SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

HELLA Optilux Extreme Yellow XY Foglights Mini Review (WITH PICTURES)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-15, 07:31 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default HELLA Optilux Extreme Yellow XY Foglights Mini Review (WITH PICTURES)

So I been on the market for fog lights for a little while and wanted to find something that was H3 bulbs instead of going the HID route.

There really are no reviews on YouTube about them besides two.. and since we all drive SC's I thought I'd share my opinion with you in-case you were in the market to buy something like this.

Anyway....

Yellow? Yes.
Bright as **** yellow? No. Not "extreme yellow" at all.
Perfect fit and simple to install? Yes.
Should you buy these if you don't want to go the HID yellow route? I'd say no.

I've been searching everywhere from Ebay to Amazon to find out what is a nice true goldish yellow fog light and these are not it. The reviews say different. They say it's a very bright yellow and that you can see further, etc, etc.

No.. that's not correct. They produce a minor yellow color and I have these fog lights + OEM lights with OEM bulbs and 'yellow' like blends in...

I tested this in pure darkness and you can obviously see a little difference but in this case pictures are NOT deceiving because it's a waste IF you're trying to find a nice bright yellow fog light color.

These were $20 with free shipping straight to my doorstep. Shipped from KY to IL in less then 3 days which is always nice.

All in all, if you're trying to find a nice DEEP yellow color, don't get these - go the hid route. The hype that these bulbs get is not good.

I do not know alot about HID's or FOG's but from my experience tonight.. I think the better route is HID yellow fog lights.

Here's some pictures:

Never did a review before.. ask me questions if you guys want.

Last edited by Luxurious; 10-07-15 at 07:41 PM.
Old 10-08-15, 04:42 PM
Zerodrag
Pole Position

Received 28 Likes on 25 Posts

Are those comparable to the Putco H3s in color? I had those a few years ago and they weren't super yellow, but were still pretty reasonable.
Old 10-08-15, 05:57 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Personally I stay away from halogen bulbs due to it emitting soot that darkens your lenses in time. That's one of the reason why there's a lot of people with foggy looking lenses even though they've sanded and buffed the outer lens. Halogen bulbs have a filament in it that literally burns when electricity passes through it. Also why it dims after some time. HID is still the best option for lighting right now.
Old 10-08-15, 08:57 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

@zero, I am not sure buddy.

@Philip.. I did not know that! Pretty useful information honestly. As I'm driving, these flicker off for a split second every couple minutes whilst driving. Thinking of not turning them on now while I drive at night.

It's just a shame that it's no where near as bright as I wanted. They really do blend in with stock lights. So you're saying just to go HID even if it's for fogs? I feel as it that would use double the power but I could be wrong.
Old 10-08-15, 09:18 PM
Blaze876
Advanced

Received 97 Likes on 81 Posts

Don't think you will get a good yellow from halogen bulbs. If you do the light output won't be great. It is like either or (can't have your cake and eat it too) when it comes to halogens.

Back in August I ordered some 3500K HIDS from a well reviewed kit on Amazon. The yellow was not to my liking (not yellow enough). Though it did look like a great yellow on the road. However looking on the car directly it seemed like halogen.

I returned that kit and just got a DDM tuning 5000k 35w HID kit. With this I can always use a yellow vinyl to achieve the yellow I want while maintaining a great light output (have your cake and eat it!) haha.
I have held off on the vinyl because the 5000k fog lights seem to light up the road better than the 5000k in my headlights . Both are the same kits so not sure why.

P.S. the HID kit in my fogs and headlights does not get hot like how the halogens did. Just make sure to get 35w and not 55w.
Old 10-08-15, 09:58 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

That's where you misunderstand HID's my friend. HID's started to be utilized in the car world to lessen wattage usage to achieve lower current draw in the cars electrical system. Halogen bulbs are 55watts, while a standard HID kit is only 35watts. That's why I always say people who use 55watt HID kits have no idea what they're doing.

Here's how an HID kit functions; the bulbs have xenon gas in a chamber, hence its aka xenon bulbs, that glows when high electric current passes through it provided by the ballasts acting as a transformer, transforming the 12volts into 220volts. The advantages are, since there's no filament, the headlight does not build up soot in the headlights. The bulbs will never die out as long as the bulbs stay sealed and the wires doesn't break, the ballasts are actually even the first ones to go due to handling high voltage. There's no fluctuation in the current so it does not flicker and the light output is more uniform.

I have had my DDM Tuning HID's for the past 6 years and have never had any sort of problem with it. I have even moved it from my old SC400 to the newer SC300. Bought it for $45 with a lifetime warranty too.
Old 10-08-15, 11:28 PM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by KingPhilip
That's where you misunderstand HID's my friend. HID's started to be utilized in the car world to lessen wattage usage to achieve lower current draw in the cars electrical system. Halogen bulbs are 55watts, while a standard HID kit is only 35watts. That's why I always say people who use 55watt HID kits have no idea what they're doing.

Here's how an HID kit functions; the bulbs have xenon gas in a chamber, hence its aka xenon bulbs, that glows when high electric current passes through it provided by the ballasts acting as a transformer, transforming the 12volts into 220volts. The advantages are, since there's no filament, the headlight does not build up soot in the headlights. The bulbs will never die out as long as the bulbs stay sealed and the wires doesn't break, the ballasts are actually even the first ones to go due to handling high voltage. There's no fluctuation in the current so it does not flicker and the light output is more uniform.

I have had my DDM Tuning HID's for the past 6 years and have never had any sort of problem with it. I have even moved it from my old SC400 to the newer SC300. Bought it for $45 with a lifetime warranty too.

Interesting ...
Are the bulbs any different?

