SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

My 98 SC300 on air suspension

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-15, 11:36 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts
Default My 98 SC300 on air suspension

I drove around yesterday afternoon trying to find some cool spots to take photos of my car. I haven't used my camera in about 3 or 4 years, so I had a bit of a learning curve to get over yesterday.

IMG_6842 copy by blackexcoupe, on Flickr

IMG_6882 copy by blackexcoupe, on Flickr

IMG_6814 copy by blackexcoupe, on Flickr

IMG_6924 copy by blackexcoupe, on Flickr
Old 08-30-15, 06:02 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

Sweet dwp man!!! My twin with chrome rims!!
Any shots of the actual suspension? I'd like to see how your bags are setup if its not a secret and is it still a softer ride or can you adjust firmness level?
Old 08-30-15, 08:58 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
Sweet dwp man!!! My twin with chrome rims!!
Any shots of the actual suspension? I'd like to see how your bags are setup if its not a secret and is it still a softer ride or can you adjust firmness level?
The wheels are actually polished and they are incredibly high maintenance. I don't know if I would ever get another polished mesh wheel again.

What would you like to see about the suspension? I'll try to see if I have a picture of it. The car will be getting new tires later this week, so I can snap some pictures later if I don't have what you're looking for.

The setup is UAS air bags paired with rebuilt HKS hipermax dampers. The ride is pretty stiff and the car still handles really well. It wasn't what I was expecting it to be at all.

The firmness is dependent on how much air is in the bag. I run 90 psi in the front bags and 70 in the rear bags currently. I've been told that if I were to swap the hks dampers for megan or bc racing that the car would ride a lot softer and smoother. The alternative would be to run less air in the bags, but then I wouldn't be able to drive with the car as low.
Old 08-31-15, 01:16 AM
MackOnDeez
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
The wheels are actually polished and they are incredibly high maintenance. I don't know if I would ever get another polished mesh wheel again.

What would you like to see about the suspension? I'll try to see if I have a picture of it. The car will be getting new tires later this week, so I can snap some pictures later if I don't have what you're looking for.

The setup is UAS air bags paired with rebuilt HKS hipermax dampers. The ride is pretty stiff and the car still handles really well. It wasn't what I was expecting it to be at all.

The firmness is dependent on how much air is in the bag. I run 90 psi in the front bags and 70 in the rear bags currently. I've been told that if I were to swap the hks dampers for megan or bc racing that the car would ride a lot softer and smoother. The alternative would be to run less air in the bags, but then I wouldn't be able to drive with the car as low.
haha i feel you on the "mesh" styled wheels some tender loving with those fingers to get them looking right, at least it keeps the wife happy if ya kno what i mean

ive been thinking to spray over the white paint job 4 a new color but everytime i see your car it makes me change my mind.

cool shots btw, the booty shot is what got me.
Old 08-31-15, 01:09 PM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Absolutely gorgeous.
Old 08-31-15, 01:14 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It's the ride is indeed beautiful!!!
I was just wanted to know how actually bag and the shock installed, also wanted to know if I can use any coilover setup For the air bags?
Old 08-31-15, 05:39 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by MackOnDeez
haha i feel you on the "mesh" styled wheels some tender loving with those fingers to get them looking right, at least it keeps the wife happy if ya kno what i mean

ive been thinking to spray over the white paint job 4 a new color but everytime i see your car it makes me change my mind.

cool shots btw, the booty shot is what got me.
I think the white looks good with stock body, but when I get a kit the car will be resprayed a different color.

Originally Posted by aswang
Absolutely gorgeous.
Thank you. Hopefully in a couple of years my mod list will be comparable to your car.

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
It's the ride is indeed beautiful!!!
I was just wanted to know how actually bag and the shock installed, also wanted to know if I can use any coilover setup For the air bags?
The air bag replaces the spring on the shock. The UAS air bag can fit over any shock that is 2.14" in diameter. Off the top of my head that means megan, BC, HKS, tein cs v2, and PBM (I think). Stance and other model tein coilovers for the sc/supra won't work from my experience.

Old 08-31-15, 09:44 PM
Luxor
Pole Position

Received 36 Likes on 31 Posts

Your SC looks amazing!
Old 08-31-15, 11:38 PM
1of120
Lead Lap

Received 24 Likes on 7 Posts

Wow that thing is a jaw dropper!!!!! Looks amazing
Old 09-03-15, 06:08 AM
aswang
Lexus Test Driver

Received 20 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe

Thank you. Hopefully in a couple of years my mod list will be comparable to your car.
To me, your wheels make all the difference. I would love to have a set. I was debating whether to go air suspension, but was skeptical mixing that setup with my HP levels.

My signature is pretty deceiving since the SC is currently under the knife again. I've had this car forever, and I've just been working on it slowly over the years. More so currently than ever though.
Old 09-03-15, 05:34 PM
Seize
Loves Snickerdoodles!

Received 68 Likes on 53 Posts

Very nice
Old 09-03-15, 06:00 PM
97-SC300
Lexus Fanatic

Received 128 Likes on 107 Posts

That looks great!
Old 09-04-15, 10:05 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Luxor
Your SC looks amazing!
Originally Posted by 1of120
Wow that thing is a jaw dropper!!!!! Looks amazing
Originally Posted by Seize
Very nice
Originally Posted by 97-SC300
That looks great!
Thanks everyone!

Originally Posted by aswang
To me, your wheels make all the difference. I would love to have a set. I was debating whether to go air suspension, but was skeptical mixing that setup with my HP levels.

My signature is pretty deceiving since the SC is currently under the knife again. I've had this car forever, and I've just been working on it slowly over the years. More so currently than ever though.
I was very happy when I got these wheels because I've always wanted them since I first bought my SC. I've been collecting parts for 10 years (owned the car for 8), but my car has always been mostly stock up until 6 months ago when I bought the wheels and the mods just kind of snowballed after that.

I have a lot of mixed feelings about the air suspension. When I'm just cruising around and the car is parked slammed I love it, but when I want to play with the car in the middle of the night on an empty road I know the air can handle it with no problems, but mentally I don't have the same confidence in the car compared to when it was on coils.

That looks like a very solid mod list, so if the car is under the knife again I can only assume it'll get better.
Old 09-05-15, 06:55 PM
Kira X
美少女戦士セーラームーン

Received 409 Likes on 337 Posts

That looks awesome! I don't see too many SC's on air. How difficult was it to install and how do you like air on your SC?
Old 09-06-15, 10:22 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Kira X
That looks awesome! I don't see too many SC's on air. How difficult was it to install and how do you like air on your SC?
I can't think of more than 10 members with air. A few of them started off as the same kits getting passed around from car to car (mine included).

I've installed air on 6 or 7 different cars by now with mine being the 3rd SC, so its easy for me now. It's very intimidating the first time you see how many components are involved, but once assembled it is really simple. I would say the hardest part about the install is figuring out where to put everything in the trunk since the SC is limited on space. I'd recommend getting everything to work and leak testing off the car. I would say the install should take a week with all the testing.

The air suspension is a love/hate thing on my car. I currently have the air suspension listed for sale locally. For the right price i'll sell it, but if no one buys it I'll gladly keep it.

Quick Reply: My 98 SC300 on air suspension