Choice between two used cars - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-27-15, 08:05 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Choice between two used cars - Please Help

Hello,
I am currently in the market for a used car. I currently have an Acura RL that I am passing down to my daughter.

I am looking at a used SC to purchase. I have a question though that leads me to making this thread and asking for your input.

Is it worth buying a used SC with very low mileage which leads me to believe that none of the maintenance has been done on the car

Or

A car with reasonable mileage that has had maintenance done, ie. timing belt, etc.

Thanks!
Old 07-27-15, 09:18 AM
SMWallis
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by LuvKaya
Hello,
I am currently in the market for a used car. I currently have an Acura RL that I am passing down to my daughter.

I am looking at a used SC to purchase. I have a question though that leads me to making this thread and asking for your input.

Is it worth buying a used SC with very low mileage which leads me to believe that none of the maintenance has been done on the car

Or

A car with reasonable mileage that has had maintenance done, ie. timing belt, etc.

Thanks!

Sure everyone has their own opinion on this, so this is mine:

I've been watching SC prices on EBay and local on Craig's list now for about a year. You find two different types of cars for sale - beaters and then something that has been cared for by prior owners. Viewing car condition based on mileage is an interesting proposition as you find some of these cars with ridiculously low mileage for a 15 to 23 year old car.

Now I'm not saying that all these low mileage cream puffs have been rolled back, but it pays a buyer to know that you have service records to check what has been done to the car and that the miles are accurate. Would I buy a low mileage car? I'd love to if I had proof that someone only put a few thousand a year on it. Most of us don't drive like that, especially if you are looking at daily drivers.

Higher mileage vehicles may as you say have had the maintenance done. If so you can check, either ask to see service records or check with Lexus.com with the vin for work done by them.

Case in point, I bought a very nice condition SC300 back in January for $3800 (142,000mi). I have spent $3-4,000 on it since then, and expect to spend the same over the next year. When I sell I don't expect I will get much back out but it will be a value for the next owner, and will probably go for more than I initially paid for it.

Lastly, while I still watch SC prices on the internet, I am seeing higher asking prices now than a year ago. Maybe the market is starting to appreciate SC's more, as they should.
Old 07-27-15, 09:33 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Please post way more info on each car.
Lower mileage is desirable, but not the final answer obviously. They will all need maintenance be it the 60K mile maintenance, 120K mile maintenance, or 180K mile maintenance. At the end of the day, the higher mileage cars will be several maintenance cycles further along and closer to end of life. There are many exceptions but last year for a while, I had 3 Sc's. A 95' 5 speed at 68K, A 95' 400 at 125K and a 97' Sc300 at 230K. I'd take the 68K anytime although they all drove wonderfully and similarly. More little crap needed attention on the 230K car and this would just get worse until you replaced everything.
Old 07-27-15, 09:36 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by SMWallis
Sure everyone has their own opinion on this, so this is mine:

I've been watching SC prices on EBay and local on Craig's list now for about a year. You find two different types of cars for sale - beaters and then something that has been cared for by prior owners. Viewing car condition based on mileage is an interesting proposition as you find some of these cars with ridiculously low mileage for a 15 to 23 year old car.

Now I'm not saying that all these low mileage cream puffs have been rolled back, but it pays a buyer to know that you have service records to check what has been done to the car and that the miles are accurate. Would I buy a low mileage car? I'd love to if I had proof that someone only put a few thousand a year on it. Most of us don't drive like that, especially if you are looking at daily drivers.

Higher mileage vehicles may as you say have had the maintenance done. If so you can check, either ask to see service records or check with Lexus.com with the vin for work done by them.

Case in point, I bought a very nice condition SC300 back in January for $3800 (142,000mi). I have spent $3-4,000 on it since then, and expect to spend the same over the next year. When I sell I don't expect I will get much back out but it will be a value for the next owner, and will probably go for more than I initially paid for it.

Lastly, while I still watch SC prices on the internet, I am seeing higher asking prices now than a year ago. Maybe the market is starting to appreciate SC's more, as they should.
Hello,
Thank you for responding. I am looking for a car that I don't have to put money into it, right away anyway. The lower mileage car (according to VIN records) was a company car and then sold to a 2nd owner who i'm guessing used it for a second or third car, hence the low mileage. Kept in the garage, immaculate. But the VIN records also show no service at all for the past 18 years. I don't know what that means, good or bad for me. I'm not knowledgeable about cars so that's why I am here. I am going to look at it today after I leave work.

