SC- 1st Gen (1992-2000)

Regular Car Reviews

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-15, 01:56 PM
Tabaka
Lexus Champion

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by eknine9
That actually is not Bobby Sanders SC. There was a thread about thatdudeinlue's review and we found the member who's SC was in the video.
I believe Bobby sold his car (same one shown in the review) and picked up a VW CC and bagged it. The new owner had a review done.
Old 07-29-15, 05:48 PM
eknine9
Lexus Test Driver

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Tabaka
I believe Bobby sold his car (same one shown in the review) and picked up a VW CC and bagged it. The new owner had a review done.
No, its not Bobby Sanders.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ws-a-99-a.html

The guy who owned it posted in that thread.
Old 07-29-15, 09:39 PM
DrAtomica
Intermediate

Received 65 Likes on 41 Posts

Originally Posted by OBEEWON
He's like 20 min from me. But I like the fact no one knows what an SC is. More popularity means less ones for good prices and more expensive parts blah blah blah.
I believe you're thinking it the wrong way, more coverage means more appreciation of the vehicle, more aftermarket support, more recognition of the vehicle and perhaps more similar to OEM parts available. The SC is like this really really silent guy sitting in the back of the class who gets amazing grades but know one really knows who he is. We have the Supra, 300ZX, E36 M3, 240SX and what not sitting in front of the class, they just had more chances to appear on camera more. If Mr.Regular reviews an SC the car community will know what a gem it is and I know some of you might have that mentality of "Hey I've known about it since the beginning and been taking care of it, I deserve this car to have for myself" but more coverage will just help us in the long run.

There is this hidden aura about the SC that only the owners, as you go on the road and see an SC come on the other side, slowly you two get closer, look at each other and give a sign to each other. You see this beautiful, low, wide, sleek design vehicle come closer and closer and time just slows down a bit., and as you pass by you smile at the other driver. That's what the SC is all about, that's why we love to drive these cars. The fact that because of drivers like us, we have brought it to such a community that we can all love and appreciate the SC so well. We have a very unique community, very different then other car forums and even other Lexus models. If Mr.Regular does review our car it's just to show how far as dedicated driver's to the SC, how far we have gotten it, bringing it back from the old case in the basement.
Old 07-30-15, 02:32 PM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by DrAtomica
I believe you're thinking it the wrong way, more coverage means more appreciation of the vehicle, more aftermarket support, more recognition of the vehicle and perhaps more similar to OEM parts available. The SC is like this really really silent guy sitting in the back of the class who gets amazing grades but know one really knows who he is. We have the Supra, 300ZX, E36 M3, 240SX and what not sitting in front of the class, they just had more chances to appear on camera more. If Mr.Regular reviews an SC the car community will know what a gem it is and I know some of you might have that mentality of "Hey I've known about it since the beginning and been taking care of it, I deserve this car to have for myself" but more coverage will just help us in the long run.

There is this hidden aura about the SC that only the owners, as you go on the road and see an SC come on the other side, slowly you two get closer, look at each other and give a sign to each other. You see this beautiful, low, wide, sleek design vehicle come closer and closer and time just slows down a bit., and as you pass by you smile at the other driver. That's what the SC is all about, that's why we love to drive these cars. The fact that because of drivers like us, we have brought it to such a community that we can all love and appreciate the SC so well. We have a very unique community, very different then other car forums and even other Lexus models. If Mr.Regular does review our car it's just to show how far as dedicated driver's to the SC, how far we have gotten it, bringing it back from the old case in the basement.
I would hesitate to tell a man he is thinking wrong because he is thinking differently from you. I can see both points to some degree. I don't personally care who recognizes my car and don't require the smiles and validation but I understand others that do. On one hand, more aftermarket parts would be nice however it is unlikely at this point. Keep in mind what Fast and Furious has done to the Supra. If you were not already in the game, you have to be wealthy to get in it now.
Personally, I would just mainly enjoy the process of reading the review of the boosted SC.

SG
Old 07-31-15, 01:17 AM
KahnBB6

Received 1,221 Likes on 856 Posts

I can see some upsides to more exposure for the SC series in reviews or film. As long as there is a legend, any model of car can remain relevant. However in the case of the Supra it's not only the hype from a film franchise (and poor examples at that compared to actual "car films", sorry to fans. I've felt that way since 2001) but also the allure of a low production car that really was king of the hill in its original top trim level, which only adds to the skyrocketed resale values. I do feel turbo SC's are under-appreciated but they will never hit the values of MKIV's because of originality.

I also agree with StudioGeek that while I always feel an affinity with other owners here or at car meets, etc. it's not at all the main reason I own and drive my SC. That, simply is because the thing is outwardly a classic Lexus/Toyota that inwardly drives like a ballistic missile of a muscle car and is entirely pleasing to operate from the driver's seat That's the #1 basis upon which to evaluate any car. I'm very happy for the community because like minds all chip in for mutual support and ideas. I wouldn't be here if I didn't feel that way. But I contend that when you set these cars up just right there is certainly faster, better handling, newer, different, etc. but the 92-00 SC/Soarer is just a great classic muscle car design. At least with some mild coaxing.

That's what I'd love to see more appreciation for over time. As Mr. Regular so likes to point out for some models in his reviews (BRZ/FR-S, 240SX, Supra, Mustang, Camaro, Corvette, etc.) the 1st gen SC's are similarly another choice in the "this car is a canvas, make it what you want" philosophy. And here on this forum we tend to do this. No two cars are alike whether they are closer to "stock like" or heavily customized.

JZ engine, transmission and rear end parts are very available but cosmetic parts will be the difficult things as time marches on. Even the Supra MKIII and MKIV aren't immune to this. Some of the most publicized high performance cars in the world still have this issue. But at least in the Japanese car tuning world there seems to be just enough to get by with.

Any automotive review of these cars will help them to remain a little bit more relevant in the long term. Their easily achieved performance potential does help in this. Any kind of movie exposure, on the other hand... would have to be very substantial. An SC would need to be a very featured car made cool in the context of the film for there to be any noticeable impact.

I feel all of this is very noble thinking and so since I love the model series anyway, it's all gravy if there is popular media exposure.

However I'm also content to enjoy mine by the mere turn of the key regardless

Last edited by KahnBB6; 07-31-15 at 01:24 AM.
Old 07-31-15, 04:43 AM
Studiogeek
Lexus Champion

Received 15 Likes on 11 Posts
Thumbs up

^ BRAVO ^ Well put!
Old 07-31-15, 03:10 PM
ashtray
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Frankly, I'd be upset if this character did a review on our cars...
Old 08-11-15, 05:24 PM
Joey-E
Lead Lap

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I was just thinking of him doing a review for our cars recently as well.

Originally Posted by ashtray
Frankly, I'd be upset if this character did a review on our cars...
Lol Yeah could be more harm than good. haha