Importing A Soarer

Search this Thread

Old 10-04-15, 06:36 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Importing A Soarer

Hey guys..

With this 25 year rule, lots of desirable cars are now available for import here in the states. With that said, since buying my first SC a few years ago my goal has been to own a UZZ32 and now funds will permit it.

There are 3 "rules" when it comes to importing but my main concern is the first 2.

1. 25 years or older
2. Any vehicle that was originally manufactured to meet the NHTSA (DOT) & EPA standards, such as USDM cars like a Chevrolet Corvette or European exotic from USA, can be repatriated back to America without import restriction.

Now, on this CBP website, there's a LIST OF NONCONFORMING MOTOR VEHICLES
THAT ARE ELIGIBLE FOR IMPORTATION. Listed under Lexus are SC300 and SC400 whose docket numbers aren't online.

http://www.nhtsa.gov/cars/rules/import/

Basically I'm trying to figure out whether or not I can import a Soarer based on the NonConforming list. Can I import a 98 for instance? If I can then it will give me options (not in terms of UZZ32, just Soarers in general). Any info is helpful.
Old 10-04-15, 07:28 PM
tfwnoturbo
Pit Crew

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

The problem with importing cars is that if you want a specific car imported, you have to pay people to do it for you. There is almost no "doing it yourself" to it, because you need specific paperwork and you have to fill it out perfectly, send it off to the right people or you're gonna get stuck in an endless loop. It's basically a sea of paperwork you have to navigate.
Even if you do pay someone to do it, and most (if not all) these companies won't touch it with a 5 foot pole unless it conforms to the 25 year rule, because with importing these they take a huge risk. Under the 25 year law you can only import 1990 Model year cars, So you're gonna have to wait a year if you want a jdm UZZ32.
Old 10-04-15, 07:41 PM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Ok to clear up some stuff: ANY car/vehicle 25 years or older is elligible/exempt. That means that once 2016 comes you can bring any car with a manufacturer date or 1991 or older over. All that needs to be done is get your paperwork in order and pay your 2.5% duty. As mentioned in the post above, get an importer to sort the paperwork and shipping. It does cost a bit but it will be well worth it in the end vs the headache of doing all the work yourself.
Typical costs are as follows
Cost of Car x1.025 to account for duties
shipping (1500 from canada or 3500 to the nearest port from japan)
Importer fees are about 1000-1250

Lets say you find a car for sale over the border for $7000 usd your costs said and done will be around 10,000 to 12,000

Other than that you will have to get specialty car insurance and pay cash for the entire process because I can't think of a bank that would be willing to put a loan on a car that's probably not even in kbb and has an unknown value. Whether or not it worth it us up to you.
Hope this helps
Old 10-04-15, 09:32 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Yeah, I think I'll wait. I'm going to do more research on import companies and when the time comes I'll do it the right way.
Old 10-04-15, 11:57 PM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

lexuscfour,

The best way to do this is to use an RI (registered importer) that offers these services and does the majority of the paperwork for you. It's a LOT of legal work and a LOT of counter-intuitive fees throughout the whole process. A close friend of mine has an imported '80 2-door G-wagen diesel that came in this way by the previous owner. He combed through a horrendous amount of paper trail to ensure what he had bought was in fact done the 100% legal way before him, to the point of contacting the US DOT itself for verification of some forms. Thankfully it was.

Today, as there is more of a market for importing popular 80's and 90's performance and off-road vehicles, the process has become better through RI's that have streamlined things for the end customer.

Thought he doesn't go into too many details and bends his stories to more silly humor, check out the first couple of Jalopnik articles by Doug DeMuro regarding how he imported his R32 Skyline GT-R. I think he used Japanese Classics as his importer. Very reputable. There are others too but choose carefully. Another big and well known name in the RI business is Sean Morris, who runs his own importation business and was famous for being the brains for getting Skyline R33 GTR's crash tested and DOT approved back in the Motorex days (it's worth noting that the bad decisions Motorex management made that lead to their demise and the subsequent DOT and Customs crackdowns on illegal Skylines wasn't something he was involved with).

Also, a car can't just be 25 years old. It has to be EXACTLY 25 years old or older down to the MONTH of manufacture stamped on the chassis. Even being one month too young is totally ineligible. So you'll have to wait one year to one and a half more years to import any 1991 Soarers.

Now finding a genuine UZZ32 won't be easy. They only made... 873 over the entire production run? Anyone have the correct production number?

