'Streetable' SC300 Makes 9-Second Run at Rocky Mountain Race Week

Search this Thread

Old 01-24-16, 02:14 PM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSc3
Thank you.

Car is currently running Stance drag suspension from MVP Motorsports, TRD Supra auto rear, stock axles. It takes a bit to find the soft enough launch to not break axles( I go through at least 4 a season) but enough that it's not a dog.
That video with the 9.10 pass is a 1.37 60'
Looks like you've got that suspension dialed in pretty well. It certainly gets out of the hole. I don't know if anyone has ever done it on this platform but did you look at switching to some sort of SRA setup for the rear?
Old 01-24-16, 03:48 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by TXMAG
Looks like you've got that suspension dialed in pretty well. It certainly gets out of the hole. I don't know if anyone has ever done it on this platform but did you look at switching to some sort of SRA setup for the rear?
It's pretty good, it still transfers weight a little too quick, bottoms out and unloads. (trying to sort out)

I've thought about it but want to keep the car IRS. I'd love the DSS 9" kit but its out of my budget $$$$
Old 01-25-16, 07:31 AM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

WhiteSc3, thanks for chiming in. I know they are a bit on the heavy side, but only a few more lbs than a Supra as I have both. I guess I was expecting more, but being at altitude must really hurt times and mph more than I thought. Another member went 8.1-8.2 @ 164-165mph with virtually the same set up you have (7675 and 150 shot), but in FL and TX-so much closer than sea level. That thin air really robs the power. Have you thought about taking it to a track closer to sea level to see how it would do? I bet you'd be deep in the 8s. Either way, the car is really well put together.

Steve K.
Old 01-25-16, 01:59 PM
pur4orm
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default nice car

Nice car and good run, considering where u were. This is where ur stochio metrics come into play. It'll run better once u get the equivalent A/F ratio.Good luck n good run.
Old 01-25-16, 03:51 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1A1
WhiteSc3, thanks for chiming in. I know they are a bit on the heavy side, but only a few more lbs than a Supra as I have both. I guess I was expecting more, but being at altitude must really hurt times and mph more than I thought. Another member went 8.1-8.2 @ 164-165mph with virtually the same set up you have (7675 and 150 shot), but in FL and TX-so much closer than sea level. That thin air really robs the power. Have you thought about taking it to a track closer to sea level to see how it would do? I bet you'd be deep in the 8s. Either way, the car is really well put together.

Steve K.
Steve,

My goal for this event was to run my first 8-second pass, that didn't happen! Using an online calculator (Wallace Racing) moving my 9.10 from 6000-sea level moved it to an 8.80 I believe. It wouldn't show higher altitude.

What is the weight of the car running in FL? Also was it cooler temperatures? All of my runs had to be completed by 3pm and they all took place 2nd week in July so it wasn't ideal weather.

The thin air is crazy, Bandimere Speedway is one of the nicest tracks in the nation and everyone that comes up struggles with the air. You should see how many PSCA heads-up guys burn up their trannys trying to get into boost on the line.
Old 01-26-16, 02:12 PM
1A1
Instructor

Received 300 Likes on 207 Posts

Originally Posted by whiteSc3
Steve,

My goal for this event was to run my first 8-second pass, that didn't happen! Using an online calculator (Wallace Racing) moving my 9.10 from 6000-sea level moved it to an 8.80 I believe. It wouldn't show higher altitude.

What is the weight of the car running in FL? Also was it cooler temperatures? All of my runs had to be completed by 3pm and they all took place 2nd week in July so it wasn't ideal weather.

The thin air is crazy, Bandimere Speedway is one of the nicest tracks in the nation and everyone that comes up struggles with the air. You should see how many PSCA heads-up guys burn up their trannys trying to get into boost on the line.
The Supra was around 3800lbs with driver. Temps I am sure were cooler as it was done in the winter/early spring (TX2K14 I believe). It is Geo from Real Street that ran those times, he's a big guy. Very similar set up to yours. I bet it would do better than 8.8 at a good track with good air, that's for sure.

My personal SC300 is a 6766 car with an AFT built Supra TT automatic and TT rear end with TRD LSD. Very similar set up to yours. My goal is to run 9.6 with it this year. Built 10/1 GE motor with an SP F1 header, quick spool valve, BC 272 Cams, and PRO EFI on E85. I am using the GE head because it flows better than the GTE head does. I'm using the ATF trans because I still want over drive since it is a street car. The FTI converter will hopefully do the trick. We'll see. My Supra ran 10.0@137mph way back in 2006 with a similar set up on the stock GTE bottom end and much older technology obvioulsy PTE 67GTQ and a Boostlogic built Auto. It is a 6 speed car now and I just picked up a 6870 for it this month. I can't get enough of these 2JZ motors.

Steve K.
Old 01-26-16, 08:58 PM
whiteSc3
Intermediate

Originally Posted by 1A1
The Supra was around 3800lbs with driver. Temps I am sure were cooler as it was done in the winter/early spring (TX2K14 I believe). It is Geo from Real Street that ran those times, he's a big guy. Very similar set up to yours. I bet it would do better than 8.8 at a good track with good air, that's for sure.

My personal SC300 is a 6766 car with an AFT built Supra TT automatic and TT rear end with TRD LSD. Very similar set up to yours. My goal is to run 9.6 with it this year. Built 10/1 GE motor with an SP F1 header, quick spool valve, BC 272 Cams, and PRO EFI on E85. I am using the GE head because it flows better than the GTE head does. I'm using the ATF trans because I still want over drive since it is a street car. The FTI converter will hopefully do the trick. We'll see. My Supra ran 10.0@137mph way back in 2006 with a similar set up on the stock GTE bottom end and much older technology obvioulsy PTE 67GTQ and a Boostlogic built Auto. It is a 6 speed car now and I just picked up a 6870 for it this month. I can't get enough of these 2JZ motors.

Steve K.
I like Geos' car, it is a beast! Real Street seems to have a great racing program. I believe he always ran the 7685, which I wanted but didn't want to pay the premium for it.(Bigger exhaust housing makes a big difference)
Besides that he has a few things I don't like a 9" and more N20.

Doesn't matter at this point, my motor is out getting freshened up and I bought a bigger turbo after the event that 1320 filmed.

Sounds like you have some fun cars! And I agree 2js are too much fun to quit. After watching that Real Street 240 run 8.0 with a Toyo trans, looks like people have figured out how to throw some crazy **** at them.

You should come race RMRW this July, it;s a great event!

Brett