SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Choice between two used cars - Please Help

Search this Thread

Old 07-31-15, 01:24 PM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by flash9
That Red one at Koons is very nice and looks very clean. Basically it is a 15 year old car with two years worth if miles. I am sure in 2003 a Lexus SC300 with 25,600 miles would have sold for way more than $15K, but that seems like a very high price.

In April I did purchase this one owner 1997 Lexus SC300 with 83K miles for $7,200. Before going to look at the car they replaced the brakes and rotors. As part of the deal I had them do a complete timing belt with seals and water pump. These engines do need to have the timing belt serviced at 90K and that can easily cost ~$1,500.

But you are correct, these are great driving and handling cars.

Good Luck with your search.
OMG your car is beautiful!! How did you find your car?
Old 07-31-15, 01:59 PM
flash9
Pit Crew

Received 13 Likes on 9 Posts
Cool Find the car

Originally Posted by LuvKaya
OMG your car is beautiful!! How did you find your car?
I found the car using a saved Craigslist Search using Google.

I live in Raleigh, NC and I searched the other local NC Craigslists. This car was located in Wilmington, NC, about 120 miles away. I was alone one weekend and decided to drive down and take a look. It was at a small dealership that sold mostly high-end cars that were 3-10 years old with lower mileage. This was the lowest priced car they had on their lot. I took my tools intending to give the car a though examination. When I showed up they gave me the keys and called the shop about 5 miles away that does their service work. They said I could take it down there and they would put it on a lift for me to check out. When I got to the shop, they presented me with the report they created when the car was brought into them. It listed that the brakes NEEDED to be done (so that was done at that time), and the following was recommend.
  • Complete Timing Belt (Due at 90K)
  • Small Leak at Transmission Pan
  • Tune-up - New Spark plugs and Wires
  • Tires - Had plenty of tread, but were dry rotting due to age.
With car up on the lift and me looking it over, mechanic after mechanic commented that when the car came in about a month earlier to be checked out they all would have liked to purchase it, but at the dealership price of $9,000 it was too high.

I went back and offered $7,000 cash with the car dealer having that repair shop do the complete timing belt. They countered $7,500. I said that was too high with it needing tires and transmission pan dropped, and started to leave. The guy said he could do $7,200 with the timing belt.

DEAL

Since bringing it home, the local tire shop installed new Hankook Ventus S1 Noble 2 Tires, and I dropped the transmission pan and installed the new gasket on the pan. (No more leak) Last weekend I replaced the Spark Plugs and Wires, not a hard job but more involved than any other car I have ever worked on.

A couple weeks ago I drove it from Raleigh to DC and back for a long weekend. It drives like a dream.

More Pictures:
Attached Thumbnails Choice between two used cars - Please Help-dg_800.jpg   Choice between two used cars - Please Help-2015-05-12-08.02.05-2.jpg   Choice between two used cars - Please Help-ag_800.jpg   Choice between two used cars - Please Help-rw_800.jpg  

Last edited by flash9; 08-03-15 at 01:41 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 07-31-15, 02:57 PM
kln552
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If you can document the mileage and service, low mileage "garage queen" can be a great find. That said, an SC that has been driven, well cared for, and garaged can be the best value . . .I bought my current (2nd) SC400 from an elderly gent in Dallas back in 2009. It's a 1997 black on black leather, and had 66K miles at the time. Beautiful car, chromed BBS rims, flawless original leather. He had service records, the car had been garaged, and though the miles were low, it has been driven regularly. I bought for $12K, drove it home to CA. Since then, I've spent about $6,000 in maintenance, and another $2,000 in minor mods over past 6 years, and just turned 140K miles. People still stop me in parking lots and ask about the car, and I do think the market is beginning to rise for unmolested, exceptional cars. I know I wouldn't sell mine for less than $8K, and I'd probably be stupid to do that. Shop carefully, get the best car you can find/afford, take care of it and you can drive it a long, long time. Good luck
Old 08-01-15, 11:07 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

I'm at the dealership and the car is sweet. But they won't budge from $14,877, ugggghhhhhh.
Old 08-01-15, 11:25 AM
freakness
Pole Position

I'm at the dealership and the car is sweet. But they won't budge from $14,877, ugggghhhhhh.

