SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Help! Crashed 97 SC300 Repairable?

Search this Thread

Old 01-04-16, 11:56 PM
Tony0737
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help! Crashed 97 SC300 Repairable?

Hello, Unfortunately I crashed my sc about a year ago. I rear ended a jeep and this was the result of it. Ever since ive just had it sitting around, which was probably not the best thing i could have done. Just asking for some advice on what i should do next... The hit was pretty high so i dont think the frame was damaged. I have a dwp 97 SC to use as a parts car if i was to repair it. As far as the engine goes, the timing belt looks off so that would need to be fixed. Its hard to tell from the pics but the crank itself is bent slightly upwards. New engine maybe?

Is the damage repairable? How much would it cost and would it be worth it? How difficult would it be to swap everything over if possible? Thanks

Here are some pics of the car

Name:  IMG_3094.jpg
Views: 5353
Size:  238.2 KB

Name:  IMG_3101.jpg
Views: 5133
Size:  208.6 KB

Name:  IMG_3234.jpg
Views: 5086
Size:  208.5 KB

Name:  IMG_3236.jpg
Views: 5051
Size:  215.3 KB

Name:  IMG_3245.jpg
Views: 5027
Size:  181.5 KB
Old 01-05-16, 10:47 AM
minus500
Driver School Candidate

I don't think it would be worth fixing. Although the hit was high, that's still a lot of damage.
Old 01-05-16, 10:53 AM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Why do you want to repair this one in particular?
Also sitting around like that can cause more problems than the ones already caused by the accident.
Wouldn't be surprised if there was some frame damage behind the driver side fender, have you removed the body panels and inspected the frame?

I'd move on to another SC if it was me personally.
Old 01-05-16, 02:04 PM
tjmhillz
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Ouch.. Looks like it would need alot of work to repair. I would just use this as a parts car and get another SC.
Old 01-05-16, 02:16 PM
Ali SC3
Lexus Champion

Received 438 Likes on 368 Posts

Oh yeah that will buff out... but in all seriousness its not even close to worth fixing the labor alone would be tremendous to get all the smashed up supports straight (it looks like a lot of cut and welding will need to happen from here) and then the body panels straight, engine etc.. and EKnine is correct I bet there is some frame damage once you get in there.
Old 01-05-16, 03:54 PM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

If it's an auto, it's not worth it imo. Even if it's a manual, just buy another SC300 and move the transmission over. You'd just end up wasting time and spending just as much if not more than it would cost to get a used 92~95 sc300.
Old 01-05-16, 05:42 PM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 226 Likes on 206 Posts

It would be a good candidate for the old SC dune buggy.
Old 01-05-16, 06:05 PM
salimshah

Received 993 Likes on 898 Posts

Given time and money anything is possible, but a the end would you be satisfied/happy? I too agree with all that with the money you will need to spend, you will be happier with purchasing an alternate SC300.

Next question is what can you do with the current one. Sell the parts or junk it after selling as many parts as you can.

Salim
[how easy it is go give advice ]
Old 01-05-16, 06:16 PM
Tony0737
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by eknine9
Why do you want to repair this one in particular?
Also sitting around like that can cause more problems than the ones already caused by the accident.
Wouldn't be surprised if there was some frame damage behind the driver side fender, have you removed the body panels and inspected the frame?

I'd move on to another SC if it was me personally.

Thanks for all the input! The reason I was hoping to repair this one and not just getting another is because this is a 1/120... Factory 97 5 speed, classic green pearl. I havent removed anything from it besides the hood just because I havent really had the time. I dont want to just give up on it either. With that being said, thats why I was staying optimistic towards being repairable.

The other 97 Sc i have is a dwp auto with a bad trans. Doesnt go in reverse and has other symptoms of a trans that is about to reach the end of its life. I could swap the trans over but it still wouldnt be the same as an original 97 manual.
Old 01-05-16, 06:46 PM
Ramblerman
Intermediate

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Even if your frame isn't bent, though there is a good possibility of that, due to the fact of how far you moved the core support, it would have pulled the frame inward on the engine compartment side walls. you need a whole core support/ front clip cut from salvage yard, then cut yours off. then it will require going on a frame machine to be pulled & body aligned to correct dimensions. Then while its held in place you must weld the new core support in place, align hood & fenders. Also you'll need all the various other damaged parts replaced. Impact on the front of engine not a good thing & more than likely has damaged it also. Then paint & finish. Lets see I think that brings you to about 9945.99$ in damage & repairs. So do you still want to fix it or use it to build another one?
Old 01-05-16, 06:55 PM
mikef
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

1 of 120? Wow
Old 01-05-16, 08:05 PM
LEXXIUM
Pole Position

Received 40 Likes on 36 Posts

It's sad to see this one this way, if title is still clean and if you want to hold on to it, I say transfer all your good parts from your auto to this 5speed that's the only way to preserve it , but at the same time it has to be done right in order for it to bring cash to the table.
But since you don't have time on your hands to fix it, I would do just the the other way transfer all the good parts like suspension to the auto and make it a 5speed. Those are the only options to get it done cheaper
Old 01-06-16, 05:32 AM
TXMAG
Driver

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts

The only way it's "worth" fixing is if you have some SERIOUS sentimental attachment to it. I bet you're looking at some frame distortion and I wouldn't be surprised if there were engine/transmission issues as well.
Old 01-06-16, 10:52 AM
Kobrakai
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LEXXIUM
It's sad to see this one this way, if title is still clean and if you want to hold on to it, I say transfer all your good parts from your auto to this 5speed that's the only way to preserve it , but at the same time it has to be done right in order for it to bring cash to the table.
But since you don't have time on your hands to fix it, I would do just the the other way transfer all the good parts like suspension to the auto and make it a 5speed. Those are the only options to get it done cheaper
That's actually a good question.. You didn't mention if it was claimed as salvage or inspected for frame damage.. Because if it's clean, you COULD still fix it! You'd be using a donor car but after hearing a bit more about the car.. I think I personally understand your reasons for wanting to restore it now. If it's salvage though..
Old 01-08-16, 03:06 PM
Shrugy
Intermediate

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I would just pick out the interior parts and maybe some pieces of the car in very good condition.

Buy a roller SC and just swap the good parts over and have a much safer and most like more affordable car.

Quick Reply: Help! Crashed 97 SC300 Repairable?