SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

After Some Info On My Headunit.

Search this Thread

Old 11-30-15, 08:38 PM
MrChemical
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default After Some Info On My Headunit.

Iv been doing a lot of looking around and people seem to either have 1 of 2 types of factory head unit , then there's mine , it looks like its from factory yet i cant find out anything about it (ill chuck a picture down below of it)

What I'm trying to do is replace it with an aftermarket head unit so i can gain some features like usb and aux connectivity , also i think its partially broken and needs replacing anyway.Any info like how hard it would be to find a harness for wiring or even just the model of the unit so i can look stuff up myself would be very helpful.

Old 11-30-15, 10:27 PM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

EMV (Electro Multi Vision) standard in the UZZ31 Soarer.

Follow this tutorial to undertake the non-EMV conversion: http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1242566551

While you are at it register yourself on Soarer Central as well in the link above. SC is an Australian based forum that will help assist with any Soarer related issues such as this.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 12-01-15, 01:52 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

You do not see people post about those Soarer factory head units very often. Love how the climate control is integrated.
Old 12-01-15, 02:03 AM
MrChemical
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Mike1JZ
EMV (Electro Multi Vision) standard in the UZZ31 Soarer.

Follow this tutorial to undertake the non-EMV conversion: http://soarercentral.com/sc-forum/me...tml?1242566551

While you are at it register yourself on Soarer Central as well in the link above. SC is an Australian based forum that will help assist with any Soarer related issues such as this.

Cheers,
Mike
To be honest I do love it even if its a bit odd , I was trying to see if I could just change out the bottom half where to cassette player is to an aftermarket head unit. Would that be possible or are they way to integrated and need to be fully converted to be possible like above ^^^
Old 12-01-15, 10:19 AM
Photon440
Intermediate

Received 15 Likes on 12 Posts

I was always mystified as to why they combined both English text and Japanese characters in the same car.

In your case, I would leave the screen and look for a single din stereo replacement to fit below in the cassette section.
Old 12-08-15, 06:45 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If I was lucky enough to have an EMV in my ride I'd do everything possible to get it working.

+1 for soarercentral.
Old 12-09-15, 05:12 AM
MrChemical
Driver School Candidate

Well there was a development I went to a local car parts place and picked up a wire harness kit seems to only need to connect a wire or two from the previous owners "handy work"
http://imgur.com/VzbLWIv
http://imgur.com/FHETLjF
Also to help some people in future this was very handy
http://www.installdr.com/harnesses/toyota-wiring.pdf
Old 12-09-15, 09:29 PM
ahero4all
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
You do not see people post about those Soarer factory head units very often. Love how the climate control is integrated.
Right! I had to do a double take when I first saw the picture. I am going to start searching for one. I've owned SC's since 1995, would like to change up the appearance of the dash..SEARCH ON!
Old 12-10-15, 12:11 AM
Mike1JZ
Pole Position

Received 20 Likes on 17 Posts

Originally Posted by MrChemical
To be honest I do love it even if its a bit odd , I was trying to see if I could just change out the bottom half where to cassette player is to an aftermarket head unit. Would that be possible or are they way to integrated and need to be fully converted to be possible like above ^^^
Unfortunately you will need to have the EMV repaired or complete the non-EMV conversion to a JZZ30/31 climate control unit if you ever wish to have control of the heater & A/C again.

Shoot me a PM if you need contact details of the local repair gurus.

All the best.
Old 12-10-15, 12:37 AM
KahnBB6
Forum Moderator

Received 1,251 Likes on 871 Posts

Originally Posted by ahero4all
Right! I had to do a double take when I first saw the picture. I am going to start searching for one. I've owned SC's since 1995, would like to change up the appearance of the dash..SEARCH ON!

ahero4all, keep in mind that the AM/FM functions all operate on different frequency ranges than USA radio broadcasters use. You'd get some stations in the lower 88.x FM range but that's about it. The TV tuner function I assume is analog so that shouldn't work at all now that the USA has moved to digital broadcasts. Finally the navigation function can't be programmed for maps outside of Japan.

And then of course the onscreen menu functions are largely in Japanese characters.

I do agree though that it's an awesome optional stereo/media unit that I wish we'd had as options in the USA. If you're determined I say go for it but just be aware of those limitations.

I have no idea how well the radio/TV works for folks in Australia. The navigation function I am 99% certain is Japan only.

Personally I love the little 1/2 din AM/FM radio unit but that might be a nightmare to hook up here and the station info is only displayed on the TV screen.

Again... I love this stuff too. I just think it's of limited practical use in the USA.

Last edited by KahnBB6; 12-10-15 at 12:40 AM.
Old 12-10-15, 03:25 AM
MrChemical
Driver School Candidate

So after looking and looking and looking some more looking I found that only 3 (which seems to only be power and ground , which is nice at least) wires match any diagram iv looked at. Right now I need to find out where the amp trigger wire is meant to be on the plugs I have so I can at least get it all to turn on then I think i need to go wire by wire and try and connect each speaker manually
Old 12-11-15, 05:16 AM
yauny
Rookie

Originally Posted by MrChemical
So after looking and looking and looking some more looking I found that only 3 (which seems to only be power and ground , which is nice at least) wires match any diagram iv looked at. Right now I need to find out where the amp trigger wire is meant to be on the plugs I have so I can at least get it all to turn on then I think i need to go wire by wire and try and connect each speaker manually
amp turn on is a 12v acc wire so either find the wire in ur harness that only powers on when u turn the key to acc or you can connect it to ur cig lighter fuse thats a 12v acc connection. Good luck
Old 12-11-15, 06:35 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

Yeah I've seen these all over the Yahoo auctions but as stated before, besides just looking cool they aren't useful at all in the states.