The good news is that the actual fees are pricey but not insanely pricey. Maybe $6k average on top of whatever the vehicle sells for overseas. That, and due to the habits of many owners in Japan, the condition of many cars is going to be pretty good. In the case of the GT-R's, however, the prices have gone WAY up all over the world in direct correlation with their being eligible for USA importation. That probably won't be the case for all well known 90's Japanese sportscars but we'll see.

Certainly a real UZZ32 in good condition is going to be tough to find. Several have already made their way into Australia.

All said, the main barriers will lift soon if you're set on finding one. Wait just a bit more, then go for it

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-05-15 at 12:09 AM.
Old 10-05-15, 12:06 AM
maynanator
Lead Lap

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

Here's another thing to think about, especially so with a uzz32. Whatever car you buy will at some point need servicing and repairs. In the case of the active suspension it is a very expensive system to keep up, and parts even in japan are difficult to find. If you do find a Uzz32 it will most likely have it's active suspension deleted due to maintanance costs. If the active suspension is still intact it probably hasn't been properly serviced. If you do by some one in a million chance find a working uzz32 the way it was designed it will probably cost an arm and a leg. If somehow you get by all those hurdles and do find a way to service all the parts I'd love to see it. It's too bad we never got the uzz32 over here. Mostly because that means I would probably have one. Now a soarer worth importing would be a jzz30. They're not all to costly and a bit easier to find. Performance mods are easy because of all the guys that love the the jz platform. Heck the 1jz is starting to become one of the more popular swap options for the 240sx guys. a properly put together 1jz can make 500whp fairly easily and they can rev to the moon. Either way it most likely still wont be cheap. If you are really serious about importing a soarer pm me. I've done a ton of research and am friends with a couple importers. I might be able to save you a bit on the costs of picking one up.
Old 10-05-15, 08:34 AM
Vrank
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It's not that hard. I've brought in three vehicles this year. Using an RI isn't necessary unless you're trying to do this commercially. A personal vehicle for personal use is cake. Like mentioned before,
Fed requirements
2.5% purchase price for tax
Around $9 handling fee for customs
Nhtsa form (hs-7)
EPA form (3520-1)

State laws will be the same as any other car for the most part, but it is advised to visit with these folks at your local DMV to confirm exactly what they want

The biggest issue is findin someone you can trust to send your money to. Wiring money across the ocean can leave you eligible for a good screwing. Buying cars sight unseen is another concern. Pictures can make things look great.

Also, no on the 1998. It needs to be 25 years old or older. Maybe once they start coming in legally petition for the similar models may be able to be pushed forward, but that's literally gonna take an act of congress hahaha.

For most people, it'll be less headache to buy something already here, or inquire with current importers to look for stuff for them that they are interested in.
Old 10-05-15, 09:29 AM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

To touch base on insuring an imported vehicle, I'm a licensed agent and can confirm its not as hard as you think. It'll be considered a gray market car in which some companies just simply wont insure you, but many will and do on a very common daily basis. As long as its not your daily driver and its kept in a garage it can be VERY affordable. If it's gonna be your daily then you'll see normal rates for any other 25 year old car, still not bad.. For branding reasons I wont say who will or wont, you'll have to do some research. Most of these cars are considered no different than a classic car, exotic car or pleasure vehicle like kit cars or replica home made cars. If the car is worth more than 25k you'll need an appraisal from a 3rd party since they wont follow over seas MSRP's, an appraisal can range from $100-$500. Anything under 25k you'll have to just come up with an agreed "cash value" to replace the vehicle in case of a peril. If you cant come to an agreed replacement cost with your agent they may not insure you or again would need an appraisal. Pretty much your paperwork for the cost of purchase will suffice for any level headed agent. In short, its no different than owning a classic car since they are exempt from emissions, mileage and many safety rating discounts or requirements. Import away!

That being said, if any of you would like to cross that bridge in Missouri let me know, I'll get you covered.

Last edited by Kris9884; 10-05-15 at 09:36 AM.
Old 10-05-15, 12:40 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

I've been considering importing a Skyline or a Soarer in the next few years. I've noticed quite a few imported cars driving around in my state that didn't meet the 25 year requirement. I've seen a few MKIV Supras, R33 Skylines, various Hondas, and a friend who has an S15 Silvia. I was curious how that works.

