hills in a year.

Though I will say that the automatics Lexus uses today are far better than anything we got during the 90's SC/GS/LS era (though no one has pushed modern Lexus autos to their limits with big horsepower either).

I read an article a year or two ago that mentioned Toyota Motorsports GMBH was rumored to be in early development of at least one DCT. No other info as to what it would go into but I assumed the Supra MKV and possibly LF-LC concept's production version (now "LC500").

I'm withholding judgement until a real independent road test to drive the **** out of the LC500 tells the full story.

Currently they have or will have:

S-FR (future)
GT86/FR-S
Supra (future)
Mark X GRMN (Japan only...)
RC200t/RC350/RC-F
LC500 (near future)

And for 4WD fans they have been making variants of the FJ70 Landcruiser continuously for years (like the Jeep Wrangler) until very recently. Just not for the USA. Also not sure what Toyota's position on WRC rally is right now.

It's not a perfect sportscar/performance car list but it's a pretty good list that's shaping up... albeit with some glaring holes for the US market.
Old 01-28-16, 08:20 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Hate to say it but what do you guys know till you drive one.
Old 01-28-16, 08:47 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Originally Posted by mikef
Hate to say it but what do you guys know till you drive one.
^^ You're not wrong about this. We'll see how it shakes down once it's out.

Quick Reply: could the SC be one of the sources of inspiration for the LC500?