SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Talk me out of selling my SC300

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-15, 09:02 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Talk me out of selling my SC300

So I've been toying around with the idea of selling my beloved SC300. It's a 95 with around 100k miles. I had big plans for it but never had the time or money to invest in it. Just basics like coilovers, head unit, and rims. I love the car but it needs new brakes, has the squeakin rear upper control arm bushings, paint could be better and it is automatic. I thought I would keep it forever but have a son now(almost 2) and I'm wondering if I should sell the SC300 for a sporty 4dr sedan. Something that he could ride in and enjoy as well. I just don't see getting a car seat in the back of an SC. Even if I did, getting my son in and out would be a struggle as well.

As you can probably judge from the mileage of my SC, this wouldn't be a DD and just a fun can to have on nice days. Therefore, I can't go spending loads of money on it. For that reason, I've started lookin at 04-05 WRX's. They aren't nearly as comfortable as a Lexus, but I think it would be loads of fun, even in stock form.

So i guess it comes down to whether I want to invest money to make the SC into what I want and will only be able to enjoy myself, or invest money in a WRX that has a lot of potential that I can enjoy with my son.

Anyone have any advice one way or the other?
Old 09-17-15, 10:20 PM
Kris9884
Racer

Received 26 Likes on 21 Posts

Well I can totally understand not wanting to use the back seat, it's worthless. As for selling it though, you'll get maybe 2500 for it. If you need the driveway space then yeah, sell it but if you don't, I'd buy a 2nd car and slowly work on it. Think of it as a hobby instead of a get to work car, that way you can take it apart and not need it the next day. Just depends on your situation. Besides, your kid is going to enjoy any car you enjoy, as long as you're there with him smiling. Good luck!
Old 09-18-15, 10:20 AM
Deegee
Lexus Test Driver

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Keep your SC, you won't get anything for it unless you sell it privately - That is, if you love this car.

If the SC is paid off and if you can afford a car payment, get yourself something to DD, 4 door. Heck, even the older Lexus IS is cheap now a days, and they're super reliable. Hell, that's what I did..
Old 09-18-15, 10:32 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

you should totally sell it... to me =) otherwise just grab another car and throw it on liability it wont cost much.
Old 09-18-15, 10:48 AM
CatManD3W
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 17 Posts

Best advice for a project car is to make sure it is not a DD.....
Old 09-18-15, 10:59 AM
HiPSI
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Fully appreciating the SC requires not daily driving it! When you do get to drive it on occasion you will have a whole new perspective.
Old 09-18-15, 11:02 AM
Teal Sc400
Pole Position

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Remove the Sc from the property/driveway, about a week and if u don't miss her beauty sell the Sc.
Old 09-18-15, 11:20 AM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Yeah, unfortunately I don't have enough room for the SC (which isn't my daily driver) and then another toy. I guess that is why guys always want a 7 car garage huh?

I do still enjoy the SC when I drive it, but with a young kid, there isn't that much alone time it gets driven even less than before.

Decisions decisions. Keep the advice coming.
Old 09-19-15, 12:27 AM
MackOnDeez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OP wants to trade up the SC for a blobeye?

only thing i could really say is to do what best suits your lifestyle.

if you do end up getting the rex, prepare yourself to know the in's & out's of those motors.
very common to leak... quite a bit even with a good owner. so brace your self for that and the motor isnt really the most forgiving placement to work on...

id read up alot on on failures with those cars to make a decision as well to just be prepared if it does happen.

they are really fun cars but it comes with a price.

good luck!
Old 09-19-15, 05:41 AM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

My sc surviving 2 kids, you just have to outweigh this: whether the ride you're going to get would equate to the reliability cost of maintenance.
Yes you need a 4 door car
Yes you need more space
Yes you tired of your sc
No, you're absolutely right !!! Nothing is just ****ing as cool as Lexus sc300/400.
And here is your solution
Keep the car
Attached Thumbnails Talk me out of selling my SC300-image.jpg  
Old 09-19-15, 03:22 PM
kolessc400
Pole Position

Agreed keep it and keep going the best way to talk you self out of selling it is to start doing the work pull the engine and pull it down make your self buy the parts
Old 09-19-15, 03:47 PM
AZN Lex
Pole Position

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
My sc surviving 2 kids, you just have to outweigh this: whether the ride you're going to get would equate to the reliability cost of maintenance.
Yes you need a 4 door car
Yes you need more space
Yes you tired of your sc
No, you're absolutely right !!! Nothing is just ****ing as cool as Lexus sc300/400.
Keep the car
Haha. Did you take the front passenger seat out? That's awesome
Old 09-19-15, 04:38 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Ya man, they're both in my shed still look mint it's easier for kids just jump in back there and buckle up when I get them from kindergarten
Before didn't let kids ride in this car, but now it's more practical
Old 09-19-15, 05:16 PM
Duck05
Racer

Received 360 Likes on 241 Posts

Based on your initial challenges and some of your responses my opinion is you should sell the SC and get a car you can afford and fits your needs.

Once you no longer need kid car seats, get an SC project car that the kids can sit in back safely and start up a new "relationship".....

Good luck on whatever decision you decide upon....
Old 09-19-15, 06:30 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Whoa, I'm not the only one who ditched the passenger seat. The OP only mentioned a son / child seat to fit in, not a spouse, so it's not a bad solution... Everyone should experience how comfortable the rear bucket seats are with all that leg room up front.

Quick Reply: Talk me out of selling my SC300