SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Parallel ECU's - 1JZ VVTi and 1UZ

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-15, 08:56 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts
Default Parallel ECU's - 1JZ VVTi and 1UZ

As the title stated. I've done some looking around and seems this is a common answer to running a stand alone and the stock ECU for everything non-motor related. I'm trying to figure out all of the wiring of the JZX100 into my SC400 and thought to maybe run the 1UZ ECU for the body plugs and interior/dash stuff and the 1JZ ECU for the motor. I'm sure it's not just that easy or everyone would do it but short of splitting wires and running power/grounds etc, what else could there be?

Cool thing is if I totally screw up I'll just fall back on the $1200+ plug and play Tweak harness :/..
Old 12-11-15, 06:07 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Well I'm going to go ahead with it and see what happens unless I can find an English version of the JZX100 wiring. Unless I hear from anyone else I'll just keep this updated as I make progress.
Old 12-11-15, 08:26 AM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

hey man i put a jzx100 in my sc400, did i share the wiring diagram with you? the 1UZ ecu wont have much to do with the body plugs while running a 1jz, you are making a bigger mess if you try to have two ECUs.
Old 12-11-15, 09:35 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by estomax
hey man i put a jzx100 in my sc400, did i share the wiring diagram with you? the 1UZ ecu wont have much to do with the body plugs while running a 1jz, you are making a bigger mess if you try to have two ECUs.
Oh was it you I was talking to about the diagrams and wiring? My bad if I never got back to you, the holidays and work have been a mess.

Yeah, I figured it would make more of a mess than anything but I just cant find anything about it on the JZX forums or here. Those guys are totally hit or miss since I'm American, they hate us lol. My email is kris9884 at gmail dot com.. Anything you have that you could send me I would really appreciate!!!
Old 12-11-15, 09:37 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

If you want to mess with dual ECUs, just go this route...

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15932
http://www.lextreme.com/V12.html

Put one V12 in the SC and the other V12 in the Miata. Win-win!
Old 12-11-15, 10:47 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by t2d2
If you want to mess with dual ECUs, just go this route...

http://www.lextreme.com/forums/showthread.php?t=15932
http://www.lextreme.com/V12.html

Put one V12 in the SC and the other V12 in the Miata. Win-win!
HAHA my buddy who is even a bigger Toyota fanatic than me always brings up ways to be different. He thought about that motor in his Miata with just intake and exhaust for like 350 HP but they are nearly impossible to find at a reasonable price. He's grabbing a BEAMS Altezza motor instead, with a 6 speed they are like 1200 shipped all day.

But anyway, I would gladly settle for some wiring diagrams of the body side of the ECU lol..

Edit: How did you know I had a Miata?
Old 12-11-15, 12:28 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

~$6k for two V12's sounds like a pretty good price to me... My head is spinning at the thought of 400 ft-lbs of torque @ 1000 RPM in a 2000 lb car. The crazy thing, and the reason I mentioned it, is I think it might actually be doable by someone with crazy fabrication skills. The 1UZ fits, and the V12 is a little bit narrower and only 12 cm longer, so the potential is there to shoehorn it in.

You mentioned the Miata a couple times, most recently I think something about a turbo project so the SC was losing its garage space?
Old 12-12-15, 06:06 AM
Kris9884
Racer

^^ Ahh that's right, yeah its an on going thing, it's a turd with tons of rust.
Old 12-14-15, 03:50 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

dude. the only thing the ecu controls is a/c coming on, which should wire up the same as stock( a/c to a/c, acmg to acmg) and work (jzx90 does), and the fuel pump ecu. Swap cluster's or main tach board with an sc300, bypass the tach resistor, and get an EWD for your car as sc300 wires up different than sc400 slightly, enough to make it not work, so make sure you work off of sc400 diagramsl

IF you're really doing a 1.5jz, better get an aftermarket manifold and turbo.
Old 12-14-15, 03:54 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

tweaked sucks, can't say it enough. Maybe they've gotten better, but there are folks who do a better job at a better price and didn't build their business doing work that they didn't fully understand.

search obeewon tweaked on here, probably one of the best examples of how bad cam sucks
Old 12-14-15, 12:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

just use the JZ ecu, its all in how you do the harness, should be mostly a rewire of the body plugs which you can borrow from the sc400 harness. will have to extend the 1j harness as well.

either that or start with a 2jzge harness which has the right body plugs, strip down the missing stuff from the 1jz vvti harness (coilpack wiring and vvti wiring and any other little bits), extend it and merge the 2 together, but this is theoretically speaking I have not done it.
Old 12-16-15, 10:38 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by Vrank
dude. the only thing the ecu controls is a/c coming on, which should wire up the same as stock( a/c to a/c, acmg to acmg) and work (jzx90 does), and the fuel pump ecu. Swap cluster's or main tach board with an sc300, bypass the tach resistor, and get an EWD for your car as sc300 wires up different than sc400 slightly, enough to make it not work, so make sure you work off of sc400 diagramsl

