SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

ECU capacitors leaking 89661-24313

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-15, 06:22 AM
Firemr2
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default ECU capacitors leaking 89661-24313

Are there any other ECU that are compatible with this ECU I have done some research but can't seem to find a answer if i can use another ECU from another year sc300 or any of these ecu listed below that seem a little more common then the one I have.

Also I notice that this ecu is the only one that has a number and letter badged next to the part number, anyone have info on this please let me know.

The first thing I notice when I opened it up

3J? I have seen every other ecu with just numbers, not number letter combination.

Also the 2 smaller capacitors in the top left appear to be leaking
Old 12-16-15, 10:45 AM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 88 Likes on 70 Posts

All the info you'll need can be found here: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/ls-...capacitor.html
Old 12-16-15, 10:57 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Dude,

Send that ECU to Tanin Auto. They will repair it and your ECU will be good as new. Purchasing another used ECU runs the risk of having the same capacitor issues either now or soon.

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/1...ecu_repair.htm

Old 12-18-15, 11:03 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,216 Likes on 854 Posts

Firemr2,

Here also is an incomplete list of verified SC300 ECU's you can use as a reference. You appear to have a more common ECU: 1995 SC300 A/T with Federal Emissions (non-California). Correct?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-by-year.html

You should be able to find one of these on ebay without much trouble.

However, Jadu and Freakness told you right: Tanin Auto Electronix can save your ECU. You can have the capacitors replaced and the "driver" electronics in that control the fuel injectors replaced as well. Many of these ECUs are beginning to show these issues by now but they need very specific capacitors for repair.

Pack it carefully and send it out to them. However, DO NOT use USPS Overnight Service and especially DO NOT use FedEx Overnight service for either the sending out or return journey of your ECU. Regular non-overnight Fedex shipping options are fine. Tanin is great and the folks there will take care of you...... but FedEx Overnight Service can have serious delivery issues.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-18-15 at 11:08 PM.
Old 12-19-15, 03:35 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Tanin is the way to go. Jason will take good care of you!!!!

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/V...air-s/1892.htm
Old 12-19-15, 05:39 PM
RXRodger
Instructor

Received 202 Likes on 157 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Pack it carefully and send it out to them. However, DO NOT use USPS Overnight Service and especially DO NOT use FedEx Overnight service for either the sending out or return journey of your ECU. Regular non-overnight Fedex shipping options are fine. Tanin is great and the folks there will take care of you...... but FedEx Overnight Service can have serious delivery issues.
Kahn is right, I sent my ECU to Driftmotion by USPS 2nd day priority, it took 14 days to get there. Never again will I use that service (I mean the Post Office, not talking about Driftmotion).

I sent it there without a lot of research on here, saw all the discussion about injector drivers after I had already sent it where I did. Wish I had seen that beforehand. But, hopefully DM does a good job, haven't gotten it back yet but everything I have done with them in the past has turned out good so far. I sent my climate control and cluster to Tannin (by UPS this time), turned around quick and worked great. Good folks to deal with.

Last edited by RXRodger; 12-19-15 at 05:42 PM.
Old 12-19-15, 08:36 PM
KahnBB6

^^Yes.

I've had nothing but good experience with the folks at Tanin. Jason, Jordan and Melissa and Jen. All fantastic and thorough folks.

And I have yet to use Driftmotion's ECU repair service but I've had all good experiences with Aaron at Driftmotion. They've also rebuilt a rear differential for me in the past and I was and still am totally happy.

Both are great companies in the Lexus, Supra and general xJZ 1UZ and even 7M communities.

But the shipping services... those I'd be careful of. For something as critical as an ECU I would NOT use any "overnight" service. Maybe not even a "2-Day" service but especially I'd be wary of, at least, USPS Overnight and FedEx Overnight. And Gerrb spoke to me about my recent experience with Fedex Overnight (they outright lost my ECU by delivering to a random address in another state) and recommended to me for the future that the option "adult signature upon delivery" should be standard for something like this... just to be safe.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-19-15 at 08:40 PM.
Old 12-21-15, 04:18 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Received 109 Likes on 80 Posts

Originally Posted by Duck05
Tanin is the way to go. Jason will take good care of you!!!!

http://www.taninautoelectronix.com/V...air-s/1892.htm
Thanks for the shout out~ Glad we could help you out!
www.taninautoelectronix.com

Old 12-21-15, 04:22 PM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

^^Yes.

I've had nothing but good experience with the folks at Tanin. Jason, Jordan and Melissa and Jen. All fantastic and thorough folks.

And I have yet to use Driftmotion's ECU repair service but I've had all good experiences with Aaron at Driftmotion. They've also rebuilt a rear differential for me in the past and I was and still am totally happy.

Both are great companies in the Lexus, Supra and general xJZ 1UZ and even 7M communities.

But the shipping services... those I'd be careful of. For something as critical as an ECU I would NOT use any "overnight" service. Maybe not even a "2-Day" service but especially I'd be wary of, at least, USPS Overnight and FedEx Overnight. And Gerrb spoke to me about my recent experience with Fedex Overnight (they outright lost my ECU by delivering to a random address in another state) and recommended to me for the future that the option "adult signature upon delivery" should be standard for something like this... just to be safe.
Thank you for the love! We know Fedex knows their error on this one. We make phone calls daily to hunt for it. Hope it turns up soon!

Old 12-22-15, 11:17 PM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Thank you for the love! We know Fedex knows their error on this one. We make phone calls daily to hunt for it. Hope it turns up soon!
Happy to! Yes, the last person in Fedex's Trace Dept whom I spoke to the other day seemed to have a different attitude than everyone else prior. Perhaps she'd already been on it and I just hadn't gotten her on the other end until then.

Thank you for checking in with them! I hope it shows up too.

Happy Holidays, guys!
Old 12-23-15, 05:28 AM
TaninAuto
Sponsor

Happy to! Yes, the last person in Fedex's Trace Dept whom I spoke to the other day seemed to have a different attitude than everyone else prior. Perhaps she'd already been on it and I just hadn't gotten her on the other end until then.

Thank you for checking in with them! I hope it shows up too.

Happy Holidays, guys!
Sounds to us like Fedex KNOWS they delivered there and messed up. Keep us posted on how this all goes. It is definitely unlike their normal service so we think it was a different driver than normal too.

Old 12-24-15, 01:05 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by TaninAuto
Sounds to us like Fedex KNOWS they delivered there and messed up. Keep us posted on how this all goes. It is definitely unlike their normal service so we think it was a different driver than normal too.
Tanin,

I'm just now seeing this. Taking my reply to PM.
Old 01-10-16, 09:44 PM
lextout
Racer

Received 47 Likes on 45 Posts

Firemr2,

Here also is an incomplete list of verified SC300 ECU's you can use as a reference. You appear to have a more common ECU: 1995 SC300 A/T with Federal Emissions (non-California). Correct?

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/per...s-by-year.html

You should be able to find one of these on ebay without much trouble.

However, Jadu and Freakness told you right: Tanin Auto Electronix can save your ECU. You can have the capacitors replaced and the "driver" electronics in that control the fuel injectors replaced as well. Many of these ECUs are beginning to show these issues by now but they need very specific capacitors for repair.

Good stuff! thanks for sharing.