Female dude,

I would walk away. It's simply too much money.
Old 08-01-15, 12:02 PM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by freakness
Female dude,

I would walk away. It's simply too much money.
Lolololololol @female dude
What do you think is a reasonable price for the red car, in that condition.
Old 08-01-15, 12:33 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Lolololololol @female dude
What do you think is a reasonable price for the red car, in that condition.

Fd,

I would want an independent inspection done before anything else. Low-mileage doesn't mean that rubber hoses, belts, and tires, don't decay, they do. A timing belt, for example, should be replaced around 100,000 miles OR seven years or so, depending upon climate. Tires shouldn't be driven after five to seven years from date of manufacture. An independent inspection may turn up a nasty surprise or two, or nothing at all. That's what you need to know before making an offer.
Old 08-01-15, 05:49 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Can you get the seller of the black car to agree to repair the two issues for the same money?
Old 08-01-15, 08:10 PM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
Can you get the seller of the black car to agree to repair the two issues for the same money?

yes, the black on black was at the dealership and they said they would fix everything before purchase. But since I don't know anything about cars, they could tell me anything and I really don't know if it was fixed. The vibrating gas pedal turned me off from that vehicle.I know its rare but there was cosmetic things that doesn't show up on the pictures.

I found another one close to me black with tan interior ( I know...), The CARFAX report looks great...

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_0

if I can get them to do the timing belt for me, it may be a go. I will test drive it next week.
Old 08-01-15, 08:12 PM
LuvKaya
Rookie

Originally Posted by freakness
Fd,

I would want an independent inspection done before anything else. Low-mileage doesn't mean that rubber hoses, belts, and tires, don't decay, they do. A timing belt, for example, should be replaced around 100,000 miles OR seven years or so, depending upon climate. Tires shouldn't be driven after five to seven years from date of manufacture. An independent inspection may turn up a nasty surprise or two, or nothing at all. That's what you need to know before making an offer.

sound and solid advice. Thanks!
Old 08-02-15, 07:42 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Exclamation Go Look at That Black and Tan

yes, the black on black was at the dealership and they said they would fix everything before purchase. But since I don't know anything about cars, they could tell me anything and I really don't know if it was fixed. The vibrating gas pedal turned me off from that vehicle.I know its rare but there was cosmetic things that doesn't show up on the pictures.

I found another one close to me black with tan interior ( I know...), The CARFAX report looks great...

http://www.carfax.com/VehicleHistory...&partner=CDM_0

if I can get them to do the timing belt for me, it may be a go. I will test drive it next week.
That one looks very nice.
Looking at the Car Fax it appears that most likely the timing belt and water pump was done on 12/16/2008 at 77,546.
It lists the following work:
Recommended maintenance performed
Rear differential fluid flushed/changed
Transmission serviced
Battery serviced
Tire(s) balanced
Safety inspection completed
Water pump replaced
Drive belt(s) replaced

Air filter replaced
Brake fluid flushed/changed

Then on 9/26/2013 with 90,138 miles they did this work:
Maintenance inspection completed
Four wheel alignment performed
Washed/detailed
Oil and filter changed
Four tires mounted and balanced
Differential fluid flushed/changed
Spark plug(s) replaced

This car was well taken care of and always service at Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria. I would make a call to their service department to confirm the Drive Belts included the Timing Belt, but with the water pump replaced, I think there is a high probability. In today's cars changing the spark plugs is all there really is to doing a tuneup, and the brakes fluid was flushed in 2008 and again in 2012, it should be done every 3-4 years, but I have seen many cars that it has never been done.

