SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Mystery coolant hose buried under the throttle body / manifold

Search this Thread

Old 09-25-15, 08:12 AM
bleasdell
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Mystery coolant hose buried under the throttle body / manifold

I replaced the valve covers a couple of weeks ago. Hadn't started the engine since. Just did yesterday and had a coolant leak. Upon investigation, I found there is a "U" shaped coolant hose under the intake manifold that connects to the throttle body that wasn't connected. The problem is that I can't figure out where this thing connects (and I don't now remember disconnecting it).

Any ideas?

Old 09-25-15, 08:23 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bleasdell
I replaced the valve covers a couple of weeks ago. Hadn't started the engine since. Just did yesterday and had a coolant leak. Upon investigation, I found there is a "U" shaped coolant hose under the intake manifold that connects to the throttle body that wasn't connected. The problem is that I can't figure out where this thing connects (and I don't now remember disconnecting it).

Any ideas?

Dude,

You should see a hose somewhere on the driver-side of the engine that starts behind the steering pump/ac compressor and works its way up there to connect to that hose. If you stand by the front driver-side wheel and look under the curved intake manifold you'll see the oil filter and a similar sized coolant hose coming down and to the left of the oil filter. It then turns towards the front of the engine. That's the line you need to connect to. This line sends coolant to the Idle Air Control Valve (IACV). The coolant hose that is at the back side of the throttle body heading towards the firewall is the other end of that line exiting the throttle body.

Last edited by freakness; 09-25-15 at 08:59 AM.
Old 09-25-15, 09:27 AM
bleasdell
Driver School Candidate

Many thanks or the response. I found the hose you are referring to, but it doesn't connect to the "U"-shaped hose in the picture. I connects to where the "U"-shaped hose is connected, in the picture.

So now the question is, where does that "U" shaped hose go?

No idea how/why it's connected to the throttle body - I must have been asleep or drunk when putting the manifold back on, else one of my kids is playing a sad joke on me.

Let me know if I got anything wrong above or if you recognize the "U"-shaped hose. This is the last time I forget to take detailed pictures during the disassembly.
Old 09-25-15, 09:48 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bleasdell
Many thanks or the response. I found the hose you are referring to, but it doesn't connect to the "U"-shaped hose in the picture. I connects to where the "U"-shaped hose is connected, in the picture.

So now the question is, where does that "U" shaped hose go?

No idea how/why it's connected to the throttle body - I must have been asleep or drunk when putting the manifold back on, else one of my kids is playing a sad joke on me.

Let me know if I got anything wrong above or if you recognize the "U"-shaped hose. This is the last time I forget to take detailed pictures during the disassembly.

Dude,

Does that u-shaped hose have hose-clamp marks on it? It looks 'virginal' to me which suggests it isn't even supposed to be there. The 'soft' photo may also be simply hiding the detail. I vaguely recall the coolant hose that comes from the front of the engine barely attaches to the nipple that the u-shaped hose is currently pressed-on to. If it's a coolant hose, it's going to have clamp marks. Is your car an automatic? California car? My car is a Federal five-speed. Perhaps there's a difference that I'm not aware of.

Good luck

Old 09-25-15, 09:52 AM
bleasdell
Driver School Candidate

I should have mentioned that as I was thinking the same thing. The "U"-shaped hose does not have clamps or clamp marks and therefore, as you suggest, would not be a coolant hose. That's what has me stumped at this point - I have no idea how/why it was connected there. Bizarrely, it does fit that nipple perfectly .

Yes, the car is an automatic and is not a CA car. I'm a newbie to the SC and the 2JZ, but no newbie otherwise and this has me stumped. That's why I'm thinking someone is playing a not-so-funny joke on me .

I appreciate all your help. Hope I can repay soon.
Old 09-26-15, 08:32 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

My car has the throttle body off now.

To be clear mine is a 92 5speed. My throttle body is a little different than yours but I think the coolant attachments are similar.

The coolant line I believe you're referring to is below the throttle body and exits to the right of the motor. I took a picture of mine to show you. I disconnect the hose from the throttle body rather than from the block as it's easier to detach and reattach.

I circled it in red, and highlighted the hose in orange, you should be able to feel down there and find the tip it attaches to.

I know it looks like a ***** outline... I'm sorry. And if you didn't even notice that it looks like a ***** outline, I apologize for putting that image in your head. Lol.

The throttle body has two coolant lines. This one that I showed in the picture, and another one on the left side of the motor that goes back towards the rear of the motor and attaches near the intake side of the throttle body facing away from the front bumper. You can see it in the picture to the left of the spark plug channel, it's laying down under one of the two bolts coming from the Y-pipe.

Hope this helps, if you have more questions ask and I'll try to get another picture for you or whatever in the next couple days.
Old 09-28-15, 06:49 AM
bleasdell
Driver School Candidate

You guys nailed it. The hose highlighted by eknine9 is what connects to the lower connection on the throttle body. That "U"-shaped hose is a vacuum hose that connects between the intake manifold and the firewall between a blue-colored device (not 100% sure what that is, yet) that has an electrical connector and two vacuum hose connections and a nearby hard line.

I don't know how/why that "U"-shaped hose was connected to the throttle body. I think my son was messing with me.

Thanks for all the help guys.
Old 09-28-15, 01:40 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

It's a vacuum hose for the VSV (vacuum switching valve) I believe the VSV is also connected to a hardline which goes to the charcoal canister.