SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

So I went to the Lexus dealership today for a 5 speed SC300..

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-15, 10:50 AM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Received 22 Likes on 11 Posts
Default So I went to the Lexus dealership today for a 5 speed SC300..

Hi! I went to a Lexus dealership today to see if they have any bushings for a 95' sc300 5 speed.

The rep said we can order one and it'll be here tomorrow, which we agreed on that I will get it tomorrow.

I bought the trans bushing because my shifter has minor play, not ALOT of play, but enough where if I get a bushing that it'll be better.

It costed me $7.99

Is this all I need? Do I need to go back and request to order more things?

Please help.
Old 10-06-15, 01:19 PM
jadu
live.love.laugh.lexus

Received 89 Likes on 71 Posts

many of the 5 speed guys use the marlin crawler bushings to resolve the notchy shift feeling of the w58:

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm.../shifter-parts
Old 10-06-15, 02:09 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by jadu
many of the 5 speed guys use the marlin crawler bushings to resolve the notchy shift feeling of the w58:

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm.../shifter-parts
Where am I looking on this site? I am so lost, haha.

This here says it's for L43- 4 speed applications so I'm not sure if this'll fit.

Right?

https://www.marlincrawler.com/transm...y-duty-sockets

Last edited by Luxurious; 10-06-15 at 02:11 PM. Reason: Forgot something.
Old 10-06-15, 03:58 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Luxurious

This here says it's for L43- 4 speed applications so I'm not sure if this'll fit.
Right?

Dude,

You read it incorrectly regarding the L43 4-speed transmission.

Old 10-06-15, 07:06 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

You read it incorrectly regarding the L43 4-speed transmission.

So, what are you trying to say? Lol
Old 10-06-15, 09:19 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

Luxurious,

Since you said you have a 1995 SC300 5-speed, these style bushings are not what you need because you have the newer "tripod" remote style shifter setup from the factory (1995-1997 SC manuals) This is 100% identical to the W58 shifter setup that all 1993-1997 Supra MKIV NA 5-speeds came with.

In your case, you can buy the same parts from Lexus or Toyota (for the MKIV Supra 5-speed manual). Not sure if Marlin carries bushings for tripod setups.

To anyone with a 1992-1994 5-speed or swapped early style W58:

It's the correct page on MC's site but you have two options for the shifter lever bushing. You want the option that is NOT for the L43 type transmission. Basically, the socket size is standardized across many Toyota manual transmissions, including the W58.

You'd also want to buy the seat/socket part on the same page under the option that says:

"Most Other Transmission Shift Handles (White), (p/n: MCTM-522)"

OP, hope this helps clear things up. Your dealer ordered you the correct bushings. They install differently than with the early style W58's. Did they also order you replacement bushings for the tripod assembly itself as it anchors to the transmission housing?

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-06-15 at 09:23 PM.
Old 10-06-15, 09:54 PM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
Luxurious,

Since you said you have a 1995 SC300 5-speed, these style bushings are not what you need because you have the newer "tripod" remote style shifter setup from the factory (1995-1997 SC manuals) This is 100% identical to the W58 shifter setup that all 1993-1997 Supra MKIV NA 5-speeds came with.

In your case, you can buy the same parts from Lexus or Toyota (for the MKIV Supra 5-speed manual). Not sure if Marlin carries bushings for tripod setups.

To anyone with a 1992-1994 5-speed or swapped early style W58:

It's the correct page on MC's site but you have two options for the shifter lever bushing. You want the option that is NOT for the L43 type transmission. Basically, the socket size is standardized across many Toyota manual transmissions, including the W58.

You'd also want to buy the seat/socket part on the same page under the option that says:

"Most Other Transmission Shift Handles (White), (p/n: MCTM-522)"

OP, hope this helps clear things up. Your dealer ordered you the correct bushings. They install differently than with the early style W58's. Did they also order you replacement bushings for the tripod assembly itself as it anchors to the transmission housing?
Thank you very, very much for clearing this up. I will look into Supra parts if I have to. He didn't ask me anything, I only asked if he had a bushing for the shifter and he said yes, we'll order it. Do I also need to purchase what you told me? I have no idea what to ask him once I go back tomorrow.

I just thought ordering this single little piece of bushing will help the shifter a little bit as I'm guessing it's probably rotted to hell.

EDIT: Would this be okay since it's the W58 trans?

http://www.ebay.com/itm/like/121086284476?ul_noapp=true&chn=ps&lpid=82

Last edited by Luxurious; 10-06-15 at 09:58 PM.
Old 10-07-15, 02:59 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by Luxurious
Thank you very, very much for clearing this up. I will look into Supra parts if I have to. He didn't ask me anything, I only asked if he had a bushing for the shifter and he said yes, we'll order it. Do I also need to purchase what you told me? I have no idea what to ask him once I go back tomorrow.

I just thought ordering this single little piece of bushing will help the shifter a little bit as I'm guessing it's probably rotted to hell.

EDIT: Would this be okay since it's the W58 trans?

Toyota Supra Shifter MK4 MKIV Bushings Bushing T | eBay
No problem!

No, you shouldn't need to purchase replacement or aftermarket bushings for the whole tripod assembly unless you still feel there is slop or play in the shifter. Those aftermarket solid bushings look correct... I think... but they don't even specifically say if it's for the V160 or W58. Both are tripod setups though.

This is the OEM set I usually think of when it comes to tripod W58 setups. This one says it's for the Supra MKIV but it should be the same system on 95-97 SC's. Your dealer may have only sold you the upper or lower set.

http://www.driftmotion.com/Shifter-R...8-p/dm1778.htm
Old 10-07-15, 09:17 AM
Luxurious
Intermediate

Originally Posted by KahnBB6
No problem!

No, you shouldn't need to purchase replacement or aftermarket bushings for the whole tripod assembly unless you still feel there is slop or play in the shifter. Those aftermarket solid bushings look correct... I think... but they don't even specifically say if it's for the V160 or W58. Both are tripod setups though.

This is the OEM set I usually think of when it comes to tripod W58 setups. This one says it's for the Supra MKIV but it should be the same system on 95-97 SC's. Your dealer may have only sold you the upper or lower set.

http://www.driftmotion.com/Shifter-R...8-p/dm1778.htm
Perfect. Yeah, the guy from Lexus called me and told me it's time to pick it up. So I'll go get that and just change that for now. Maybe get a short shifter later on.

Alrighty, I won't purchase the one I linked.

Yeah I'm hoping he sold me the bottom one or I just won't buy it.. haha..

Thanks for all of your help Kahn!
Old 10-07-15, 11:50 AM
KahnBB6