I would still try to get the car inspected by an independent car shop. I put together the attached document for inspecting a Lexus SC300 that you might find helpful.
Attached Files
Old 08-02-15, 08:08 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

That one looks very nice.
Looking at the Car Fax it appears that most likely the timing belt and water pump was done on 12/16/2008 at 77,546.
It lists the following work:
Recommended maintenance performed
Rear differential fluid flushed/changed
Transmission serviced
Battery serviced
Tire(s) balanced
Safety inspection completed
Water pump replaced
Drive belt(s) replaced

Air filter replaced
Brake fluid flushed/changed

Then on 9/26/2013 with 90,138 miles they did this work:
Maintenance inspection completed
Four wheel alignment performed
Washed/detailed
Oil and filter changed
Four tires mounted and balanced
Differential fluid flushed/changed
Spark plug(s) replaced

This car was well taken care of and always service at Lindsay Lexus of Alexandria. I would make a call to their service department to confirm the Drive Belts included the Timing Belt, but with the water pump replaced, I think there is a high probability. In today's cars changing the spark plugs is all there really is to doing a tuneup, and the brakes fluid was flushed in 2008 and again in 2012, it should be done every 3-4 years, but I have seen many cars that it has never been done.

I would still try to get the car inspected by an independent car shop. I put together the attached document for inspecting a Lexus SC300 that you might find helpful.
Thank you so much for the checklist!!!

oh wow, you know what, you are right! The timing belt was replaced!
from Lexus report:
WATER PUMP PLEASE REPLACE WATER PUMP, TIMING BELT AND DRIVE BELTS -SERVICE COMPLETED
I don't know what else I would look to have replaced. I am getting excited fellas and thanks to everyone for all of your help! Simply wonderful, and I am grateful.

My mechanic is in DC. But if anyone has an expert SC mechanic in DMV area, please let me know. I can take the car there, if not, I will just use my mechanic.
Old 08-03-15, 08:43 AM
flash9
Pit Crew

Exclamation KBB Pricing Report

You might find the attached 1998 Lexus SC400 KBB Pricing Report to be helpful.
Attached Files
Old 08-03-15, 09:33 AM
LuvKaya
Rookie

You might find the attached 1998 Lexus SC400 KBB Pricing Report to be helpful.
Yes!!! It's very helpful. I think the pricing is fair, it is higher than a Craigslist ad I saw. I may not be able to negotiate down like you did. So I'll be prepared. Lol.
Old 08-03-15, 10:32 AM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 551 Likes on 370 Posts

Originally Posted by Studiogeek
120K Sc's are young adults with long lives ahead of them. The good thing is, they outlast most motors and trannys AND those parts are really cheap if they ever fail.

You can get great 1UZ or 2JZ for less than $500 all the time.

Don't worry, just have a really good, SC knowledgable mechanic go over it well.
98+ means it's a vvti car and the engine parts can be a little more expensive and complicated compared to 92-97. With that being said, I'm glad I have a 98 SC300, and I'm constantly looking for a clean 98+ SC400.

man o man

that SC drives like butter!!!!! It was so smooth, I fell instantly in love.

That particular car did have problems such as a vibration coming from the gas pedal. It was a weird sensation since I never felt that before. The gas was on E so I don't know why it happened. The passenger door lock was having trouble too, couldn't open from outside... scratches and a loud grinding noise coming from the back. I was told it was the antenna going up and down. It was loud and unpleasant.

But the ride, it was nice!!! I'm now going to search harder for something I can buy at a reasonable price.
1. Gas Pedal vibration - I've driven about 30 to 40 different SC's by now and I remember the pedal vibration in about 4 of them. I never figured out what caused it, but that alone made me walk away from buying the car.

2. Door handle - This is usually caused by a plastic clip breaking on the door handle. It's an easy $3 fix if no one has rolled down the window since it broke. Once the clip breaks the rod it was attached to gets in the way of the window, so if someone rolled down the window it bends the rod and it never works the same after.

3. Rear noise - If it was the antenna it would only make noise when the radio is turned on and off (when the antenna is supposed to move). If there is always a noise I would think the rear brakes need to be changed.

Quick Reply: Choice between two used cars - Please Help