SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Tanin vs Lextech Personal Experience

Search this Thread

Old 08-27-15, 11:41 AM
Oconee1985
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Tanin vs Lextech Personal Experience

Figured I would post my experience with these two companies. About a year and half ago I sent Lextech my sc400's cluster and a/c to have the bulbs and needles replaced. Fortunately I had a tracking number and saw that they received it and after about two weeks of not hearing from them I had to start continually sending them emails etc to get responses and finally after several excuses I got my cluster back after about 6 weeks. I plugged it in and the needles were dim and half the backlit bulbs on the cluster didnt even work. I sent a complaint and Lextech told me I could send it back for them to look at but at that point I just decided to live with it versus being without the cluster for who knew how long.

Fast forward to 2015 and I now own a 92 5spd and I decided to give Tanin a try based on some of the reviews I had read here on Clublexus. On my cluster all the backlit bulbs were burned out, the needles on the RPM & Speed were out and neither needle worked they would sometimes bounce around. So I sent it in to have them fixed and for all the backlit bulbs to be replaced and for the needles to be replaced with their blue V3s.

Also I sent the original ECU that was bad when I bought the car and figured I would try and have them rebuild but with the condition it was in I wasn't too hopeful. So having said all of that I sent the cluster to them via Fedex last week on a Tuesday so they got it last Wednesday and then this Tuesday I got an email asking for me to call them. On Wednesday I finally got a chance to call them and spoke with a nice helpful lady by the name of Kathy who told me that my ECU was beyond repair and that my cluster would need the RPM & Speed boards replaced and may need new motors but they were hopeful that the cluster wouldnt need them but they would call me back and let me know but either way it would ship back out to me the next day. A few hours later I got a call letting me know that they were able to repair without having to replace the motors and that the cluster would ship the next day after I received the invoice and paid. Today I received the invoice paid it and sent them and email with the paypal confirmation and immediately got a thank you email and notice that the cluster would ship out today.

So in recap NEVER USE LEXTECH !!! And Tanin received my Cluster and ECU and diagnosed and fixed what could be fixed and I should receive back with the total amount of time I was without it being less than 8 business days!!!

I will post some pictures when I get it reinstalled. If it looks half as good as their website it will be great.

Last edited by Oconee1985; 08-27-15 at 11:44 AM.
Old 08-27-15, 02:03 PM
Flygfsh
Driver

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Used Tannin a few times myself. They are what repairs and customer service are all about. A good small company providing a valuable service to its customers. Glad you have now "seen the light".
Old 08-27-15, 06:00 PM
SC400slide
In Recovery Mode

Received 33 Likes on 27 Posts

Upon reading about Lextech, I'm glad I postponed sending out my cluster and HVAC to be rebuilt. Tanin an excellent job on both.
Old 08-27-15, 06:36 PM
ibizaflu
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I originally sent my manual cluster to Lextech about 4+ years ago, no issues, all good.

Sent my cluster to Lextech a month ago. Still no cluster. However, I did receive an email from the original owner Brian who now re assumed the company due to the negative feedback. He indicated that he would going to make all the clusters that were received would be ready to go and shipped by Friday.

Well... I haven't heard since that email was sent (2 days ago) but I am hope to be getting it back soon with the level of quality one would assume.

Holding my breath, but I hope I don't run out of air...
Old 08-27-15, 07:51 PM
twizted
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Weird years ago lextech was very respectable. Like most of these good companies, sound like they went to crap. I had everything done by them 6-7 years ago...
Old 08-28-15, 07:09 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by ibizaflu
I originally sent my manual cluster to Lextech about 4+ years ago, no issues, all good.

Sent my cluster to Lextech a month ago. Still no cluster. However, I did receive an email from the original owner Brian who now re assumed the company due to the negative feedback. He indicated that he would going to make all the clusters that were received would be ready to go and shipped by Friday.

Well... I haven't heard since that email was sent (2 days ago) but I am hope to be getting it back soon with the level of quality one would assume.

Holding my breath, but I hope I don't run out of air...
I'm curious how this goes, but it's been so long I don't see how or why anyone could ever trust the Lextech name even if this is true. Like why risk it when Tanin does such a good job.

Tanin far exceeded my expectations with their repair on my ECU and gauge cluster. The Lextech name is pretty much dead, trying to turn it around now after a few years of horrible experiences is going to be near impossible.
Old 08-28-15, 07:36 AM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

re-assumed... right... I don't buy it at all but that is the story. good luck.
Old 08-28-15, 08:10 AM
RedPhoenix
Lexus Fanatic

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

I had mine done by lextech in 2010 and it was a great/professional job. Sad to see this happen now.
Old 08-29-15, 02:12 PM
Takamashi
Driver School Candidate

I sent out of my cluster and my ac unit to Lextech in 2013 and I did not have any problems.
Old 08-30-15, 04:02 PM
Oconee1985
Driver

Installed the Cluster a few minutes ago and looks great!!!!!

Old 08-30-15, 09:34 PM
sunny416
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

cluster looks amazing.
Old 09-01-15, 04:52 PM
ibizaflu
Driver School Candidate

Well...anyone know where I could get another cluster? Appears I'm not getting mine back. Supposed to be shipped back last Friday, then told it would be shipped out this evening. Which it wasn't. Ugh... Correspondence was little and my patience is now the same.
Old 09-01-15, 05:10 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

PM Aliga he parts out cars in the SC classifieds here and he may have one laying around or coming in. Some members may even have a spare so try a WTB (want to buy) ad in the classifieds. Also if you have a 300 you need a 300 cluster, and for a 400 a 400 cluster. if you get the wrong model the rpm's wont read right.
Also don't forget the cars mileage is stored in the cluster itself, so try and get one with close mileage, its really terrible for this to happen but things you need to know.
Old 09-01-15, 05:28 PM
ibizaflu
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Ali SC3
PM Aliga he parts out cars in the SC classifieds here and he may have one laying around or coming in. Some members may even have a spare so try a WTB (want to buy) ad in the classifieds. Also if you have a 300 you need a 300 cluster, and for a 400 a 400 cluster. if you get the wrong model the rpm's wont read right.
Also don't forget the cars mileage is stored in the cluster itself, so try and get one with close mileage, its really terrible for this to happen but things you need to know.
Since they did a great job in the past I assumed they would do the same this time. Really messed up... Thanks for the suggestions. Also appreciate the info about the mileage being stored in the cluster.
Old 09-02-15, 02:47 AM
Munch517
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ibizaflu
Since they did a great job in the past I assumed they would do the same this time. Really messed up... Thanks for the suggestions. Also appreciate the info about the mileage being stored in the cluster.
I have an automatic cluster out of a '95 sc400, let me know if you're interested. I'm not really sure what it's worth to anyone though.

Quick Reply: Tanin vs Lextech Personal Experience