SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

DIY: MY take on how I made 6.5" speakers fit my rear deck

Search this Thread

Old 01-12-16, 12:36 AM
ThatSCguy
Rookie

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post
Default DIY: MY take on how I made 6.5" speakers fit my rear deck

Hi, this is how I tackled mounting a 6.5" speakers in place of my rear 4" speakers. I didn't feel that it was sufficient enough to use bigger washers to hold the speaker down bc if it comes off you have to take everything out again and that rear deck liner is so old it turns into dust after not being fondled with after 20 years.

This is after you've removed everything btw.

DISCLAIMER: This is if you've been tired of no sound coming from your busted rear speakers and decided to go replace them but found a deal for 6.5" 2-way Kickers for only 10$ more and any sound to you coming from the back is considered way better than no sound from the rear speakers. I AM NO EXPERT I REPEAT I AM NO EXPERT WHATSOEVER, I'm just tired of buying new tools and materials for every little thing as much as I enjoy it, my wallet doesn't.

Stuff you need: dremel (hack saw if you have one****), safety goggles, a screw driver or a drill with a screw driver bit, self tapping screws or the ones included with your new speakers, 3M double sided tape

Link at the end of this post on how to remove the speakers.

1. Once you have your 4" speakers removed with its plastic mount remove the 4" speaker there's about 4 screws keeping it on the plastic(very easy to spot). once its just the plastic piece it should look like this

2. As you can see my speaker's mounting tabs are pretty distant from the pre-drilled holes on the car. So what we're gonna do is make it fit onto the plastic mount so it's secure.

If you look at it the speaker tabs are too far for my screws to reach the plastic so we're gonna cut that ring. this is where the dremel w/ cutting ring comes in.

Also where the hacksaw would be convenient, if you have a hacksaw make an initial cut for the saw to follow b/c when you cut with the dremel it melts the plastic so after cuttting everything looks really roughed up. But if you dont have a hacksaw, throw them on the ground facing rough side down and concrete skate until surface is even.

3. Once ring is cut off my kickers were actually sitting a little taller than i expected and it wasn't flush so i cushioned around it w/ 3m double sided tape. ( Now you're probably asking why didn't i just sand it till it contours to the speakers ? well it takes too much time, and I was freezing in the garage. If its not gonna be a finessed job it'll be a crap job. I don't like doing things HALF-way its either full effort or just ***k it and make it work bc I'm sure itll sound way better than before no matter how you put it.)

4. once cushioned, just screw them on all 4 points with equal pressure, I didn't use the tabs b/c they're open on the edge and chances are it'll slip out, my kickers had other holes on its ring if I needed to drill a hole other than that one

Enjoy!
you made 6.5" speakers fit without having to actually fabricate any rings to make it fit

It's a hack job but its working perfectly fine I've had it for about two weeks mounted like this and drive on bumpy roads loud music and it hasn't come losoe or rejected. Just sharing how I did it after realizing it wasn't exactly plug and play with 6.5' speakers. Lol hate me if you must but I thank me for a job that only cost me 50$ + tax which was only for the speakers since i already had the rest of the items used.

Feel free to post how you would've done it or how you did it if we were in similar situations

Here's a link from RSTSpeed's thread that should show you everything you need to know about removing speakers:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/lex...3-400-a-4.html
Old 01-12-16, 07:00 AM
FSUsucks1
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Definitely easier than fabricating some rings. Good work.

I went with having some rings fabricated. But I ended up going with 5 1/4" Alpine SPR-50 in the rear deck.

Last edited by FSUsucks1; 01-12-16 at 07:09 AM.
Old 01-12-16, 08:51 AM
ThatSCguy
Rookie

Looks better than oem !
Old 01-12-16, 09:21 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 237 Likes on 215 Posts

Originally Posted by ThatSCguy
I didn't feel that it was sufficient enough to use bigger washers to hold the speaker down bc if it comes off you have to take everything out again...
I was going to say, there's no way the washers could come loose without the bolts inexplicably backing themselves out, but then I saw your pics... The speakers you went with have a very high mounting point (for less mounting depth, I suppose), unlike mine which are a flat ear that's basically flush with the parcel shelf.

If I were you, I would have made some matched-height sleeves for the bolts and then put the washers over the top of that. Much less work than all the cutting.
Old 01-12-16, 01:20 PM
ThatSCguy
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
I was going to say, there's no way the washers could come loose without the bolts inexplicably backing themselves out, but then I saw your pics... The speakers you went with have a very high mounting point (for less mounting depth, I suppose), unlike mine which are a flat ear that's basically flush with the parcel shelf.

If I were you, I would have made some matched-height sleeves for the bolts and then put the washers over the top of that. Much less work than all the cutting.
I agree, that's actually a great route to go with. Future members looking into this will have a variety of choices, thanks for your input!