The next question I have is out of all the years of the SC, which year was the best built no problem car. Should I be looking at a particular year only? Say 1998 vs 2000? I've always heard to buy the first year of production because those are the best... not sure if SC is that way too.
Old 07-27-15, 09:43 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Please post way more info on each car.
Lower mileage is desirable, but not the final answer obviously. They will all need maintenance be it the 60K mile maintenance, 120K mile maintenance, or 180K mile maintenance. At the end of the day, the higher mileage cars will be several maintenance cycles further along and closer to end of life. There are many exceptions but last year for a while, I had 3 Sc's. A 95' 5 speed at 68K, A 95' 400 at 125K and a 97' Sc300 at 230K. I'd take the 68K anytime although they all drove wonderfully and similarly. More little crap needed attention on the 230K car and this would just get worse until you replaced everything.
Hello,
Thank you for responding.
The first car, SC300, has mileage under 40K and was a company car then sold. Very good condition selling for 15K. Even though the KBB is 10K.

The second car, SC400, has mileage @ 90K and being sold for 6500.

I'm not sure what else you would like as I don't know anything about cars. Except that I want to buy a used one that is reliable.
Old 07-27-15, 09:49 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

How low is the mileage? The one that sat is what I would go for. Many people on forums will say avoid a had that sat. I strongly disagree and have had great success with low mileage cars that sat for periods of time. If garaged, it can work out fine. I'd take 5 years in a garage vs potential for 5 years of burnouts with low oil pressure by some teenager. My 68K 5 speed sat for the better part of 10 years and it has been perfect. We tore it down to the block for a turbo build and everything looks great. We flushed fluids, changed hoses, etc., tuned it up and it was perfect. What makes you think the low mileage car has not had service. Only service at Lexus makes it onto the VIN records AFAIK.
Old 07-27-15, 09:55 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

How low is the mileage? The one that sat is what I would go for. Many people on forums will say avoid a had that sat. I strongly disagree and have had great success with low mileage cars that sat for periods of time. If garaged, it can work out fine. I'd take 5 years in a garage vs potential for 5 years of burnouts with low oil pressure by some teenager. My 68K 5 speed sat for the better part of 10 years and it has been perfect. We tore it down to the block for a turbo build and everything looks great. We flushed fluids, changed hoses, etc., tuned it up and it was perfect. What makes you think the low mileage car has not had service. Only service at Lexus makes it onto the VIN records AFAIK.
25K, which makes me think it was a persons 2nd or 3rd car. It was garage kept based on the ad and looks good. Do you think the price is reasonable?

Ohhh, I didn't know only Lexus service made it onto the VIN. thanks for clearing that up. I will have to do the timing belt and all that other good stuff too. LOL, but that is down the road.
Old 07-27-15, 10:14 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Hello,
Thank you for responding.
The first car, SC300, has mileage under 40K and was a company car then sold. Very good condition selling for 15K. Even though the KBB is 10K.

The second car, SC400, has mileage @ 90K and being sold for 6500.

I'm not sure what else you would like as I don't know anything about cars. Except that I want to buy a used one that is reliable.

Dude,

I would purchase the SC400 for $6,500 and expect to pay some money for normal maintenance. That still saves you thousands of dollars versus the overpriced SC300. You are aware the SC300 is a six cylinder and the SC400 is an eight cylinder? I'm assuming you are only interested in an automatic; only earlier year SC300s were offered with a 5-speed manual option. Purchasing a used car is no different whether it's a Ford or a Porsche. In the case of a Lexus, you're potentially purchasing a Toyota; a reliable vehicle assuming proper maintenance has been followed, again, just like any other vehicle.

If you aren't able/willing to work on a vehicle yourself, you need the service of a trusted independent mechanic that specializes in Japanese vehicles, specifically Toyota/Lexus. The vehicle you are interested in purchasing needs to have a full inspection performed by said mechanic. You will then know what the vehicle needs now or soon, or thousands of miles down the road. If you don't do this and simply purchase a car because it's shiny or the interior smells nice, then you are gambling.
Old 07-27-15, 10:27 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by freakness
Dude,

I would purchase the SC400 for $6,500 and expect to pay some money for normal maintenance. That still saves you thousands of dollars versus the overpriced SC300. You are aware the SC300 is a six cylinder and the SC400 is an eight cylinder? I'm assuming you are only interested in an automatic; only earlier year SC300s were offered with a 5-speed manual option. Purchasing a used car is no different whether it's a Ford or a Porsche. In the case of a Lexus, you're potentially purchasing a Toyota; a reliable vehicle assuming proper maintenance has been followed, again, just like any other vehicle.

