SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

OEM Shift k*** question

Search this Thread

Old 10-09-15, 08:13 PM
bruening89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default OEM Shift k*** question

Okay so a few weeks back my button for my shifter broke, so I got me another one the other day. This makes feel really stupid as a tech, but Idk if I'm installing it wrong?.. when I slide the shifter onto the pedestal the engagement shaft tends to stick causing the unit to stay unlocked and slide through any gear. I've tried a few ideas that I thought would help but it didn't. Please no slurred comments, I feel dumb as it is, I've never had such a weird problem like this before.
Old 10-11-15, 03:38 PM
Biddles
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Are you missing the spring? Take the shifter off and take a picture, perhaps you're missing something. The auto shifter has a few bushings as well that add to play, it seems like people abuse the hell out of them. I had a dude test drive my car and he was manhandling it like it was 5 speed... I don't get it, after you put it in drive you don't need to touch it again until you park...
Old 10-11-15, 04:26 PM
bruening89
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Biddles
Are you missing the spring? Take the shifter off and take a picture, perhaps you're missing something. The auto shifter has a few bushings as well that add to play, it seems like people abuse the hell out of them. I had a dude test drive my car and he was manhandling it like it was 5 speed... I don't get it, after you put it in drive you don't need to touch it again until you park...
I got it fixed today, thanks for the input. But what the problem was, was the engagement shafts was bent, so I straightened it out and now it's operationally clean. Thanks again for your time.