IF you're really doing a 1.5jz, better get an aftermarket manifold and turbo.
Originally Posted by Vrank
tweaked sucks, can't say it enough. Maybe they've gotten better, but there are folks who do a better job at a better price and didn't build their business doing work that they didn't fully understand.

search obeewon tweaked on here, probably one of the best examples of how bad cam sucks
Can you recommend anyone to make it? I'm willing to pay for a perfect plug and play harness but not $1200 lol. Give me a volt meter and some patience and I can do it myself for that.

I just have the 1J VVTi and am keeping the CT15b turbo for now, I'm busy sourcing the manual swap for this Spring/Summer. The 2J block will be getting refreshed for E85 on a BW S366.

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
just use the JZ ecu, its all in how you do the harness, should be mostly a rewire of the body plugs which you can borrow from the sc400 harness. will have to extend the 1j harness as well.

either that or start with a 2jzge harness which has the right body plugs, strip down the missing stuff from the 1jz vvti harness (coilpack wiring and vvti wiring and any other little bits), extend it and merge the 2 together, but this is theoretically speaking I have not done it.
Yeah I still like the idea of merging the SC400 harness to the JZX100 and just extending it. The hard part is the JZX ECU pinout, has 4 plugs, 2 for engine and 2 for body. I cant find any diagrams of the body side BUT, the JZX90 ECU plugs look exactly the same so maybe I can find a 1JZGTE diagram and compare the wiring colors etc. It would be killer if they were the same more or less. For the record, I'm keeping my full factory interior, most guys just say strip it and forget it, that's not my style.

Thanks for any input guys.

Last edited by Kris9884; 12-16-15 at 10:45 AM.
Old 12-16-15, 12:06 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

yeah you have the right idea its just the body plugs that need the sorting out, you shouldn't be running dual ecu's unless you are trying to keep obd2 working, and even then you would probably want to use a sc300 ecu because you can't fool a 1uz ecu with a 2jz engine very easily, but you can fool a 2jz ecu with a 1/2Jz engine with a bunch of redundant wiring, and the only reason is to have a working obd2 port.

If you dont need that then you just need to get the 1jz harness working with the body plugs or as I said the other option if you are using a manual trans is to use the ge harness and add the coilpack and other stuff. its a fair amount of wiring no matter which way you go.
Old 12-16-15, 02:59 PM
estomax
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

here is my diagram i built off of one that someone else published for an sc300 a while back, reference it for your sc400. you will definately need the FSM also.

sc400 to chaser JZX100 reference.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7r...ew?usp=sharing

Last edited by estomax; 12-16-15 at 03:05 PM.
Old 12-16-15, 03:39 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
yeah you have the right idea its just the body plugs that need the sorting out, you shouldn't be running dual ecu's unless you are trying to keep obd2 working, and even then you would probably want to use a sc300 ecu because you can't fool a 1uz ecu with a 2jz engine very easily, but you can fool a 2jz ecu with a 1/2Jz engine with a bunch of redundant wiring, and the only reason is to have a working obd2 port.

If you dont need that then you just need to get the 1jz harness working with the body plugs or as I said the other option if you are using a manual trans is to use the ge harness and add the coilpack and other stuff. its a fair amount of wiring no matter which way you go.
Well emissions isn't a factor in my area so I don't care at all about OBD2 and inspections but the VVTi motor is OBD2 isn't it? or wait, there aren't emissions over there, I don't remember. Anyway, I'll still have a semi-friendly exhaust for you tree huggers . And are you saying a 2JZGE harness will plug up with most of the 1J engine or just that it would be easier to wire? If that's the case then yeah, I would just need to de pin the plugs on the 1J harness, and run them to their obvious homes on the 2J harness, at least that way I wouldn't have to extend it and the body plugs are plug/play, hmmm. Like you said, there's gonna be some sore and burnt fingers either way.

Originally Posted by estomax
here is my diagram i built off of one that someone else published for an sc300 a while back, reference it for your sc400. you will definately need the FSM also.

sc400 to chaser JZX100 reference.
https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B7r...ew?usp=sharing
Awesome man, anything helps but I have always thought the sc300 body plugs are not the same as the 400, are they not?

Edit: the link is broken

Last edited by Kris9884; 12-16-15 at 03:46 PM.

Quick Reply: Parallel ECU's - 1JZ VVTi and 1UZ