SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Who repairs 12discs Changers? Found a great guy who rebuilds original speakers

Search this Thread

Old 12-01-15, 04:32 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts
Default Who repairs 12discs Changers? Found a great guy who rebuilds original speakers

Hello Fellow Enthusiasts

Want to start of by saying a huge thanks to Club Lexus! I was ready for my fourth SC and as a direct result of studying the threads of this site I decided it had to be a 98-00 SC400.

I found a showroom condition 98 that was always garaged and had every service record...Truly amazing condition..

It has Nakamichi and the speakers were blown. Once again reading the threads on this site lead me to have the originals rebuilt. And threads showed me step by step how to remove the speakers in the cabin..

System sounds great but the 12 disc is not functioning..The CD's go in, it registers on the radio then I get an error code..

Any advice would be greatly appreciate..

Also, the repair shop that fixed my speakers did a great job and only charged $250 for all 5

Old 12-01-15, 05:43 PM
Organized Garage Status
Former Sponsor

Received 55 Likes on 43 Posts

That's a great find! To be honest, you can easily find a working one for cheap in the classifieds, or a local junk yard. Just make sure the CD's you try to use are just regular audio CD's, not rewritable or MP3.
Old 12-01-15, 06:22 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Originally Posted by Organized Garage Status
That's a great find! To be honest, you can easily find a working one for cheap in the classifieds, or a local junk yard. Just make sure the CD's you try to use are just regular audio CD's, not rewritable or MP3.
Thanks for the feedback..I will start looking through the classified adds. Thanks also for the compliment. I am an enthusiast and all my friends just look at my SC as some older used Lexus. They have no idea how awesome these cars are

Cheers
Old 12-02-15, 04:24 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by ahero4all
Thanks for the feedback..I will start looking through the classified adds. Thanks also for the compliment. I am an enthusiast and all my friends just look at my SC as some older used Lexus. They have no idea how awesome these cars are

Cheers
They will "get it" in 2035 when it is still running and they have been through 4 cars and even Keith Richards has passed on.....
Old 12-02-15, 11:21 AM
ahero4all
Driver

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
They will "get it" in 2035 when it is still running and they have been through 4 cars and even Keith Richards has passed on.....
I agree that one day those other people who do not know better will look back and understand the true meaning of the Relentless Pursuit of Perfection. however I disagree with you, Keith Richards will never die!
Old 12-02-15, 03:16 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

Welcome to the family, great to see another 98+ SC400 owner, not many of us are here.
Old 12-02-15, 08:49 PM
duster
Pit Crew

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

That is so clean. Welcome from a recent '98 SC owner and longtime '98 GS owner.
Old 12-02-15, 10:39 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Default Thanks for the warm Welcome

This 98 is my 4th SC

My 1st was a 1992 Burgundy SC 300 Automatic which I quickly traded for a
1993 Pearl White and Black SC300 5 Speed...Wish I had never sold that car! Especially once I learned it was 1 of only a few hundred produced..

My 3rd was a 95 Black and Tan SC400 and at that time the 98 models had just came out and I promised myself one day I would buy one..

Well, that day came and I love this car..I Feel so lucky to have it..I purchased it from a Gentlemen who was in his late 70's who always garaged it and kept every service record..Truly looks as close to show room for a car of it's age and miles..

I have spent the last year brining all the maintenance up to date...I am looking forward to sharing my enthusiasm on this site..

Replaced the water pump, timing belt, tensioners, gaskets, seals, radiator, valve covers and sparks plugs with MKG..runs like new!

The tire and tools have never been used or removed! even came with the original First Aide Kit

Came with Receipts of oil changes every 3k miles...took this pic when I replace the valve covers..Clean!

Last edited by ahero4all; 12-02-15 at 10:41 PM. Reason: forgot to put year of the Pearl white SC 300
Old 12-02-15, 10:46 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
Welcome to the family, great to see another 98+ SC400 owner, not many of us are here.
I was at the Lexus Dealer today getting a part and talked with a Manager who had worked with the dealer since the mid 90's..I asked him what it was like to have them on the floor, he said it was great for the salespeople lucky enough to sell one because the dealer offered NO discounts off the Sticker...He also mention that Lexus only allocated a couple to each store
Old 12-03-15, 05:13 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 66 Likes on 42 Posts

I was at the Lexus Dealer today getting a part and talked with a Manager who had worked with the dealer since the mid 90's..I asked him what it was like to have them on the floor, he said it was great for the salespeople lucky enough to sell one because the dealer offered NO discounts off the Sticker...He also mention that Lexus only allocated a couple to each store
I can imagine, the last of the SCs... What an interesting time it must be to physically be there, to see the new 98 model which was seen never before.
Old 12-04-15, 07:04 PM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Unsure if the changer out of my 95 with base pioneer stereo is the same but you're more than welcome to it if it is- pay postage and it's yours...
Old 12-05-15, 12:00 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Default appreciate the gernerous offer, thanks!

Originally Posted by Turbo5upra
Unsure if the changer out of my 95 with base pioneer stereo is the same but you're more than welcome to it if it is- pay postage and it's yours...
I am making the assumption the disc changers are all the same. regardless of the type of deck .I would happily accept your offer..I can send you some $ or however this will work best..

Thanks again., Yesterday, I had my front brakes replaced yesterday and learned my front control arm needs to be replaced. I just invested about $3000 in maintenances..

Cheers!
Old 12-05-15, 04:41 PM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

I am making the assumption the disc changers are all the same. regardless of the type of deck .I would happily accept your offer..I can send you some $ or however this will work best..

Thanks again., Yesterday, I had my front brakes replaced yesterday and learned my front control arm needs to be replaced. I just invested about $3000 in maintenances..

Cheers!
Ouch- I did 3/4's of my suspension and brakes for 2/3's of that price. I'm going to be in the garage working on the car tomorrow and I'll figure out where it's off to and be in touch.
Old 12-05-15, 07:39 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Originally Posted by Turbo5upra
Ouch- I did 3/4's of my suspension and brakes for 2/3's of that price. I'm going to be in the garage working on the car tomorrow and I'll figure out where it's off to and be in touch.
to clarify my statement, I just spent the $3k on the Water Pump Timing belt radiator valve cover tune up etc..not the suspension

Found a lower control arm on Rock Auto for $65.00..
Old 12-09-15, 07:58 AM
Turbo5upra
Driver School Candidate

to clarify my statement, I just spent the $3k on the Water Pump Timing belt radiator valve cover tune up etc..not the suspension

Found a lower control arm on Rock Auto for $65.00..
I haven't forgotten about you- just haven't been in the garage yet to find it.

Quick Reply: Who repairs 12discs Changers? Found a great guy who rebuilds original speakers