If you aren't able/willing to work on a vehicle yourself, you need the service of a trusted independent mechanic that specializes in Japanese vehicles, specifically Toyota/Lexus. The vehicle you are interested in purchasing needs to have a full inspection performed by said mechanic. You will then know what the vehicle needs now or soon, or thousands of miles down the road. If you don't do this and simply purchase a car because it's shiny or the interior smells nice, then you are gambling.
Hello, thank you for responding.
This makes sense. I think the SC300 is overpriced due to low mileage and conditions. The SC400 has service all done at dealership.
Old 07-27-15, 11:01 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Thumbs up

Hello,
Thank you for responding. I am looking for a car that I don't have to put money into it, right away anyway. The lower mileage car (according to VIN records) was a company car and then sold to a 2nd owner who i'm guessing used it for a second or third car, hence the low mileage. Kept in the garage, immaculate. But the VIN records also show no service at all for the past 18 years. I don't know what that means, good or bad for me. I'm not knowledgeable about cars so that's why I am here. I am going to look at it today after I leave work.

The next question I have is out of all the years of the SC, which year was the best built no problem car. Should I be looking at a particular year only? Say 1998 vs 2000? I've always heard to buy the first year of production because those are the best... not sure if SC is that way too.
All years are great choices and differ minimally. The 98, 99, 2000 had a few upgrades and significantly more power and better gas mileage. Other than that, they are mostly the same. The low mileage car is way overpriced. It's priced for a collector who will just let it sit 10 more years. The 400 is priced decently but the market near you is good for Sc's. I'd look a bit more just in case. Keep looking and report what you find. We will be glad to help you find a great one, pending local inspection. What part of Va are you near? What year is the 400? Do you have pictures?

PS: You can enter VIN and get service history at Lexus on the Lexus owners site. I thought that was where you looked the car up.

Last edited by Studiogeek; 07-27-15 at 11:06 AM.
Old 07-27-15, 11:13 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

All years are great choices and differ minimally. The 98, 99, 2000 had a few upgrades and significantly more power and better gas mileage. Other than that, they are mostly the same. The low mileage car is way overpriced. It's priced for a collector who will just let it sit 10 more years. The 400 is priced decently but the market near you is good for Sc's. I'd look a bit more just in case. Keep looking and report what you find. We will be glad to help you find a great one, pending local inspection. What part of Va are you near? What year is the 400? Do you have pictures?

PS: You can enter VIN and get service history at Lexus on the Lexus owners site. I thought that was where you looked the car up.
no, the ad included a CARFAX report for the 2000 SC300

well the owner of the 1995 SC400 did say make a reasonable offer, he is open, what would be a good offer?
here is the ad:
had to remove

I called the dealership about the 2000 SC300, a rich man owned the car and would drive it to FL where he owned another house, lol. He had 4-5 cars!

And finally thank you!! I really appreciate all your help. I fell in love with this car many years ago and now that I'm back in the market, i'm getting excited again. I'm in NOVA, outside of Washington DC.

Last edited by LuvKaya; 07-27-15 at 11:40 AM.
Old 07-27-15, 11:34 AM
t2d2
Lead Lap

Received 228 Likes on 208 Posts

That '95 SC400 looks pretty much flawless. If it's had the major service (timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, etc.) done prior to being sold at 90k miles, I'd say go test drive it and try to get it for $5500 or less if you like it. "ANY reasonable offer" is pretty strong wording that they're motivated to sell. One-owner car and dealer maintained isn't going to be easy to find at that price point and mileage.

If it hasn't had that work done -- I'm always suspicious of cars sold right around major service interval mileage -- then use it as negotiating leverage relative to blue book value.

p.s. The craigslist linking isn't allowed anymore.
Old 07-27-15, 11:35 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

I'd jump on that 400. Take 5K cash over there. Say it's nearly your full budget now and the timing belt, water pump job may be coming up soon if its not listed on the VIN check at Lexus. Do the VIN ck immediately to see what is listed.
Old 07-27-15, 11:42 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by t2d2
That '95 SC400 looks pretty much flawless. If it's had the major service (timing belt, water pump, spark plugs, etc.) done prior to being sold at 90k miles, I'd say go test drive it and try to get it for $5500 or less if you like it. "ANY reasonable offer" is pretty strong wording that they're motivated to sell. One-owner car and dealer maintained isn't going to be easy to find at that price point and mileage.

If it hasn't had that work done -- I'm always suspicious of cars sold right around major service interval mileage -- then use it as negotiating leverage relative to blue book value.

p.s. The craigslist linking isn't allowed anymore.
ahhh, good point about major service intervals... I removed the link. Thanks for letting me know.

I'd jump on that 400. Take 5K cash over there. Say it's nearly your full budget now and the timing belt, water pump job may be coming up soon if its not listed on the VIN check at Lexus. Do the VIN ck immediately to see what is listed.
oh okay, thanks! I will ask for the VIN, 2 day old posting, hoping it didn't sell over the weekend.
Old 07-28-15, 07:25 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

well the person with 90K mile SC400 never contacted me back, so i'm guessing its sold...

back to looking... if I do go with a SC300, what am I missing... I currently drive an Acura RL...

Quick Reply: Choice between two used cars - Please Help