E.g.
I used to have 35w 6000K (white) HID's, but they didn't illuminate as far a distance as my original HID's that came with the car (I dunno what brand the original owner used; I just had to replace a fading light). So I got new HID's of the same brand, that are now 55w instead. They're a bit better; still not as great as whatever those originals were, but is it the ballast's that differ only? Because the bulbs themselves look identical otherwise.
Old 10-08-15, 11:54 PM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

SEIDO, forgot to mention, I would also stay away from HID bulbs higher than 5000k as it start to have a blue hue that is not very good in reflecting back the objects the light reaches. Stay within the natural light color 4500k for non-projector headlights or 5000k for projector equipped headlights, which is also the same color factory HID equipped cars use. 4500k look very similar to the color hue of halogen lights or natural light, while 5000k is just plain white light without any blue hue at all.

This has a lot to do behind the science of light. In science, all objects absorb the colors of light. And whatever the color an object appears to be is actually the only color the object does not absorb, rather reflect, in turn what we see it as. So if a light source have it's own color, it is not projecting all the colors that light is supposed to posses therefore certain objects does not appear as clear as they are supposed to be. Do I make sense? LOL
Old 10-09-15, 12:11 AM
SEIDO
Instructor

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

SEIDO, forgot to mention, I would also stay away from HID bulbs higher than 5000k as it start to have a blue hue that is not very good in reflecting back the objects the light reaches. Stay within the natural light color 4500k for non-projector headlights or 5000k for projector equipped headlights, which is also the same color factory HID equipped cars use. 4500k look very similar to the color hue of halogen lights or natural light, while 5000k is just plain white light without any blue hue at all.

This has a lot to do behind the science of light. In science, all objects absorb the colors of light. And whatever the color an object appears to be is actually the only color the object does not absorb, rather reflect, in turn what we see it as. So if a light source have it's own color, it is not projecting all the colors that light is supposed to posses therefore certain objects does not appear as clear as they are supposed to be. Do I make sense? LOL
Yeah; so should I just keep my 55w ballasts, but order replacement bulbs in 5000K instead of 6?
Is that why they currently don't produce visibility seemingly as far as the original one's?
Old 10-09-15, 06:41 AM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Too dim and pale for my taste. I'd consider getting HID's down the road.
Old 10-09-15, 07:31 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

I have 35w 3k HID fogs and they look green/yellow but hardly output any light at all, practically no point in having them on besides looks. Would it be ill advised to try a 55w setup in the fog housing?

For the record I have had a 55w 5k setup in the low beams for almost 3 years in 2 of my SC's with NO issues but the housing does feel really hot, almost too hot to touch. But they are killer on the cutoff and output, so maybe thats why the 35w fogs dont look so bright in comparison?
Old 10-09-15, 08:01 AM
Luxurious
Intermediate

I understood a little but got confused as hell

This the kit you're talking about? https://www.ddmtuning.com/Products/D...ast-35W-or-55W

I mean.. $30? Why's it so cheap lol
Old 10-09-15, 08:16 AM
OG Dada
Lexus Champion

See my previous post why not to use 55watt ballasts, it's totally going against the point of switching to HID. On top of that, the bulbs run hotter, which means shorter lifespan, just for a 30% more light output, when what really affects the light output is our outdated 20 year old frosted projector lenses. Just stick with 35watt all the time, and choose between 4500k or 5000k according to your liking.

As far as why DDM Tuning is very cheap when compared to other brands, I used to sell HID kits too back when they cost like $500 a set, back when only high end luxury cars had the pleasure of using it. Everybody who sell HID's get all of them from China. No matter what brand you see, Bosch, Philips, Morimoto, whatever, they all come from China. For Christ's sake it's written all over the boxes and the parts, and people still look at me like I'm crazy when I say this. They all come out of factories in China as a generic, until these other companies slap their stickers on it, and put them in fancy boxes to make them look not China. And this even goes for all other products that doesn't have factories here in US or any other place they want you believe it to be made. Anyways, if you buy DDM Tuning, it doesn't come in a fancy box, with any fancy instructions, or fancy warranty papers, heck, they even ship it directly from China. And that's how they save a lot of moula that they pass on to buyers. It's like how Costco do it. People have no idea how much money Costco save by not manufacturing any fancy plastic bags with their logo's on it.
Old 10-09-15, 12:57 PM
LEXOWINO
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

See my previous post why not to use 55watt ballasts, it's totally going against the point of switching to HID. On top of that, the bulbs run hotter, which means shorter lifespan, just for a 30% more light output, when what really affects the light output is our outdated 20 year old frosted projector lenses. Just stick with 35watt all the time, and choose between 4500k or 5000k according to your liking.

As far as why DDM Tuning is very cheap when compared to other brands, I used to sell HID kits too back when they cost like $500 a set, back when only high end luxury cars had the pleasure of using it. Everybody who sell HID's get all of them from China. No matter what brand you see, Bosch, Philips, Morimoto, whatever, they all come from China. For Christ's sake it's written all over the boxes and the parts, and people still look at me like I'm crazy when I say this. They all come out of factories in China as a generic, until these other companies slap their stickers on it, and put them in fancy boxes to make them look not China. And this even goes for all other products that doesn't have factories here in US or any other place they want you believe it to be made. Anyways, if you buy DDM Tuning, it doesn't come in a fancy box, with any fancy instructions, or fancy warranty papers, heck, they even ship it directly from China. And that's how they save a lot of moula that they pass on to buyers. It's like how Costco do it. People have no idea how much money Costco save by not manufacturing any fancy plastic bags with their logo's on it.
I was on a different forum and DDM Tuning was the go to HID conversion kit for them. I should have gone HID when the integration relay gave out but I needed it done. I may still do so.