My state doesn't do inspections or smog checks.
Old 10-05-15, 06:32 PM
empringham
Advanced

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

should just move up to Canada, love our 15 year rule. But then again, you guys got guns....

good luck with your importing OP

But just wondering.... My soarer is a JZZ30. isent that what all the Japanese ones are? i though UZZ were from Australia and Europe?
Old 10-05-15, 06:41 PM
lexuscfour
Rookie

Originally Posted by empringham
should just move up to Canada, love our 15 year rule. But then again, you guys got guns....

good luck with your importing OP

But just wondering.... My soarer is a JZZ30. isent that what all the Japanese ones are? i though UZZ were from Australia and Europe?
JZZ30 is the chasis code for JDM 1JZ. UZZ30, 31 and 32 correlate to V8 models (coil, airbag, active suspensions)

Thanks for all the replys. So what if I found a UZZ32 and wanted to buy it now. Could I buy it, ship it, store it and hold off on registration and such until it turns 25?
Old 10-07-15, 03:14 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by lexuscfour
So what if I found a UZZ32 and wanted to buy it now. Could I buy it, ship it, store it and hold off on registration and such until it turns 25?
No, sorry. The car has to be 25 years old down to the month of manufacture stamped on the car. Not a month early. A 1991 Soarer (first year) won't be legal until sometime next year. I'd wait until then.

I mean, if you know how to sneak it in carefully you sort of can do this but you'd eventually run into customs issues or forever need to be very careful with your Soarer. Even if you managed to get the car here, once they figured out what happened you'd be (best case) allowed to ship it back overseas. This is after they seize it. Worst case, they just crush it. And the customs folks really don't care how rare a car is. They honestly believe a rusty minivan with no tail lights, bad brakes, a belching exhaust and bald tires that is an original US model is safer and not worth their time versus a well maintained classic Japanese car in near pristine condition with low miles. There has been a DOT or Customs video released in the last year or so showcasing the crushing of a couple of vehicles, replete with not so subtle smugness.

Look up recent news stories about US Customs going after several legally imported Land Rover Defenders. A lawyer enthusiast took on a class action case for all the affected owners pro bono and won. And (nearly) all of those vehicles actually were legal and much older than 25 years. Just to give you an idea of how stupid but still serious it can get. The reason in their case was also due to the fact that a 2013 Defender can look nearly identical to a 1980 Defender, other than the VIN plates. Though to my knowledge all the vehicles in that case (the majority involved) brought in by a specific importer were either right at 25 years or much older. Not sure what the motivation there was higher up in the food chain.

I've seen all manner of 90's JDM sportscars in Florida that shouldn't have been there: an R33 GTS-T, an R34 GT-R, a Pulsar GTI-R, an S15. Key is that I SAW them all once. Who knows if they're still around. They certainly aren't legal and probably won't be even once they cross their respective 25 year marks because they won't have all the customs paperwork or the very important HS-7 form.

People do it and cars get brought over in pieces sometimes and at their own risk but starting in twelve months it won't matter any longer for an early Soarer UZZ30/31/32 or JZZ30.

If you can hold out just a bit longer it will be worth it. You seem to be very set on finding a 32 and I'd like to see you have the best shot at finding a good one and keeping it with no caveats

Well... other than the rarity of some of the suspension components

Last edited by KahnBB6; 10-07-15 at 03:38 AM.
Old 10-07-15, 03:45 AM
KahnBB6

Originally Posted by tfwnoturbo
The problem with importing cars is that if you want a specific car imported, you have to pay people to do it for you. There is almost no "doing it yourself" to it, because you need specific paperwork and you have to fill it out perfectly, send it off to the right people or you're gonna get stuck in an endless loop. It's basically a sea of paperwork you have to navigate.
Even if you do pay someone to do it, and most (if not all) these companies won't touch it with a 5 foot pole unless it conforms to the 25 year rule, because with importing these they take a huge risk. Under the 25 year law you can only import 1990 Model year cars, So you're gonna have to wait a year if you want a jdm UZZ32.
^^ This is very good advice. It is not really possible (even physically) to do all of the steps involved yourself. You need to know what key people to engage at certain stages and have many forms and checks or cash ready and prepared each step of the way. It's a daunting amount of paperwork and the ins and outs that you won't be familiar with might cause a snag and delay in the process. Established importers that cover pretty much all of this exist for a good reason.
Old 10-07-15, 09:14 AM
Sweatshop
Lead Lap

You guys are over-thinking this, lol. Theses guys have already foreseen a budding market for this. They take care of repairs and title and registration paperwork too. In the same boat. Would love a Soarer or a Sylvia myself.

http://www.japaneseclassicsllc.com/
Old 10-07-15, 11:55 AM
KahnBB6

^^ I like what I've heard about this company as well. And Sean Morris's outfit: http://www.importavehicle.com/default.aspx

Quick Reply: Importing A Soarer