SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Sikky LS mount

Old 04-24-16, 06:31 AM
emLEX
Pit Crew

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Can't offer an opinion on the Sikky kit, but damn, money wise this isn't anywhere close to "cheap". And sorry, this goes off actual topic.

$1900 for the Sikky kit, add their headers for another $950. You'll need either their headers or custom exhaust work, either way, that's money.

Used 5.3/6.0 Vortecs with accessories/wiring/ecu probably average around $1000 for something without a million miles on them and that's from an automatic truck/SUV, meaning you'll need to buy the T56 separately.

Good T56/flywheel/pressure plate/TO bearing/clutch/pedal/master... probably another $1500-2000, or somewhere around there.

That's roughly $4500-5000 in big parts alone, not taking into account any little gotchas that come up in swaps like this like possibly the intake and accessories from the truck engine not fitting under the SC hood. Maybe you can take your time for good deals on stuff or maybe you get lucky and can reduce these costs...or, maybe you don't care about cost, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for you doing this. I've got an 05 Suburban wih the 5.3 and love it. The LSx is a fantastic motor, light, powerful, reliable, buildable. tunable and in a small, compact package with tons of aftermarket support. I often day dream about all of its possibilities and the random cars I'd love to stuff one into, including my SC400.

If you could find a wrecked parts car for a decent price, you'd probably be a little better off, depending on what it costs. A wrecked Camaro/Vette/GTO with a T56 and smaller/lower profile intake and accessories would be the way to go, in the long run.

Otherwise, sell your 300, buy a 98-00 400, super charge it for about $2-3000 for about 400-450 horse. The 1UZ really is a great engine with very similar attributes as the LSx.
Old 04-24-16, 06:58 AM
Albatross
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by emLEX
Can't offer an opinion on the Sikky kit, but damn, money wise this isn't anywhere close to "cheap". And sorry, this goes off actual topic.
modded oil pan 600
driveshaft 600
oil filter relocation kit 200
mounts 500

knowing it'll all fit: priceless

those prices are about average and cheaper than some places. the oil pan they are offering is fantastic along with the mounts and the lines for the oil filter relocation kit. you get what you pay for.

$1900 for the Sikky kit, add their headers for another $950. You'll need either their headers or custom exhaust work, either way, that's money.
i don't think headers are necessary. look at the stock manifolds.

Used 5.3/6.0 Vortecs with accessories/wiring/ecu probably average around $1000 for something without a million miles on them and that's from an automatic truck/SUV, meaning you'll need to buy the T56 separately.
5.3's with harness and pcm are around 500 all day long. especially if you yank it yourself. 6.0's cost double. the fact that you lump them in together tells me you haven't looked into this much.

Good T56/flywheel/pressure plate/TO bearing/clutch/pedal/master... probably another $1500-2000, or somewhere around there.
t56 prices vary wildly so this is the tricky part. average used t56 will be about 1500 by itself.
brandnew z06 clutch and flywheel about 500
figure in a few hundred for the slave and manual conversion stuff. say 2500 for this part.

That's roughly $4500-5000 in big parts alone, not taking into account any little gotchas that come up in swaps like this like possibly the intake and accessories from the truck engine not fitting under the SC hood. Maybe you can take your time for good deals on stuff or maybe you get lucky and can reduce these costs...or, maybe you don't care about cost, I don't know.

Don't get me wrong, I'm all for you doing this. I've got an 05 Suburban wih the 5.3 and love it. The LSx is a fantastic motor, light, powerful, reliable, buildable. tunable and in a small, compact package with tons of aftermarket support. I often day dream about all of its possibilities and the random cars I'd love to stuff one into, including my SC400.

If you could find a wrecked parts car for a decent price, you'd probably be a little better off, depending on what it costs. A wrecked Camaro/Vette/GTO with a T56 and smaller/lower profile intake and accessories would be the way to go, in the long run.

Otherwise, sell your 300, buy a 98-00 400, super charge it for about $2-3000 for about 400-450 horse. The 1UZ really is a great engine with very similar attributes as the LSx.
say its 6000 or 6500 in the end. what have you got? a lighter engine, better 6spd transmission, better fuel economy, no more need for premium fuel, the car will be faster and (best of all) all of the parts for your new drivetrain are STUPID cheap and if you want to swap in a 6.0 later its plug and play just about.

what got me here is the transmission options. i want a good manual trans and its about the same cost to throw in an entire ls drivetrain as it is to do a manual conversion for the 2j. then you still have more weight on the nose and if you want more power thats just MORE weight on the nose.
Old 07-10-16, 05:52 AM
macna
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Ever start this build? I'm in the valley of decision now. Considering going with the SIKKY kit and a PSI harness. I just don't understand how the fuel and clutch lines mate.
Old 07-11-16, 12:35 PM
matguy
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Albatross
modded oil pan 600
driveshaft 600
oil filter relocation kit 200
mounts 500

knowing it'll all fit: priceless

those prices are about average and cheaper than some places. the oil pan they are offering is fantastic along with the mounts and the lines for the oil filter relocation kit. you get what you pay for.

i don't think headers are necessary. look at the stock manifolds.

5.3's with harness and pcm are around 500 all day long. especially if you yank it yourself. 6.0's cost double. the fact that you lump them in together tells me you haven't looked into this much.

t56 prices vary wildly so this is the tricky part. average used t56 will be about 1500 by itself.
brandnew z06 clutch and flywheel about 500
figure in a few hundred for the slave and manual conversion stuff. say 2500 for this part.

say its 6000 or 6500 in the end. what have you got? a lighter engine, better 6spd transmission, better fuel economy, no more need for premium fuel, the car will be faster and (best of all) all of the parts for your new drivetrain are STUPID cheap and if you want to swap in a 6.0 later its plug and play just about.

what got me here is the transmission options. i want a good manual trans and its about the same cost to throw in an entire ls drivetrain as it is to do a manual conversion for the 2j. then you still have more weight on the nose and if you want more power thats just MORE weight on the nose.
Now, before I say this please understand that I -LOVE- engine swap cars for multiple reasons. One, often better performance for cheaper. Two, just to tick off purists. But, for the $6k or so plus the original donor car, plus whatever labor is valued at you could just get a decent 05/06 GTO.

Yes, it's a different car, but it ticks a lot of the same boxes: 2 door, 4 seat, V8, RWD, independent rear suspension, available with a 6 speed stick.

For me, the attractiveness of an engine swap usually centers around either cheap performance or super sleeper, which the SC isn't exactly a sleeper (it may be slightly surprising, but it's not quite a sleeper.) Yes, putting an LS-whatever in an SC is a decent way to get more power through an SC, it just seems like an expensive way to essentially build an Asian GTO rather than the Australian one.

I mean, I'm all for tossing an LS-whatever in anything that'll take it, it just seems expensive for this car when you compare it to what you can get a decent GTO for. Especially since if I'm feeling lazy I can just take my GTO in to any regular shop for maintenance work.

But, if I'm wrong, please tell me so (mostly because I'd love an LS3 SC with a T56 for a decent price.)
Old 07-12-16, 05:29 PM
millertime
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

2012 Sean Miller SC600 some what stock 2000 chevy silverado pull out,

6.0L LQ4 4L80e, upgraded fuel pump, 150 shot shark fitting in the intake tube.
LS6 intake

super cheap setup.

total with the car! $9000

my car has definately seen a bunch more work but that was 2 years after i built it
Old 07-12-16, 05:38 PM
GZZ-TT
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I still have these chromoly DGR engine mounts w/ T56 trans mount if either of you guys might be interested in building another cheap LSx SC or MKIV