Help. Front left door speaker connector doesn't match oem speakers

Search this Thread

Old 07-22-15, 09:47 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Help. Front left door speaker connector doesn't match oem speakers

Hello,

My 1995 SC300 project is slowly progressing. I purchased the car a few months ago; it had been abused/neglected. Factory door speakers/housings were missing and I purchased a used set of Pioneer speaker housings. I am under the impression that the Nakamichi and Pioneer connections are the same so it doesn't matter if my car came originally with a Nakamichi radio; it should be 'plug-and-play'. The only two-wire female connector (there is no other two-wire connector) in the driver door panel does not match the male Pioneer speaker plug.

This is the existing two-wire plug at my left (driver)-side door.

Fuzzy view.

It does not fit into the Pioneer speaker housing plug. Here is the Pioneer plug.

The orange plug for the tweeter fits into both of the Pioneer plugs; it seems the existing female plug is the problem.

The two-wire female plug appears to be factory wired. There's no odd splice of any kind. Either Lexus used two different type plugs over the years or someone replaced the plug with a slightly different connector for their custom speaker enclosure (which was removed from the car when I purchased it) and the modification is contained within the clear plug which is why it appears factory.

Does anyone have insight as to what is going on? The existing two-wire plug wires are pink and red/white. I was under the impression it would be blue and purple but again, Lexus/Toyota may have changed things over the years.

Thank you in advance,

Last edited by freakness; 07-22-15 at 09:53 PM.
Old 07-22-15, 09:52 PM
Blkexcoupe
Lead Lap

Received 549 Likes on 369 Posts

If I remember correctly that first 2 wire plug is for the light on the door.
Old 07-22-15, 09:57 PM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Blkexcoupe
If I remember correctly that first 2 wire plug is for the light on the door.

Dude,

If that's the case then my speaker connection is missing entirely as there's no other two-wire connector on the harness; nothing snipped, no loose wires, it's just not there. The connectors at the center console have been butchered and it wouldn't surprised me if the previous owner simply started cutting out 'extra' wires that he wasn't using for audio.

* sigh *
Old 07-22-15, 10:18 PM
freakness
Pole Position

* Update *

Dudes,

Okay. I figured it all out. My driver-side door speaker wiring was removed by the previous owner. I'll probably find where he cut it somewhere along the wiring harness perhaps as far as the under the dash or even all the way to the missing oem amplifier; who knows. Yes, the mystery connector is for the door courtesy light. My passenger side speaker wiring has been cut as well, but it's obvious where the cut was made and will be an easy repair.

* sigh *
Old 07-23-15, 08:08 AM
oldManTan
Lexus Champion

Received 49 Likes on 41 Posts

just rewire it instead of trying to fix, most likely corroded or oxidized wires. since you don't have an amp or anything i'm guessing you'll be getting an aftermarket or are you restoring to stock? i say go all aftermarket, but that's just my 2 cents
Old 07-24-15, 07:49 AM
freakness
Pole Position

Originally Posted by oldManTan
just rewire it instead of trying to fix, most likely corroded or oxidized wires. since you don't have an amp or anything i'm guessing you'll be getting an aftermarket or are you restoring to stock? i say go all aftermarket, but that's just my 2 cents

Dude,

I'm restoring it to stock although replacing the 4-inch oem speakers with something after-market. I went through the speaker wiring throughout the car and found that most of the wiring is intact except for all the connectors in the trunk have been cut as well as the front-left (driver) door speaker connection. However I did find the pink/violet (positive and negative) speaker wires reaching the door so it's just a matter of making a custom connection to finish installing that speaker enclosure, easy enough.